User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default My Own Authority running a lowboy trailer ???

Some of you OO that have your own authority I need a little info ??? I am getting ready to do the authority with OOIDA starting the first of the year. I understand how it all works and how to get loads n all of that but what I need to know is their loads out their on the boards for a lowboy or a detach ?? I have a 3 axle 50 ton Detach ( lowboy ) Trail-King . I know there are Flat-bed n Refer loads every-where but what about Heavy Haul n Oversize Stuff ?? Would I be better off to just lease on to a outfit that does Heavy Wide N Tall ???? I've been running my own Flat since 79 but I sold it n bought this Detach . Appreciate some input !!!
Old 10-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

There are loads on the boards for heavy haul and lowboys. There are also some of the larger brokers who have these type of loads posted on their own load boards. Some of the better paying loads won't be posted. It usually takes some time to build your reputation with some of the better paying brokers and shippers. I am curious as to why you don't just get your authority yourself rather than paying OOIDA to do it for you.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:09 AM
Board Regular

If that ca in his screen name means CA he could possibly use help with the state side.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:48 AM
Senior Board Member

wish I had a 53' tandem RGN. I could make some money widdat.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person
If that ca in his screen name means CA he could possibly use help with the state side.
Hello Senior Trucker

No it does'nt mean CA . Thats a Arabic name that means WHITE LION in english. I have been in Baghdad, Iraq going on my 4th year over here now. The locals started calling me that because of my apearance. I have my own equipment in the States and that is where most of my effort and money has been going. My Equipment has been sitting since I came over here waiting for me to return. This engine build that I'm doing just after christmas in Atlanta will be the last thing before I quit n come home. I'LL be quiting this in earl April so I am trying to get things in line for next year. I understand that I can do my own authority but it would be a lot harder to do on my own from over here so thats why I'm probably going to pay OOIDA to do it. I have been talking with several outfits here recently and Bennit Trans out of Georgia is looking for people with there own multi axle equip that can or do have Gov clearance to do Oversize . They say it's BIG money ??? But I have allways been leased to other outfits and don't like haveing to worry about their needless rules n such ?? Haveing to explain things to them that are non of their bussiness ??? So since I have the time n money I'd like to try to be independent for once ??? I know it seems like a lot of stupid questions (especially for a 28 yr cross country OO ) but I'm just trying to understand how things are back there these days and what is the best thing to do ??

Thanks for all of your input !!!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Government loads are up and down, as are the rates. Unfortunately, some brokers double or triple broker those loads and drive the price down. I have found that commercial loads usually pay more than military unless they are gearing up for an action. If you are going to run your own authority and work mostly with government loads, I would suggest dealing direct with the military. You may have to jump through some hoops, but it can be worth it with the increase in rates. If you plan on doing this direct, you will need to get a SCAC code, once you get your authority. It would likely help you hauling for the military with your military background if you are hauling sensitive cargo. Not all military loads require a security clearance.