Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Good luck with the clutch. How long will it take to put in and how much?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using credit. I see way too much preaching and Holier than Thou on here and I would venture to say that there aren't too many who have a cash reserve but they sure hand out advise on everything under the sun even though they themselves don't follow it.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine about this forum.

Good luck there Flying Nun.

There isn't anything wrong with using credit, but I don't think anyone should rely totally on credit to start a business. It is very risky. While it isn't mandatory to have a cash reserve to be successful, it is necessary to have the resources to take care of any contingencies. When you rely totally on borrowing you are taking a very high risk. Right now freight is slowing and rates are dropping as fuel is rising. Not a good combination. There are still plenty of freight, but it takes a lot more effort to find the better paying loads. If you have high debt and high monthly payments, you may have a difficult time making it. We will see a major shake out between now and spring. Those who have low debt will stand a much better chance of making it.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Senior Board Member

That's a good point GMAN, right when I got in was a good time, freight was moving very well, and the company was just about to jack up their rates.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Board Icon
Default From authority to hauling desks part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel

and your way of running a business is a joke... you should temper your posts so that the potential O/O's that are reading your fable do not follow in your foibles......
Ya, well LittlePinto, those who can make it, do it, those who can't just crab or go on to better things like setting up cubicles. Maybe you ought to hook up with what's his name, you two would make a great pair. :lol:
Yea.... Successful and profitable !!! Do you know your costs of operation and margins ??? Or do you tag yourself successful by having a few bucks in your pocket and checks waiting in your mailbox. Stevie... you don't get the big picture do you ???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
That "guy who sets up cubicles" made a little under $800 today, running 400 miles and delivering a half a trailer of girl scout cookies. He also had no labor costs associated with it. Over the next 2 days, he'll also net about $1400, while putting on about 50 miles. Does that mean I can claim to make $28 a mile? Maybe I'll say that's my average. :lol:
Old 11-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
...I would venture to say that there aren't too many who have a cash reserve but they sure hand out advise on everything under the sun even though they themselves don't follow it.
Wanna compare balance sheets? :lol:
Old 11-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
That "guy who sets up cubicles" made a little under $800 today, running 400 miles and delivering a half a trailer of girl scout cookies. He also had no labor costs associated with it. Over the next 2 days, he'll also net about $1400, while putting on about 50 miles. Does that mean I can claim to make $28 a mile? Maybe I'll say that's my average.
Money in the Bank! :wink: Sounds like you're doing well with it. WTG

(Thanks for heads up on the girl scout cookies, I'll keep my eye out. I likes me some Thin Mints , and the other ones with coconut......roundabouts maybe?)
Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Board Regular

holly off topic batman!!!!!!!!

lets get this sever case of A.D.D. under control and get back to the topic at hand .
short answers/comments or statements on something that will give future truckers a better chance then you got. So lets put our ego's aside and try and post some advice and to bash anybody or go on and on about one issue.
Please....
Old 11-02-2007, 01:34 AM
Senior Board Member

By the way I just checked the cashback section, I made $5891.54 in "gas" purchases and got a total back of $294.58. Man that's like one free tank of fuel a month.

send me your credit card nuber & expiration date & i'll help you earn more cash back. :lol:
Old 11-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Board Regular

bump
Old 11-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Location: Los Angeles - Austin - Houston - Dallas - San Antonio - Laredo

Sonny Pruitt,

R U the official 'bouncer' (what's the difference between a bumper and a bouncer?) on this website or just this thread? :P

Old 02-23-2008, 03:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
I would suggest getting if possible a credit card (or two or three ) with 0% interest for 12 months. It's hard to have so much in reserve but good credit lines will help.

Just as an example, I just check my Amex account and the bill came out. It was $22,262.68 ($20,000 I used to buy the trailer and then just use the rest every month for the fuel and everything else except restaurant purchases with go on another card for 3% back). This is 0% for 12 months and this amount due for that was $430.

Now to be honest I made a total of $6,800 in payments this month as the limit is only $28,000 and these fuel purchases add up and I want to keep using the card to get the cashback. But if I didn't buy a new trailer I would have had plenty of room to pay for fuel and just pay the minimum while I wait for the checks to come in if I so chose to.

Of course it must be noted that this is a very risky thing and this strategy can put you in the hole real quick especially if you aren't the type to take the money you receive and pay bills first.

By the way I just checked the cashback section, I made $5891.54 in "gas" purchases and got a total back of $294.58. Man that's like one free tank of fuel a month.
Merrick, I found this old post and decided to revive it - I have never heard of such a high limit on a credit card! How did you manage to get it? The highest I was ever offered is ... $5,000 and my credit is pretty good

Watch my YouTube videos