User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Actually, "short runs", doesn't necessarily mean, "short miles".
My average run, is about 500-550 miles, and i do average about 10-11,000 miles a month.
But it sure means more work, and so is revenue per mile!
Well, some people looking for "easier", some looking for "better"! :P
Business before pleasure!
And if i want some "fun", or need to improve cash flow, after my long vacations, i run some "miles", i call it "nostalgic trips"!

Now about the cheap freight!(I'm talking dry box, it was a long time, since I've pulled anything else)
I've said that many times, "Cheap", is not really just a straight number definition!
And that $1.30 a mile load, could be a very good deal, let's say from NJ, to OH!
Another "opinion";-you could, and should, ocasionaly DH from the "bad area".
But if it's your regular "rounds", you better consider the whole "round", or change the patterns! 8)
Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Board Regular

Now that I've read through all of this... 7 pages :shock:

There is a lot of sound advice, a lot of good questions and a lot of disbelief and defensiveness... sounds like the usual mix.

I hope the people that don't believe the #'s (that's why I rarely post any), will at least think about and see if they can't get more. ALWAYS try to get more, everything else goes up, our revenue should too.

Rather than specifics, I have a SD and have not pulled a load for less than $1.50 pm to the truck in a couple of YEARS, thinking back, the ones that I remember weren't even whole loads, they were head loads that I couldn't find a partial to go with. I have DH out of some areas, but not often; my current DH for the year is 8%. I do NOT haul cheap (my definition), all of the brokers that I have ever worked with know that and everyone that I've ever been leased to knows that, so I don't even have to say "NO" very often.

One other thing, for those of you that barely pay yourselves. You should never leave RISK out of any decision. In being in business you are assuming more risk than a company driver and have more responsibilities, you SHOULD make more than the avg co driver and you should have a benefit pkg and you SHOULD have PROFIT on top of that; anything less is a hobby, NOT a business.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:23 AM
Senior Board Member

HAAAAAA-----LEEEEEEE-------LUUUUUUUU-------YAAAAAAAAAA!
I THINK WE HAVE A CONSENSUS?