User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2007, 04:52 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Merrick- Im going to pm you some Florida contacts for that Reefer.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks LoadIt! I appreciate it.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Thanks LoadIt! I appreciate it.
check your pm, I sent you a few
Old 11-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Rookie

load it
Pepe you're making money, but you dont like the back office work involved with being a motor carrier. Find someone else to do your back office work.

Its good and cheap way.But, just make sure that your papers work done!
if you dont wanna get problem from IRS..
Old 11-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Rookie

You want to Drive truck, be home almost every night and make more money then you can ever Imagine. Take a stroll out to Colorado and get your hands on Oil and Natural Gas boom that is taking place out in beautiful western Colorado. The housing is fair and the wages are unbelievable. Plus all the independents want that work so the local work for us that have paid their trucks off is up for the taking. Its incredible. A great place to work, live and compete. Even company drivers are making up to $100,000 a year
Old 11-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstix22
You want to Drive truck, be home almost every night and make more money then you can ever Imagine. Take a stroll out to Colorado and get your hands on Oil and Natural Gas boom that is taking place out in beautiful western Colorado. The housing is fair and the wages are unbelievable. Plus all the independents want that work so the local work for us that have paid their trucks off is up for the taking. Its incredible. A great place to work, live and compete. Even company drivers are making up to $100,000 a year
You sound like a driver recruiter/real estate salesperson...lol
Old 11-04-2007, 01:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
In what other job are you asked to work 70 hours every week without overtime...?
The big pisser for me is this is the only career in America where you can earn less money for more work.

Hourly: Something happens, you spend more time, you get more hours, get more money.

Salary: Something happens, you spend more time, you get paid the same salary.

Mileage: Something happens, you spend more time, you make less money, maybe a lot less money.

It really is a crock.

I hate hourly jobs, because I'm the kind of guy who wants to get it the hell done and go home, and I hate those slow milk the clock days. I hate mileage jobs, because it's total BS to earn up to substantially less money for having to sit around through no fault of your own at all. I think salaried driving jobs are where it's at. Wish I could find another one (got laid off) that wasn't two states away with a company I don't really want to drive for.

Humbug.

(After I raised holy hell about the 20 hours I spent in the shop pretty much getting the entire fricking trailer rebuilt, they finally took a crowbar to their wallet and produced a whopping $45. $2.25 an hour boys and girls. Whoooooooo.)
Old 11-04-2007, 03:09 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joymax_Trans2
Pepe,

Don't give up. I agree with LOAD_IT, if you don't like the backoffice work and can afford to hire someone to do the paperwork for you, do it. What I have notice is that company drivers jump into being an O/O or Motor Carrier without understanding that it's a business, no matter which option you choose. You are going from employee to business person then they get so frustrated with operating the business. Being an O/O or Motor Carrier is more than just driving the truck.

Pepe, even if you run for Landstar, it is still a business. You still have to get to know their system in order to do well. Hang in there! You have plenty of support here.
True but a lease company would give me more time to concentrtate on fewer things...this is overwhelming to be honest....n not worth the extra hassel....hate to say it, i a nay-sayer too now....less you have everything lined up before with decent clients, not that good an idea.
All in all i can say, if you work hard...you avoid going broke n you dont have to be all that knowledgable....more knowledge helps, but im as stupid as they come n i am not going broke; I dont see exactly how people do.
The fact of the matter tho, this is just not worth it....if i was better at getting good clients yes....or more agressive, n hiring someone would seem to defeat the purpose. Especialy if they didnt know much n probably as small as i am surely coundnt afford someone knowladgable.
Yeah thought about partnering with someone...that ended up bad as he was just a scam artist that ran illegaly loads under my Auth. until i got it stopped.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT

Pepe you're making money, but you dont like the back office work involved with being a motor carrier. Find someone else to do your back office work. Use those shippers, pay a pretty waitress to call on shippers, you tell her what to say. If you add 17% to every broker load that you have hauled and assume thats the least the broker made off of your hard work, you might start calling those shippers and stop giving us the woe is pepe story. I'm riding you because you have taken the jump, arent giving it your ALL, and are discouraging those who want to jump behind you. You are encouraging those nay sayers who will never jump but want to say I told you so. Theres money to be made right NOW while im typing and when you are reading. You have INDEPENDENCE right now and you are going to pisss it away.
I don't understand this calling shipper thing. Excuse my ignorance as I'm really on two weeks on my own after cutting ties with other guy, but what type of commitment can I offer a shipper with one truck and when I'm all over the country? It makes sense to make contacts with them for when I am in a certain area is that basically the gist of this?
yeah that seems to be my problem.....they just blow me off since i only got one truck n trailer.....been close once or twice to getting something going but always just falls thru
Old 11-04-2007, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxman2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
Hmmm just wondering...why ask owner ops forums about just wanting to be a driver....I mean shouldnt the question be...going to own my first truck.....can I make $?...hate to be picky but just seems logical
Hmmm so just my 2c....I think ill take Gmans advice n lease on to Landstar next year...this having my own authority just hasnt worked out for me that well.
Sorry to hear that PEPE but i think that alot of people think automatically that getting there own Autority equals more money but in most cases it does Not and I think its because of lack of experiance. It too bad that there is alot of bad information out there and people willing to empty there saving thinking that they will get rich quick and endup going broke..

Good luck and happy motoring

Yeah certainly not going broke...Ive made a little $ n made back my investment.
I certainly didnt expect to get rich, but after 6 months I cant justify enough extra $ to keep the maitence on the trailer, worry about brokers screwing me or stiffing me, n all the DOT own authority complience hassels

Landstars looking better n better if they really will let me keep my independence.
Pepe you're making money, but you dont like the back office work involved with being a motor carrier. Find someone else to do your back office work. Use those shippers, pay a pretty waitress to call on shippers, you tell her what to say. If you add 17% to every broker load that you have hauled and assume thats the least the broker made off of your hard work, you might start calling those shippers and stop giving us the woe is pepe story. I'm riding you because you have taken the jump, arent giving it your ALL, and are discouraging those who want to jump behind you. You are encouraging those nay sayers who will never jump but want to say I told you so. Theres money to be made right NOW while im typing and when you are reading. You have INDEPENDENCE right now and you are going to pisss it away.
Yeah afraid tho i am a nay sayer now.......well not tottaly, if you can get things lined up ahead of time, good shipper connections, its a good idea....doing it seat of pants like me wasnt that good n idea.....I can keep afoat, but why work so hard for so little when the same $ all in all leasing somewhere good?

Where i really screwed up tho most....is dry van....if i had it to do over again id had gotten a flatbed step deck from day 1., I always knew others made more then us in dryvan, but I didnt dream of this much disparity in pay when talking O/O n own authority, n all the big carriers gobble up all the good dryvan freight at cheap rates.....n put grandparents in the truck cuz almost anyone can do dryvan.