User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

StevenD when I devolped my Epilepsy my company at the time did everything they could to keep me working for them but they found out their hands were tied by 3 things. 1 their INSURANCE company 2 the FMCSA REGS and the DOT and 3 the fact my CDL AND MEDICAL CARD WERE BOTH INVALID. They then tried to get me a office postion but none were open in the company at the time. The Regulations are there for a reason we do not have to like them we have to OBEY THEM. I hated the fact I lost my career at the prime of my life but I dealt with it. If 1jcc's companies insurance carrier finds out about his seizures he will be gone faster than you can blink we are not talking about Diabates here. Both my parents have it and it is a totally differnent problem here the issues with High blood sugar are different and if it is high the fact is you do not pass out from it.

Look I know I am coming off heavy handed but I am looking out for his saftey and all of the motoring public. The Feds have not just our saftey but the all 300 million of us in the USA to look out for.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:50 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What Shall we Make of (some) Laws?

Points taken. How do you take this, 1jcc?

Other issues: Law

From your replies, I assume that you have been around a while. Are you saying we should abide by every law on the books, like it or not? Just a conversational topic here, yes, with a biased opinion.

I say you cannot. Especially since the laws vary from state to state. There are laws on the books that are simply ridiculous and not even enforced (easy enough to look them up, just search for ridiculous laws.)
I don't like the implications of situational ethics, but in my opinion, we must apply them in todays world. There are too numerous ones to list but if desired, we can continue this in other posts.

As applies to trucking, you drive a truck that has a cracked windshield and you work for a smaller company. You have reported it, yet it is not repaired the next time you punch in. Do you take the load or sit there, refuse to drive (and get fired.) Same applies for tires or anything else you deem as a safety hazard. Do you know how many drivers this would put out of work? This kind of situational ethic applies to so many situations in trucking. Did you know that for a number of years, Volvo had trucks coming off the assembly line that were already 300 pounds over on the front axle? What about laws then?

What about current HOS? They cannot even decide how to create laws that are safe regarding sleep time. They are currently under review again. You cannot side with the Fed's when they cannot analyze the research and data to create sound law. So the position that "the government knows best" falls on deaf ears.

Many who read this will assume then I endorse an 'anything goes' mindset and this is pure nonsense. Yet there are thousands of bills brought before our 'lawmakers' every year that are not in the interest of safety and benefit of society, although they will trumpet it as such. So what do you do? Comply with these or comprehend them? If you understand that certain laws were pushed through by a congressman who now sits in prison for corruption charges, do you look at the law or consider that it will be changed again?

As applies to 1jcc and medical waivers, judge yourself whether you are a safety hazard, not based upon the opinions of a few who cannot, will not, walk in your shoes.

StevenD

Favorite Quote: Anyone can drive a truck, but not everyone is a Truck Driver.

StevenD
Old 11-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Rookie

OK guys, I see it is pointless in here to try to help. Report me. I have not broken any laws! I reported myself to state and fed DOT like WE ALL ARE SUPOSED TO DO IF IT HAPPENS. I went past the time that LAW required me to be seizure free. The state and Fed DOT did not pull my CDL just my current health card at the time. Everything tested normal at and on all tests. I had a reaction to a new prescription that caused my levels to get out of whack, so that caused a seizure. All doctors cleared me, so did the DOT. I was scared Sh**less to drive even when all said I was safe. That is why I went almost a year longer than required. My insurance co. is fully aware and even gave me a small discount because of my high safety rating and for returning to them. Ironeagle2006, if all of your tests are normal how do they know were the cause of your seizures are to operate? If they see the spot that is causing your seizure than not all tests are normal. Your big doctors are scaring me. I am sorry your seizures are not controllable. I do hope you and all can get a cure or get them controlled. You sound like you are just jealous of those who have controlled seizures. You should not be driving your car since yours are not controlled yet. It sounds like you are the one breaking some laws.
The way that some of you are speaking about people with seizure disorders is why they made the American Disability Act. I understand that safty is #1. That is why we need some changes in laws. The fact is we are driving on the road with drivers that should not be driving. Ones that have false health cards, ones that do not have controlled seizures but do 95% of the family driving.
Some here say we should not change the current law and not let anyone that ever had a seizure drive. You need to read a little more about how your brain works and how seizures happen. Read what the different seizures are. The current DOT regulations puts a blanket on the word seizure. Anything with a brain stands a chance of having a seizure. So if you stand a chance, you should not drive, right?
If you are saying look at the numbers. Then all white male drivers over the age of 45 need to be taken out of CMV's. The numbers do not look good. You stand a higher chance of having a myocardial infarction (heart attack).
Old 11-25-2007, 11:42 AM

