User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fuel Mileage

I'm looking at getting a Century with either a C-15 or a 430 Detriot. Prolly a 13 sp (I hope). I'm going to be hauling cars, and wondering what kind of mileage I would get if I was only pulling between 20,000lbs and 30,000lbs. I'm looking to first start with a boyden??? 4 car trailer which doubles as a flatbed (kinda).

Just looking for some o/o's out there or even company drivers that pay attention to their fuel....nm........O/O's are who I need, LOL...I know the company guys don't give a crap! Anyways.....I have put in my estimates 5mpg and wondering if it's possible to get upwards of 7-9 with only pulling a 1/2 load in weight!??

Thanks in advance for any help!

Pork Chop
Old 08-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't know what the Boydston trailer weighs, but even if it is a light load, you will probably not get 7-9 mpg because of the wind drag. It may not seem like it, but a car hauler catches a lot of wind. I pulled a 10 car hauler and could not get more than 5 mpg loaded or empty, with a Peterbilt. The 13 speed should help a little, as will the lighter loads. I have a friend who pulls 3-4 cars with a dually. He gets about 10 mpg loaded with a 6 speed and small Cummins.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

I have a C15 with a 13 speed and 3.36's rears and I avg. 6mpg,that's pulling max tanker loads about 75% of the time and empty the other.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

a car hauler is about as aerodynamically dirty as you can get, i`d hope for 5 and be happy with it.

take a water hose and spray it on a vertical flat surface, then take it and spray it on the car haulers beams and hydraulic lines and see where the water goes.