Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yes, but the safer site is FREE!! :wink:
Old 11-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

GMAN, I've been reading the websites of the UCR non participating states, and it appears, they don't know what to do with the repeal of the single state registration.

If the government repealed the single state registration, the states don't have authority to require it, even though, their state legislature has not approved the UCR. Missouri, in particular, wants their carriers to register in adjoining states until their legislature passes it. They say they will not ticket carriers for now.

What are you doing with the non participating states that are not clear on whether they will ticket or not?? Are you registering with them?

Since the single state registration is federal, and uninforcable (technically), since the FMCSA is changing to the UCR, I guess the non participating states could pass their own registration requirement for carriers not based in their state....?, but I don't see how they can enforce a federal law that has been repealed.

I wish they would stop using the term "registration", which is the same term they use for the IRP plates. Just when you pay for IRP registration for a particular state, they come after you for a single state registration.

It just causes more confusion. Also, I don't understand why they don't have a UCR sticker if they are so concerned about this registration.

I think I have the IRP and single state registration confused.

My IRP registration is one piece of paper, issued in Texas, with multiple states listed on that registration. Does that suppercede the individual state registrations (48 pages), or was the multiple pages the single state registration?

I've not been able to get a straight answer on this from any agency I've talked to. I've not been around long enough to watch this transition unfold.

jonboy
Old 11-12-2007, 12:45 AM

SSRS participation was voluntary. States were not required to join, The feds had nothing to do with it. I have a sneaking suspiscion that the UCR will be a far-reaching program sometime in the future. IRP, IFTA, HVUT, and SSRS will be combined in a one-size-fits-all program.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The Single State Registration program hasn't existed since January of this year. Not all states participated in that program either. As I recall I paid about $256/year per truck for the SSR. The UCR is basically the same program with a slightly different spin. It is prorated based upon the number of units you own or run under your authority. You now pay a fee for each truck and trailer. Previously we paid only for each truck or power unit. For two vehicles, either one truck and one trailer or a single truck and trailer the fee is $39/year. For 3-5 the fee is $116. There have been a number of delays this past year. Eventually the Feds hope to have every state participate in the UCR. According to what I have been told, the delays have been primarily due to states computers not being able to communicate through common software. OK, it sounds like a crock to me, but that is what I was told. My guess is that they were trying to see who could get the biggest piece of the pie. If you are registered in a non-participating state, you will need to register in a state which does participate in the UCR program. States are supposed to be able to check your insurance, etc., using your DOT number as you pass through the scales. Beginning next year Mexico will be able to check your information by the DOT number and will no longer issue the annual paper permits for the truck, according to an official I spoke with about a month ago. Of course, the fee still has to be paid. They check as you roll through their scale. :roll:
Old 11-12-2007, 12:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Ummm why didnt you just use a tax and license company, sure I pay aout 250 more a year to use the one I got but its been worth the headaches.