1jcc what you are saying is you are STILL taking meds to control them and DRIVING a truck. The current reg is 5 years no meds and no SEIZURES OF ANY KIND WHAT SO EVER be it a Partial COmplex Parital or Full Blown Generalized Tonic Clonic or old Grand Mal Seizure. If you are driving a OTR truck YOU are the one in Voilation of the Regulations. Trust me I know the freaking Regs suck the big one. Mine was caused from a combo of Nutra Sweet and Closed Head Injures from car accidents I was rear ended 3 weeks before my first one and that was the trigger they know.

1jcc here is how dangerous Epilepsy can be in 2001 I was swimming and had a GTC in a swimming pool they got me out and could not get that one stopped I ended up with a Stroke that destroyed 10% of my brain. I had to relearn how to walk talk eat and go to the bathroom AGAIN. I am scheduled to have an INTERANAL VEEG were they put 200-400 wires directly onto my brain soon to see if they can find the focal point of my seizures if they do find it I will be very happy camper. By the way 98% of all EEG's and SDEEG's show normal unless you are having a seizure at the time.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:51 AM

I could have told you this is a dead end place to get any advise or compassion.

This forum is filled with doctors, lawyers, DOT officials, accountants, and you name it. They just happen to drive trucks also ya know.

You sound like a smart guy and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Good luck!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 07:01 PM
Rookie

Ironeagle2006. It is 10 years off anti-seizure medication to be otr if you are epileptic. If it was a single unprovoked seizure, (they don't know why) and NO MEDICATION than it is 5 years. If you are on anti-seizure medication for seizure controlled you still can not drive CMV's. Some states grant intrastate waivers. Intrastate means you can not leave that state in a CMV. Canada is 5 years on medication. I did not say I was on medication for seizure control. The DOT gave me the green light to drive so I hope they know the laws they made.
This was me.
"In those individual cases where a driver had a seizure or an episode of loss of consciousness that resulted from a known medical condition (e.g., drug reaction, high temperature, acute infectious disease, dehydration, or acute metabolic disturbance), certification should be deferred until the driver has fully recovered from that condition, has no existing residual complications, and is not taking antiseizure medication."
If you want to know what happened here Mr. Know how it all works. I worked for my state and Fed Dot. I spent day after day going to different doctors to turn and cough. I was supposed to report the doctors that did not follow Federal regulations. I had to say and do different medical conditions. Some I had to check no on the seizure box but put down I was taking seizure medication and see if they asked if it was for seizure or something else. Some I had to check yes I had seizures. Yes some of the doctors are dumb a**s and granted me a health card. I had to go to the hearing for those doctors that did not do it right. They only received a warning because I did not actually have the conditions I was faking. I had to see if I could find doctors that would take a little cash to pass me if they told me no. Think goodness none did that one on me.
The fact is, the law is going to change like it or not. You should like it. If your procedure is successful you will be one of those who will benefit. I had a seizure, yes a Grand Mal. I did have an aura before it but I did not know what it was. In the hospital I did have partials and they put me on medication wile I was admitted. The seizure was quite scary for me. So I started doing research on truck drivers and seizures. I contacted different organizations about this and received all kinds of info. I have spoken to drivers driving both leally and illegally.
Don't they say you should not swim, take a bath, I know, unsupervised. You are the one that should not be driving. You don't even have auras to warn you. You are not being very smart here if you still do the driving. If you think just because it is not 80,000 lbs it cannot kill someone. Don't base the fact that you are not lucky enough to have your seizures controlled that no one can. Some people have controlled seizures, sorry you can't grasp that.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Rookie

