User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any $$$ in Expediting ?

I'm thinking about setting up my own website, getting an expeditor truck (like a Pete with a 24' or longer box and a sleeper) and going into the hazmat transportation business.

I know part of the answer to my question.

The answer is, in part, "It depends." ;-)

It's going to depend on how hard I'm willing to work, how well I run my business, how well I manage my time and so forth.

I can go into business without being undercapitalized. I have enough income from other sources so I don't have to worry about the income I make from trucking. So I feel like I can do it right, can pick and choose my loads, can make sure I'm getting paid for what I do, and when I'm not getting hazmat loads to transport, heck, I can transport other freight.

Just curious as to any suggestions you guys might have. For instance, do I need a three-axle truck to do this or will a two axle truck work okay? What about picking up loads from most conventional (i.e., non hazmat) freight shippers -- will they require a three-axle truck for most of their expedited loads or will I be able to get by with a two axle truck?

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

TIA.

-- c t
Old 07-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Board Regular

You might want to check out:

www.expeditersonline.com

http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi-...um/dcboard.cgi
Old 07-20-2007, 01:42 AM

I will say that the bigger the vehicle the better off you are. You can put what fits in a pickup in a T/T but cant put what fits in a T/T in a P/U. Also the more equipment you have the more valuable you are to others.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:05 AM
Senior Board Member

What kind of experience do you have? I believe the liability coverage requirement for hazmat is $5,000,000. Insurers don't just hand policies like that out to everybody that can pay the premium. Also, the hazmat I've seen on loadboards doesn't really pay much of a premium over general freight. If you get a few accounts of your own that might be a different story. But if you're just planning on working brokered freight, it's not worth the extra hassle and expense.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There aren't many insurance companies who write hazmat insurance. Those who do charge a hefty premium, depending on the type of hazmat material you plan on hauling. You will also need to get certification from the Feds to haul hazmat in addition to your authority. There are more hoops to jump through when you haul hazmat. With rates for most hazmat being so low, I don't think it is worth the extra expense or paperwork. Before going too far with your idea, you may want to check around with some insurance companies to see if you can even get hazmat insurance. I would also want to line up some shippers to get tentative commitments from them prior to going to that much expense. As far as the truck is concerned, if I were to go with a box truck I would probably go with a 3 axle with a lift on one of them. I would also look at getting a refrigeration unit on it. Your best bet would be to find shippers and see what their needs and/or requirements might be before you buy anything. I don't know what type of driving experience you have, but you may want to consider leasing to a expedited carrier who does hazmat to see if you even like it. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Board Regular

carolina trucker I have looked into doing this as well as hot shot loads before I bought my truck and started hauling logs, and the one thing that I remember is that all experienced o/o said to get the loads and contacts lined up prior to making a purchase.

I also saw on the forums alot of newbie o/o begging for people to help them went something like this:

Please help, have new or used equipment and need job, which is playing very very dangerous because need to get the cart loaded before you buy the horse, otherwise you could have the horse and nothing to put in the cart, but still be paying for the horse. (Country way of explaining it)

Might want to look at hotshothauling.com, and hotshotconnect.com

Not to say you should do this instead of Straight Trucks, but they have alot of good advice on the subject of starting up a expedite and or hot shot business.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Rookie

<< You will also need to get certification from the Feds to haul hazmat in addition to your authority. >>

I thought it was the case that you only need certification from the Feds if you're going to run a TSDF (transportation, storage, disposal) facility, which I'm not going to do.

If all I'm going to do is just haul hazmat loads from point A to point B, all I need is a hazmat endorsement on my CDL and the appropriate manifest along with the other paperwork, like a MSDS (material safety data sheet), I **THINK**.

That and the appropriate insurance and so forth.

I had heard that if you're planning on hauling explosives that you need to get permits from the Bureau of ATF, though that probably depends on the kinds of explosives you're planning on hauling. If all you're planning on doing is hauling fireworks from South Carolina to North Carolina, I'm not sure you'd need anything beyond a hazmat endorsement and the other regular documentation you'd keep in the cab of the truck.

I don't think you need special permits from the Feds to carry those kinds of loads, do you?

Thanks for all the ideas, guys.

Best,

-- c t
Old 07-25-2007, 05:49 AM
Rookie

Insurance and the proper endorsements are just the start. The HASMAT endorsment has to be on your operating authority. Most states require either annual or trip permits depending on the material being moved within their borders. And like the registered agent filing made with your authority, you will have to make the sme filing but with clean up agents.

I had hazmat authority for my first year, my first customer was a battery disposal company. Now I haul produce and steel. Hazmat was more of a headache than the $$$ was worth.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:02 PM
Board Regular

carolina trucker,

This site is maintained by an expediter with links to business plans,blogs and all kinds of useful information.

http://successfulexpediters.com/