User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If money is the only reason you come into this business, you probably won't last long. While you can earn an above average income, there are sacrifices to be made. Not everyone considers being away from home a sacrifice. Some consider it a privilege to be able to travel the highways and getting paid to do it. Some enjoy the adventure. I still get a thrill to jump in the seat and head into the sunset. I hope that I never lose that feeling. Some dread having to get back into the truck. Not everyone who reads this forum will earn $50,000/year. However, many do. Now for some that may not sound like a lot of money. But to others, that is a fortune. You don't need a 4 year college degree to achieve that level of income. Most other professions where that level of income is possible require either a college degree or apprenticeship involving several years of training. You can start a career in trucking after only a few weeks training. While you are training you will be earning a paycheck. I don't recall anyone paying me to attend college. Trucking is one of the most critical aspects of our economy. Virtually every industry relies on trucking to survive. Think about that for a minute. Everything we wear, eat, drive, hear or see involves trucking. If the trucks stopped running, this economy would stop. Now that should give you some pride in what you do for a living, if you drive a truck.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:54 AM

I agree with you gman and although money was not the only reason I got into this business it was one of them, my decision was based on many things including the lifestyle, the pride of doing a meaningful job, being my own boss, I enjoy driving and working on trucks and others. I heard a great quote on the radio today "money can buy you fun but it can't buy you hapiness" it was used in a different context than jobs but still applies I think.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:22 AM
Senior Board Member

well first of all where do you live? cause no matter where you drive, you have to be able to pay the bills at home. if the cost of living is high, then you'll need to make more money. that's why different drivers will have a different opinion on what is good pay. when you speak to people in person: one driver will tell you he is almost bankrupt from driving, & you can find another one who will tell you he is doing great. both will be telling you the truth. that's the confusing part. lol. i went thru that before i got started. imo... if your going to be gone most of your time away from home & after all your on the road expensis you just have a paycheck... i would just drive local, be home every day, get the feel of driving then decide if the over the road still appeals to you.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
If money is the only reason you come into this business, you probably won't last long
Boy have you got that right.

Quote:
....still get a thrill to jump in the seat and head into the sunset.
I hate driving into the sun.

Quote:
Not everyone who reads this forum will earn $50,000/year.... .You don't need a 4 year college degree to achieve that level of income. Most other professions where that level of income is possible require either a college degree or apprenticeship involving several years of training. You can start a career in trucking after only a few weeks training. While you are training you will be earning a paycheck. I don't recall anyone paying me to attend college..
You can take as little as 40 weeks of classroom training, all paid for by the goverment then enter an apprenticeship program where you get paid to learn. After that, by all means, hit the road jack. You cannot always truck but you cannot always start a career.

But your point is nontheless valid. Trucking is probably one of the better avenues for anyone with not alot of formal education. But that is a negative IMO. I don't kow about you guys, but up here, the influx of immigrants to trucking is mind boggling. I am convinced that the big companies are recruiting in depressed foreign countries, bringing them over here, training them and getting them liscensed. It puts downward pressure on driver pay. You can't do that in a traditional "skilled trade".

Quote:
Trucking is one of the most critical aspects of our economy. Virtually every industry relies on trucking to survive. Think about that for a minute. Everything we wear, eat, drive, hear or see involves trucking. If the trucks stopped running, this economy would stop. Now that should give you some pride in what you do for a living, if you drive a truck.
I've heard it all before. The trucks will never stop running. Not as long as there is a relatively uneducated, relatively uninspired or recently relocated person looking to make realtively good money for not breaking a sweat.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:23 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
You can take as little as 40 weeks of classroom training, all paid for by the goverment
Please post link.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The trucks did stop running back in the 70's or 80's. The Teamsters were strong back then. The country virtually came to a screeching halt. You can't do that without some sort of organization. There are too may people living pay check to pay check taking cheap freight who think that they cannot afford to sit for a day or two.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
The trucks did stop running back in the 70's or 80's. The Teamsters were strong back then. The country virtually came to a screeching halt. You can't do that without some sort of organization. There are too may people living pay check to pay check taking cheap freight who think that they cannot afford to sit for a day or two.
I dont think what happen in the 70s or 80s will happen again.. Right now its every man for himself which is so sad we can do better in trucking if we got together..
Old 11-02-2007, 03:12 AM
Senior Board Member

The only way it's going to happen in this country is if the new canadian drivers all get together and form a union. That would be big trouble for the mid size to large carriers.

Here's some retraining links. These could be valuable for a truck driver.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/tcu/job...velopment.html

http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/e...c_skills.shtml
Old 11-02-2007, 03:40 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxman2001
Quote:
I dont think what happen in the 70s or 80s will happen again.. Right now its every man for himself which is so sad we can do better in trucking if we got together..
It would be interesting to see a comparison of the debt to income ratio of the average trucker in the 70s compared to now. Generally people feel a lot more free to go in debt now. So they don't have the room to do things.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:49 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If there were only about 20-30% of the driver workforce were union and decided to stop working for a week, it would have an impact. I doubt that there are that many who would join a union. If the fuel tanker drivers were union and went on strike that is all that would be needed. Without fuel we all stop, whether we want to or not. One difference today from back then is that there are so many lease operators and owner operators. These people are considered independent business people and not employees. We didn't have so many people in that situation back then. Most people were either company drivers or owner operators. I don't recall any lease operators at that time. I don't remember when the lease programs started. The lease operators are working so close on their money that they cannot afford to take a week off or they will lose their shirts. But like I said, if the fuel tanker drivers stopped for a few days the entire country would stop.