I have been reading in here for a wile now and not posted anything. I felt like I should say something on this one. I am a driver and have been for over thirty years now. I have been diagnosed with epilepsy. I have been seizure free for 15 years this Feb. I take medication twice a day to insure this. When I had my first seizure I was pumping fuel at an old truck stop in GA. I woke up in route to the hospital. They did not take my licence from me because no one reported me. I did at first ponder the thought of just going on like nothing happened. After it happened I put a driver in the truck but it did not turn enough to support both him and myself. I was able to get a waiver just to drive in my state. That did require me to move here. We had to sell the house and move the kids away from friends and family. I suppose I could have just tried to get a different job, but what, this is all I know and have ever done. I don't tell other drivers very often that I have epilepsy because of the stigma. People really do not understand epilepsy. All they know is what they see on TV. People always fear I am going to start flopping around on the floor like a fish out of water. About 70% of people with epilepsy can be treated, were seizures stop with medication. My doctor has suggested trying to take me off medication to see if it has stopped. Well, I can, but I will not be allowed to drive my truck for 10 years. So if I take my pills, I can stay inside my state lines. The DOT fears I could have a seizure if I were to cross the state line. I have been safe and I do everything I can to insure that. I see my Dr. on a regular basses. I take my pills at the same time every day, and don't skip a dose. I stopped drinking beer because it can interfere with the medication. I watch the amount of caffeine and Aspartame I consume. I am aware of drivers that lie to get a health card. I am not saying I approve of this but I understand why they do this. I don't think I enjoy DOT physicals enough to try to catch the bad doctors. The DOT needs to see that not all people with epilepsy are untreatable. It is so very hard now to make it because I can't leave the state. Not trying to sound raciest but the Mexican drivers have moved in this area and taken all the intrastate loads for less than I can haul it for. I had to start parking my truck in a secure lot. I was parking it at one of my customers yards till my fuel started disappearing. Then my batteries left one night. When my drive tires got stolen I had enough. I don't understand because the plant works all night. The plant employees are almost all Mexicans now and I wonder if that is why they did not see or say a thing. I just pray the law is changed were I can stand a chance for other loads out of the state.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I don't think I enjoy DOT physicals enough to try to catch the bad doctors.
No, I did not get any enjoyment from doing the physicals. :roll: When I asked my state DOT what I needed to do to be able to drive after my seizure. They told me the laws then I was told that they needed help finding the doctors that were not in compliance. Well, cash was tight so it was a way of paying the bills.

Yes, many people do not understand epilepsy. Almost 3 million in the US have epilepsy. I have read like 60-70% of people are treated with anti-seizure drugs and it stops the seizures if they take it as prescribed.

It will probably take the DOT a year or two to finish the changes. So hopefully you can hold on that long. This is what they have done so far.

The panel agreed that an individual whose seizure disorder is under control, evidenced by a seizure-free period of time, should be allowed to drive commercial vehicles if certified by a physician annually or biennially. The panel would develop specific recommendations on the period of time and other details and present these in a final report. Dr. Krumholz said he thought the number of crashes directly related to a seizure is very small, lower than many other health-related crashes.

Report on “Seizure Disorders and Commercial Driving.” Literature search was aimed at studies that would develop answers to six key research questions. Highlights of the report’s findings:

Overall risk of crash among individuals with seizure disorder: limited data indicates an increased risk of 1.13 to 2.16 times more likely to experience a motor vehicle crash than those who do not have the disorder. The limited data were provided from several low-quality studies. Additional data suggest a significant reduction in risk if a driver has a reliable aura (warning of seizure) before onset of a seizure.
Likelihood of seizures among those on anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs): no valid studies available, but data suggest that risk of seizure is significantly reduced after eight seizure-free years (to about 2 percent).
Risk of seizure following epilepsy surgery: limited data indicate a steady decline in incidence of seizures. The data suggest that the longer a patient is seizure free, the less likelihood of a future seizure. The risk of seizures was similar to those on AEDs, about 2 percent after eight years.
Risk of additional seizures among drivers who have had only one lifetime seizure: very limited data suggest that, although there is a high rate of additional seizures in the second year, the seizures significantly decline so that by the fifth year, the risk of seizure is about 2 percent.
Seizure risk and AED therapy compliance: of five studies, one showed no significant increase in crash rate regardless of whether a driver was consistent in taking AEDs. The other four studies showed conflicting or inconsistent results. No evidence-based conclusion could be drawn.
The long-term effects of AED therapy: two small studies suggested a negative effect on driving skills, but the data were limited and neither relied on driving simulators to quantify results. No evidence-based conclusion could be drawn.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jcc View Post
No, I did not get any enjoyment from doing the physicals. :roll: When I asked my state DOT what I needed to do to be able to drive after my seizure. They told me the laws then I was told that they needed help finding the doctors that were not in compliance. Well, cash was tight so it was a way of paying the bills.

