User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Honey Dippin

I have a chance to buy a honey dipping company (septic truck). In like 6months i have been waiting for this day . Problem is the 40k price tag. The truck is JUNK a 1988 ford F-800 with a 3,000gallon steel Tank. Customer base of about 375-400. Guy did this part time and wants to get out of it it is getting to big for him. Kind of a 1/2 azz friend of my dads. He works at the quarry full time the one my dad hauls out of.

I know him from when i drove honey dippers for almost 3 years. I think i can make some money with it. ITs not like normal trucking. When fuel goes up over night you can add a 5.00 per stop fuel surcharge on the bill if you wanted. Well i got about 10k in the bank and my oldman is more then willing to help me out. He just doesnt want to see me buy a dump truck or tractor.

Just to give you some inside info. We used to pump houses out for 195 a pop could do about 6 a day 10hrs give or take. Thats almost 1200 dollers for a day. Dumping fee was 0.02 cents a gallon so you have to take that out. One day i pulled off 9 houses in about 12hrs. That was a money makin day. All the houses where in about a 10mile radius. Some house you can do in 15mins other ones are 2 1/2hrs depends on where the tanks are at how far in the ground etc etc. So maybe if i play my cards right i can be some what of a O/O soon. But i will need more customers to go full time for one truck to work 8hrs a day you will need about 1500 customers. I would go into more detail about the truck but i dont think anyone on here knows about septic pumps and all that good stuff.

My old boss who sold out to the last company i worked for has a 5year work cont. that will be up in about 2years. Once that is up i know he will help me out big time. Cuz he aint to happy with the company who he sold to with what they are doing. Plus he is real good friends with my dad thats how i got the job there to begin with.

Well i just put that all out there for you all. Me and my dad do alot of talkin all the time about trucks and i just doint think in real truckin for all you have on the line it is not worth it so this may be a good way to go.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 11-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, I would say that is definatly a nitch market.....but YUCK!!

In Oregon they charge 400.00 + for the pump out service!!

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 11-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

My 2 cents. Put out some flyer's with your price for pumping out. Get yourself a web page so customers can book a pump out online. Get yourself setup with E-Commerce so they can also pay by secure credit card online.

Many people want to shop online and getting your tank pumped out is no different.

What a treat for me to be awake at 2am on Monday morning online doing my bills and oh, by the way, let me bring up that guys web page and get my tank pumped out before winter.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member

400+ :shock: how many gallons are they takin. Is it septic or cookin grease. We would take out 4200gallons for 375.00(of septic) the price of 195 is for 1250gals. or less. them 4200gallon loads are alwasy old cesspools.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 11-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
My 2 cents. Put out some flyer's with your price for pumping out. Get yourself a web page so customers can book a pump out online. Get yourself setup with E-Commerce so they can also pay by secure credit card online.

Many people want to shop online and getting your tank pumped out is no different.

What a treat for me to be awake at 2am on Monday morning online doing my bills and oh, by the way, let me bring up that guys web page and get my tank pumped out before winter.
That will be the 1st thing i would do is a webstie then get it put all over the trucks tank. with my name in big azz. letters. Also have to take credit cards. My old company never took CC for some reason. We deal with alot of people with BIG MONEY and for some reasons them yuppies always wanted to use there CC for pump outs.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:51 PM

Yup, credit cards and debit cards which are the same is the way to go. I want to point, click and be done with it. You take care of the rest.

You may have to hire someone to do your webpage correctly. One feature you should have is the ability to let the customer pick the date they want to be pumped out. Your web page could show green on the dates you have open and red for all booked up. The reason I say this is because right now, I don't feel like going out into the back yard to find and mark my tank so I don't want it pumped out till next Thursday.

Don't forget the add on options if there are any.

Crude cleaner
Inspection
Scented septic cleaner
Re-cover top with soil
and so on ( I actually have no idea what I'm talking about)

I would think if your ahead of schedule one day you could see who is ready on the next day and show up then you could get on your laptop and modify your web page and free up a slot for the next day also.

You could also offer frequent pooper points to repeat customers. It could be like little piles of crap that indicate how many points you have. Like shower credits.

Geezus man, I'm on a roll here. (roll, get it)
Old 11-04-2007, 10:55 PM

I think it sounds like a good opportunity, you know the business, don't mind the work, are willing to do what it takes to grow the business, shouldn't have overwelming debt, go for it if its what you want. just remember owning your own business you get to work 1/2 days, 12hrs :lol:
Old 11-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Yank the tank off of the Ford, put it on a Mack, and start pumpin' sh*t!!!!!

Quote:
We deal with alot of people with BIG MONEY and for some reasons them yuppies always wanted to use there CC for pump outs.
The yuppies bought their food with a credit card, why wouldn't they want to use a credit card to get their used food hauled away? :lol:

Anyhow, I would say go for it if you think the numbers will work out in your favor.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
400+ :shock: how many gallons are they takin. Is it septic or cookin grease. We would take out 4200gallons for 375.00(of septic) the price of 195 is for 1250gals. or less. them 4200gallon loads are alwasy old cesspools.
I had a 2-tank system in WA, total of about 1300 gallons. $400 was just for the solids tank. Closer to $485 where I was.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
I had a 2-tank system in WA, total of about 1300 gallons. $400 was just for the solids tank. Closer to $485 where I was.
Them prices are crazy you would never be able to get that where i live. There dumping prices must be sky high. a normal system around here is 1,000gal. tank or 1250gal. tank or a 2 tank system one 1,000 and then a 2nd 500. for a 1500 gal. system never saw a 1300gal one. Depends on bathrooms and bedrooms etc etc. how big of a system to put in.