User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 02:11 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Importing a Canadian used truck to the US

I was wondering about the feasability of buying a used truck in Canada as a Canadian citizen, and operating it under the following scenarios :

a) O/O with a US-based carrier and hauling within the US ( with a valid green card )

b) O/O with a US-based carrier and hauling within Canada and the US

c) O/O with a Canadian-based carrier and hauling cross-border, and within the US ( with a valid green card )

Which of these options is most viable, both financially and operationally ? Also, what are the hoops to jump through for buying a used truck in Canada and bringing it to the US ? Would local truck and parts dealers honour any existing warranties ? Would it be simply a better idea to buy a truck in the US if one intends to live there primarily ?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Board Regular

If you have a green card you could do any of the three the way I understand it.As long as the co. has intra-state/interprovincial authorities you should be fine. I would think you'd be better off working for an American co. with the truck and trailer plated in the states. I sold my old truck to a small dealer in Dearborn Mi and he told told me it would cost him around 600$ to import my truck into the states. Probably half the used trucks he bought at the time were canadian. US garages honor warranties for Can truckers if you break down in the states so they should if you live their half the year too.