Yes, many people do not understand epilepsy. Almost 3 million in the US have epilepsy. I have read like 60-70% of people are treated with anti-seizure drugs and it stops the seizures if they take it as prescribed.

It will probably take the DOT a year or two to finish the changes. So hopefully you can hold on that long. This is what they have done so far.

The panel agreed that an individual whose seizure disorder is under control, evidenced by a seizure-free period of time, should be allowed to drive commercial vehicles if certified by a physician annually or biennially. The panel would develop specific recommendations on the period of time and other details and present these in a final report. Dr. Krumholz said he thought the number of crashes directly related to a seizure is very small, lower than many other health-related crashes.

Report on “Seizure Disorders and Commercial Driving.” Literature search was aimed at studies that would develop answers to six key research questions. Highlights of the report’s findings:

Overall risk of crash among individuals with seizure disorder: limited data indicates an increased risk of 1.13 to 2.16 times more likely to experience a motor vehicle crash than those who do not have the disorder. The limited data were provided from several low-quality studies. Additional data suggest a significant reduction in risk if a driver has a reliable aura (warning of seizure) before onset of a seizure.
Likelihood of seizures among those on anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs): no valid studies available, but data suggest that risk of seizure is significantly reduced after eight seizure-free years (to about 2 percent).
Risk of seizure following epilepsy surgery: limited data indicate a steady decline in incidence of seizures. The data suggest that the longer a patient is seizure free, the less likelihood of a future seizure. The risk of seizures was similar to those on AEDs, about 2 percent after eight years.
Risk of additional seizures among drivers who have had only one lifetime seizure: very limited data suggest that, although there is a high rate of additional seizures in the second year, the seizures significantly decline so that by the fifth year, the risk of seizure is about 2 percent.
Seizure risk and AED therapy compliance: of five studies, one showed no significant increase in crash rate regardless of whether a driver was consistent in taking AEDs. The other four studies showed conflicting or inconsistent results. No evidence-based conclusion could be drawn.
The long-term effects of AED therapy: two small studies suggested a negative effect on driving skills, but the data were limited and neither relied on driving simulators to quantify results. No evidence-based conclusion could be drawn.
So what ever came of all that. Were those recommendations considered and denied.

Last edited by yyy5544; 05-15-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:00 AM
Board Regular

I find this thread amazing (in a distressing way), and I still can't believe what I read. You can be rated as disabled by AMA guidelines with CERTAIN INJURIES, but still pass a DOT physical, which is the "minimum" to drive a truck. That doesn't mean you are in perfect condition, but that you should be able to operate a CMV safely. The questions on the physical are what are most important, as to whether you've had this or that serious illness or impairment. Many of those things cannot be detected by the doc in a box. The doctor is more concerned about your sugar level, and your hearing to be honest, after you checked NO to the serious stuff on the questionnaire. A lot of drivers can't touch their toes and such like anyway, but that's far different than some kind of brain disorder. To lie on the questionnaire is outrageous, illegal, and will get you put in prison if you have a wreck. I've run into a lot of older drivers that I believe could be declared disabled by AMA guidelines, but are still gutting it out every day. They meet the minimum DOT requirements. I even saw a one armed driver in Colorado with a hook (didn't know was legal?) picking up a load of beer, and it was interesting watching him shift, but to drive after having a seizure? Really? That's in a whole other category which is on the questionnaire that would be an immediate disqualification. I do believe there probably are more stats that will show heart attack, aneurism, or cell phone call that caused accidents, but that is partly because seizures are already ruled out. To say that there are no stats showing seizures as a problem is not really fair. It's like saying there are no stats for double amputees involved in wrecks, when they've never been allowed to drive in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I feel for anyone that has lost a career they love over something like this, but I'm going with the DOT on this one because I expect everyone that commands a CMV of whatever kind should be held to a higher standard of safety. If that rules me or anyone else out, so be it.