User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I think a LOT of guys who are great workers as company drivers and have it in their blood to do this job are very fearful to become an O/O. I know I am. Ignorance fuels my fear and I hope this thread enlightens me (and maybe others) on what's really involved being an O/O.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Senior Board Member

When I finally did mine it took about 4 weeks total, start to finish including IRP plates with cab card. I had a service do my IRP registration.
I had my paperwork 3 quarters of the way filled out and decided to let the service finish. IFTA is like $8 bucks and a form to fill out. Comes back in about 3 weeks. The service wanted $60 to do my IFTA, I said no thank you, I'll send my $8 dollar check and do it myself. Most things you can do yourself. Only reason I had my IRP done by a service is I did not want to go to Albany, NY and get turned down because I forgot some piece of paper. To me that is the only service worth paying for.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Sounds pretty easy actually.

I should get my own authority and everything.

How long does it take generally to get everything in order?

It took me 4 weeks. I live in Tx. Your Mc number will be issued in just 2 days. That is when you need to buy insurance right away so that it will stay on file with FMSCA for 16 business days and tha your authority will be active. During this time while waiting you can apply for your plates,UCR,and IFTA. In Tx IFTA takes 2 weeks and they don't allow walkins. Also make sure you take a drug test and have a safety program in place. You will get TONS of phone calls when your Mc number is issued offering this service for 100.00 a year. It is well worth it. All in all,everything falls in place in 4 weeks and you will be ready to hunt and devour. :lol:
Old 11-25-2007, 12:58 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82
When I finally did mine it took about 4 weeks total, start to finish including IRP plates with cab card. I had a service do my IRP registration.
I had my paperwork 3 quarters of the way filled out and decided to let the service finish. IFTA is like $8 bucks and a form to fill out. Comes back in about 3 weeks. The service wanted $60 to do my IFTA, I said no thank you, I'll send my $8 dollar check and do it myself. Most things you can do yourself. Only reason I had my IRP done by a service is I did not want to go to Albany, NY and get turned down because I forgot some piece of paper. To me that is the only service worth paying for.
If you call their satellite office they will tell you exactly what you need to bring to get your IRP. I had to fax everything and order mine by phone and wait till the next day to go pick it up. This is in Tx though.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Goldie if you decide to buy a truck, come back here and I can give you some good advice. Right now fuel mileage is king, fuel costs more then everything else combined.

I can find a used truck that should get 7.5 mpg driven at 60 mph. Maybe even better.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Goldie if you decide to buy a truck, come back here and I can give you some good advice. Right now fuel mileage is king, fuel costs more then everything else combined.

I can find a used truck that should get 7.5 mpg driven at 60 mph. Maybe even better.
Thanks sid, DD and Allan
Old 11-25-2007, 02:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
Does local work qualify towards the 2 year experience request or must it be OTR?
Most carriers don't count local work as otr experience. If you get your authority they primarily check to see how long you have had your CDL. Mine also asks for a list of former employers for my drivers.

Quote:

So similar to getting plates for a car you need A) insurance and additionally B) Common intrastate authority if you want to run the 48 states?
You need liability and cargo insurance before authority will be issued. You will also need proof of insurance before most states will sell you base plates. Intrastate authority is for running within some states. However, not all states require intrastate authority. For instance, California requires intrastate authority for load picking up and delivering within California. You don't need intrastate authority if you either pickup or deliver but not both within the state. If you only run within a state which has intrastate authority, you don't need interstate authority. There are some running their authority who only run California or Texas. Because of their size, it is easier to do in those states. If you run interstate or between more than one state, you will need interstate authority which is issued by the Feds.

Quote:

What are registered agents in each state? Do you mean shippers or insurance agents or ?

Registered agent are people who can accept service in your behalf if someone should file a civil action against you. OOIDA used to do this at no charge for members.

Quote:
That $300.00 cost is weekly, monthly, or yearly?
Thanks so much G-man and the rest of you!
Someone else has already answered the $300.00 fee question. You are welcome. We are glad to help.

You can either pay a service to do the filings for you or do it yourself. I did mine myself. And my state doesn't charge for IFTA. I only pay at the end of the quarter, depending on how well I purchase my fuel.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:50 AM
Senior Board Member

GMAN, "You 'da man!"
Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Goldie start doing searches on all this stuff and also cost breakdowns, that's been discussed a lot on here. There's a whole lot of info to read up on. Also OOIDA website has a cost breakdown spreadsheet that you can download. If you don't like that one I have another one I can email you. (courtesy of geoman)

OOIDA, on the left side of the screen click on trucking tools, it's in there. "Cost per mile spreadsheet."
Old 11-25-2007, 12:38 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

If you do the authority process yourself what kind of expenses are these fee's n paperwork ""not"" counting your plates n permits n insurance costs ??? The reason I'm asking is because I keep seeing the places offering to do this but they want from 500 to 1000$ for this and that does'nt count the other stuff ??