User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

When I leased to a percentage carrier my deadhead was slightly less than 10%. Rounded up it was 10%. I averaged $1.66 with one truck and $1.81 on the other for ALL miles, including deadhead. I am sure not everyone did as well. Some probably did better. In any case, it was much better than leasing to a carrier who paid $0.80-0.90/mile, even for all miles. I paid my own base plates and permits, fuel taxes, etc., and still did very well when I leased to a carrier on percentage. I am doing much better running my own authority. Most mileage carriers are forced dispatch. The majority of percentage carriers are not forced dispatch. That means that you decide where you want to run and at what rate. Running for a percentage carrier is closer to actually running your authority. The main differences are keeping track of your fuel taxes and other filings and insurance. I can tell you from personal experience that even with the higher cost of insurance I still make more money than if I leased to a carrier. I understand that is not always the case. Some people are better managers and more efficient at running a business than others. I believe we all need to find our own comfort level. The idea is to earn the best living you can. Some can make more with their own authority, other will do better leasing to a carrier. I don't think all carriers are bad. There are good and bad ones. It is often a matter of finding one that is a good fit for you. Running your authority isn't that difficult, but it can be time consuming, dealing with all the government regulations, finding loads and all the other business aspects There are some people who would rather drive and let someone else deal with the paperwork. Others don't mind dealing with all the little details.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about becoming an owner operator or getting their authority is do a lot of research and be honest with yourself about what you want to do and with what you are comfortable. Before making a decision, get all the information you can in order to make a good decision. What works for me may not be what you need or truly want. Experience is the best teacher. If you want to become an owner operator or get your own authority, drive for a company first. You should see whether you enjoy this business before you start spending money. In this business, it isn't the big things which will kill you. It is the little things. You must take care of the details.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Board Regular

I picked 1.10 out of the air
Maybe the dry is different but refridgerated takes hours to deliver and even more hours to pick up. Many times my hours run out at the customer. Brokers who don't know you are leary of booking too far in advance btw because of the delay time involved . Make any call to a broker on getloaded or ITS and you will find their appt time has no 10 hour break time. Especially in the 0-600 mile range
Its all load and go. So you start out with a load and go and you deliver.
You cant load and go again all week. So you lose a day here and there.
So the 1.50 -2.00 per mile I may make may actually be less at the end of the year than someone who grinds out x cpm as a leased operator working every day
Old 08-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The extra pick up and deliver times are just other reasons to get good rates. You can't afford to haul cheap freight and sit for hours on end. When you run your own authority, you can put something in about detention time if you choose. You can also include lumpers, etc., It is your business. It is up to you to determine how you are going to run it. There is a steel plant in Portage, IN that kept me waiting for 6 hours for no good reason other than they didn't want to work. Second shift came in and we all got loaded. I was supposed to have been paid detention time. That was several years ago. I never received my detention pay and have not hauled anything for this plant since. It is my business. I decide for whom I will haul freight and at what rate. I pull flats and step deck freight. I charge for tarping a load. It is an extra service. If a shipper or broker doesn't want to pay the tarp fee I don't take the load. Some people regularly pay for lumpers out of their pocket. If a lumper is needed, either the broker or shipper pays it in addition to the haul rate. If not, I don't haul the load. It has never made sense to me for a receiver to charge to unload his own freight. You don't have to allow shippers and/or receivers to take advantage of you. It is your business. You can choose to leave if they don't have you loaded or unloaded within a certain time unless they are willing to pay for your time to sit.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt