User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Doesn't matter GMAN. A broker must make information pertaining to a load including, contracted rate from shipper, linehaul rate, accessorial pay, etc., etc., available to all parties involved.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:33 PM

Title 49 Chapter 3 Sec. 371.3 of the FMCSA Regulations details the recordkeeping requirements for freight brokers.

To summarize, brokers are required to maintain a record of each transaction for three years, and must make each transaction available to all parties involved upon demand.

In addition, brokers are prohibited from co-mingling funds. They must keep a separate accounting of all money that is due to carriers.

Realisticily, You will probably be branded as a "troublemaker" and put on their no-load list if you attempt to do this.

IMO- A better way to to this would be a class action lawsuit filed by a large number of carriers, targeting one suspicious broker.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
:shock: :shock: I believe you are confusing someone who is leased to a carrier and paid percentage with someone who runs their authority. As far as I know, if you run your authority you are not legally entitled to see a copy of the rate sheet from the shipper to the broker. You both are in business and come to an agreement on a rate. While I think it would be a good idea to share that information, I don't know of any law which compels a broker to disclose that information to a carrier. If you are leased to a carrier, that is another matter. :shock: :shock:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch_This
Title 49 Chapter 3 Sec. 371.3 of the FMCSA Regulations details the recordkeeping requirements for freight brokers.

To summarize, brokers are required to maintain a record of each transaction for three years, and must make each transaction available to all parties involved upon demand.

In addition, brokers are prohibited from co-mingling funds. They must keep a separate accounting of all money that is due to carriers.
I was gonna go find it...but Dispatch already did.

With all the awesome advise and information you always willing give, I was shocked that you didn't know that one G!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member

I STUMPED THE SCWAB!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member

if you watch espn...you got that last comment :lol:
Old 09-04-2007, 02:38 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

This was discussed at length on another forum a while back. I don't recall any one taking the time to actually research the issue. The only way you would be privy to the rate information is after you take the load. Until that time, you would not be a party to the contract.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
The only way you would be privy to the rate information is after you take the load. Until that time, you would not be a party to the contract.
This is true also. You have 3 years to look at loads you haul. You are required to travel to the Main Office of the Broker. I believe it is a 90 day wait before being able to request seeing info any load you haul..not sure...not gonna research it. Most Broker's don't worry about getting a Carrier audit, because they are usually so far from most of the Carrier's that work for them.

For the most part, we always kept 2 list's. The "Haul for Brokers", whom were honest, paid a decent rate to the truck, and paid their bill's on time.
And the "No Haul Brokers". Those were the one's whom gave out short information, triple brokered freight, and took 6 month's to pay. Longest we let a broker sit on our money was 45 days. At day 46, we were on the phone, asking were the money was.

Some of the Best Broker's we hauled for.

LandStar, Mercer Transportation, Jones Motor. Big, well paying, and fast paying.

Bestways Brokerage, Spanaway Wa. FreightTec Brokerage, Ogden UT. Allway's Brokerage, Sacramento CA. Santiam Brokerage, Portland OR. New Market Transportation, Newark NJ. All had decent rates to the truck, all paid within 22 day's with out charging quick pay fee's.

Just a few of the good one's I remember off the top of my head. If I pull out the old computer and start it up, I could come up with both list's.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatch_This

Realisticily, You will probably be branded as a "troublemaker" and put on their no-load list if you attempt to do this.

Hmmm just one more example where this whole ball-game, of us, the carrier, is being tottaly outmatched by the broker.....Hmmmm perhaps I should start a thread, who has more of an arsenal, the broker or carrier? ........
Im new at this I know, but I cant really help but feel we are overmatched by all the crude these brokers can pull on us?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:20 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Just a few of the good one's I remember off the top of my head.
Orangetxguy, What year is this good list from?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:07 AM
Senior Board Member

I have to ask-- What does it matter what the broker got paid? If you dont like the rate, dont haul it or haul it and move on.

I have a lane from Florida to Oregon that I broker and make $700-$900 per load. I have a lane from Michigan to Utah that I broker and sometimes make over $1000. I dont broker a load from coast to coast unless I make a minimum $350. You might not like these numbers, but I know what I need to keep the lights on, phone bill paid, ink in the fax, load boards paid etc. I do ask the carrier what he needs to move the load,
and I do negotiate.

I also run trucks. I was a broker first, but I know that brokers need carriers and carriers need brokers. I broker to big and small carriers, both have their pros and cons, but what is important is that the load gets picked up and delivered safely, all paperwork is turned in and the check is sent out right away. I have never had a carrier ask to see what I made, but I have had shippers that wrote the rate on the BOL and the carriers O/O was not happy. That is between that carrier and his O/O.