User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hmmm you know I wanted to ammend a previous ccooment I made...that you guys didnt call me on yet ...that I didnt see how some guys go broke.
Yeah I am making it, but only because I have such a low over-head...if I actually had things, like a house to maintain, family to support ,etc...yeah quess I would go under.
My only expenses tho are the rig, (feul,mait.INs) and 200 a month to my wife overseas(that 200 is a huge amount to her), and feeding myself.
So if at the end of the month I have payed for repairs, Ins, feed myself, and sent the wife 200 Im ready for the next month

Yeah tho.....with these prices and and brokers seeing it as an oportunity to just keep the feul surcharge...seems more sense to lease lately.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Weak dollar policy will hit trucking significantly. Even though exports will rise, imports will fall. Since imports make up a substantially larger portion of freight than exports, the result will be less freight. Combine that with the fact that the price we pay for oil is magnified and it's easy to see we face an uphill battle as long as the dollar is allowed to depreciate.

And that concludes today's Economics lesson :? :lol:
You know, I don't know economics like you but I heard something yesterday that caught my attention. As the dollar falls, it is suppose to affect our imports but since most of our imports is from China which has their currency pegged to ours, then it shouldn't be such a big effect. I'm sure there is more to it, but I found that interesting.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Weak dollar policy will hit trucking significantly. Even though exports will rise, imports will fall. Since imports make up a substantially larger portion of freight than exports, the result will be less freight. Combine that with the fact that the price we pay for oil is magnified and it's easy to see we face an uphill battle as long as the dollar is allowed to depreciate.

And that concludes today's Economics lesson :? :lol:
You know, I don't know economics like you but I heard something yesterday that caught my attention. As the dollar falls, it is suppose to affect our imports but since most of our imports is from China which has their currency pegged to ours, then it shouldn't be such a big effect. I'm sure there is more to it, but I found that interesting.
Hmm when imports come in to the LA docks, especially from China, it actually means way more freght opportunities for me, I pull a lot of loads headng east from here due to largee amounts of imports.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

While it's true that China is our biggest import source and their currency is still more or less pegged to ours, they accounted for just over 15% of our merchandise imports in 2006. That excludes commodities which we import very little of from China, so the percentage of total imports from China is likely a few percentage points lower. In addition, there is increasing pressure on China to unpeg its currency and let it rise to it's true valuation. They are of course reluctant to do so, but if they continue to fail in trying to reign in their growth, it will likely become a more palatable option.

Also, keep in mind that the most inflation prone products are commodities such as fuel and food. Because these are necessities, their increasing cost will leave less discretionary income available to buy cheap Chinese clothes, toys, and electronics. So long as we have inflationary pressure from commodities, the growth rate of Chinese imports is likely to decelerate.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Senior Board Member

You see no_worries, I knew there had to be more to it
Old 11-16-2007, 07:09 AM
Rookie

Not necessarily a weak dollar policy, more a result of years of economic neglect. Overspending, over borrowing, pay you later type attitude we have had for the past 30 years or more has finally caught up with us.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Just picked up some asian freight up in LA again....heading east, I dont see this slow down there your talking about at the docks to be frank. Talked to one worker and he expects an increase until x-mas...then probably will tank. :-p
Yeah to the bible quoters...I agree...tough times ahead for the US, doubt the good old USA will survive them to be honest, our people have grown too soft and useless, we wont be the first super-power to dissapear from the history books.
Hmmm and on new oil sources....Iv said a million times the Bush-Clinton plan for the US...seems to be this Canada/US/Mexico union into one country. The Bush's have worked hard to include Mexico...cuz I think they want all that oil in the gulf, that Mexico has no restriction from the EPA on getting too.... heard it was equivelent to Mid-east amounts?
Old 11-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I dont see this slow down there your talking about at the docks to be frank.
And to be frank, what are your rates? The rates certainly don't reflect an increase in freight volumes. Sure they're up compared to 2 months ago, but when you're comparing to garbage they can't help but look better. Regardless of what the experience is in one particular region or market at a particular point in time, the fact still remains that freight across the country year-over-year is declining and has been doing so for awhile.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
Just picked up some asian freight up in LA again....
Are these women? :lol: Where in the east are you going?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Senior Board Member

being leased to a co that has already established hundreds of contacts, & all you have to do is wait until they have something want.. while getting 80% has worked well for me. also if they dont have something i want, they will look until they come up with something, cause they know that if they dont i dont go & they dont make $$$ off me, so they look where i want to go not where they want to send me. peace of mind & a whole lot less strss is worth a lil less money to me. if ya can get some good runs & or dedicated then own auth may be the way to go but to be a hunter/gatherer for your family & bill collectors??? i think its harder than to just lease. at least until you get used to the industry & what you can/cannot do