User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Canada border crossing

I'm just starting to find out what is required for me to haul loads into and out of Canada. I thought I had all the pointers I needed but went down the drain pretty quick and now realize I don't have a clue.

I already have an SCAC code.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I need.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Canada border crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I'm just starting to find out what is required for me to haul loads into and out of Canada. I thought I had all the pointers I needed but went down the drain pretty quick and now realize I don't have a clue.

Border crossing sucks.

I used to pick up parts for Doppelmeyer Ski Lift in St. Jerome Canada when I was working in ski lift construction out of Claremont...

That was in the early to mid 80's.

In '91 or son I made a run to Montreal with Builders Transport and it STILL sucked.

I'n gonna guess it's even worse now.

(It sucked because of my lack of patience with "red tape' of course)
Old 11-03-2007, 12:33 PM

Thanks Dave. Your information is priceless, I now know everything I need to know about going into Canada....lol....kidding.

I went to Canada on business around 1985. I had a Corvette at the time and the roof off (T-Tops). Coming back into the U.S. the Canadian customs guy is standing there asking if I had any fireworks. I said YES, I bought them right there at the store and got a great deal, look at all the stuff I got. He asked if I had any booze, I said yes, I bought a 1/2 gallon of Tequila for next to nothing. He asked if I bought any cigarettes and I said yes, I bought 2 cartons.

He laughed and said it was all illegal but you didn't do a very good job of hiding it. He waved me on shaking his head.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Canada border crossing

Quote:

Ask your shipper what provinces they are shipping into, contact that province and any that you may cross to reach destination. Also ask who is their Customs Broker and when will the PARS be ready for you to cross. My personal opinion is dont do this. Without proper authorities you can only haul in and cant backhaul out, so you cut your revenue, unless you factor it into the headhaul, also Border Agents arent friendly and would rather detain you and fine you rather than help you do your job. About 3 years ago, I had a driver crossing with a 2 stop load, product for 1 stop cleared Customs the other didnt. The driver entered Canada delivered and returned to US. I got a $1400 ticket and the Customs Agents wouldnt pay and the shipper wouldnt pay. They caused the problem and the driver compounded it. I paid the $1400, sometime later the same driver gets detained due to a $900 ticket for him the day he didnt clear customs. He put the $900 on his AMEX and quit when I wouldnt reimburse him. A $2300 cost due to people not doing their jobs. Good Luck, future International Trucker.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

[QUOTE]I got a $1400 ticket and the Customs Agents wouldnt pay and the shipper wouldnt pay. They caused the problem and the driver compounded it. I paid the $1400, sometime later the same driver gets detained due to a $900 ticket for him the day he didnt clear customs.[/QOUTE]
What in the name of Pete did he do to get that?

Steve,

1. Go to that website I posted ealier and get a Canada Customs Carrier Code.
2. Call your insurance company and add the Canadian provinces to your insurance of they aren't already.
3. Add the Ontario provinces to your cab card.
4. Visit NMFTA.org and get PAPS stickers and PARS stickers.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Isn't your wheelbase an issue?
Old 11-04-2007, 04:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
He laughed and said it was all illegal but you didn't do a very good job of hiding it. He waved me on shaking his head.
That was before September 11th. Now he would drag you out of your vehicle, rip your pants off, jam an improvised explosive device up your ass, detonate it, and then take a shower in the rain of bloody entrails, exalted that he has rid the earth of yet another evil terrorist.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
That was before September 11th. Now he would drag you out of your vehicle, rip your pants off, jam an improvised explosive device up your ass, detonate it, and then take a shower in the rain of bloody entrails, exalted that he has rid the earth of yet another evil terrorist.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
1. Go to that website I posted ealier and get a Canada Customs Carrier Code.
2. Call your insurance company and add the Canadian provinces to your insurance of they aren't already.
3. Add the Ontario provinces to your cab card.
4. Visit NMFTA.org and get PAPS stickers and PARS stickers.
I already have my SCAC code and I just applied via fax for my Canadian Carrier Code. I already have insurance coverage for all of Canada and Alaska. I'll have to wait until I get home to get my cab card updated. I also printed out the forms to buy my PAPS and PARS stickers and will buy them once I get my Canadian code and cab card updated.

I did read through the procedure and it does look painless. Just affix your sticker to the shipping papers and fax it in before showing up at the border and the same going the other way.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may want to get some blank manifests to keep in the truck. Shippers are supposed to give them to you, but I have been the situation where I had to have my own. It is a major fine to get to the border without a filled out manifest. One border crossing officer told me that it was a $10,000 fine, if I remember correctly. :shock: It sure got my attention. One other thing is that beginning in January we are supposed to have a passport to cross the border. Up until that time we can keep a birth certificate with us. They also have a FAST program, or did. I believe they are in the process of changing that to something else. It just enables you to clear the border a little faster due to being pre cleared. I believe it costs about $100. You don't need it to cross the border. I don't think it would even be worth it unless you crossed on a regular basis. When I am in Canada I use a debit or credit card rather than exchanging my money into Canadian dollars. I get a better exchange rate.