User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Proper Use of Tiedowns
The new regulations require each tiedown to be attached and secured in a manner that prevents it from becoming loose, unfastening, opening or releasing while the vehicle is in transit. All tiedowns and other components of a cargo securement system used to secure loads on a trailer equipped with rub rails must be located inboard of the rub rails whenever practicable. Also, edge protection must be used whenever a tiedown would be subject to abrasion or cutting at the point where it touches an article of cargo. The edge protection must resist abrasion, cutting and crushing.

This is copied from the FMCSA Load Securement site.

The key words for me are "whenever practicable".

If you have a 102" trailer and have a 102" wide load the straps have to go on the outside. If I put the straps on the inside and the buckle end or ratchet end is rubbing the freight or trailer frame I go to the outside.

To me "whenever practicable" means that if you hook under the trailer frame and the hook slightly bends the frame that is not practicable.

If you hook under the frame and the buckle is 90 degrees to the trailer the webbing is not protected as well where is goes through the buckle like it is when the webbing and the buckle are straight.

When I go on the outside I do the DOT wrap so if the strap comes loose it won't come off.

The are many ideas on this topic.

If the straps are on the outside and you get side swiped the freight comes off.

If you use the rub rails and the welds break on the rails the freight comes off.

If you go behind the rub rail and the strap rubs on the frame of the trailer and rubs the strap through the freight comes off.

If you hook the buckle under the trailer in a spot not made for this the freight comes off.

I think it all comes down to what is the safest for each load and use common sense.

Mike
Old 11-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Senior Board Member

In our travels out west here.....I have seen alot of flatbeds with NO rub rails!! :shock:

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 PM

No rub rails would be the same as putting your straps on the out side of the rub rails.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:28 PM

I agree 9200IH, I am just talking about guys with a load that would be inside the rails on a 96 wide trailer.