User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hey, Bandit's Cousin!

Thank your company for me for the hell that they are putting the entire HHG industry through. :wink:

I hope you know what I'm talking about. If you don't, they are worse than I thought.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah WTF ? The whole deal is ridiculous !!!!........ Actually I have no clue what your talking about. :?: So what is the deal ?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK THE TRUCKER
Yeah WTF ? The whole deal is ridiculous !!!!........ Actually I have no clue what your talking about. :?: So what is the deal ?
Copied right from the memo I received today (my comments are in red):

Quote:
Earlier this year the Household Goods Carriers Bureau (HGCB) approved the adoption of Tariff 600 and scheduled it to replace Tariff 400-N on January 2, 2008. A tarriff that was created and pushed by UnitedThe new tariff is the industry’s response to customer requests for further simplification. The first step in customer-focused simplification in Tariff 400-N was well received, but it still left too many items to be reviewed and approved and too many unpleasant surprises at destination. The reduction of the number of tariff charges to be approved, verified and audited will save time and hassle for service providers, carriers and customers. Everyone likes a win, win, win. Especially the carriers on this one
The following charges will be rolled into Item 135, Origin and Destination Charge: Extra Stops, Light and Bulky Articles (except weight additives) and Pickup or Delivery at Third Party or Self Storage Warehouse. The Origin and Destination Service Charge and Insurance Surcharge will be rolled into transportation revenue. What this means is that accessorial pay, which used to be something that the driver got 100% of, will be lumped in with the transportation charge, which the driver gets about 52% of, depending upon their lease agreement In an effort to bring discounts to a much more reasonable level, all transportation-related rates will be reduced by 50% and all SIT-related rates will be reduced by 25%. Finally, the minimum weight will be increased from 1,000 to 1,500 pounds.
The rates developed from the aggregation will be revenue neutral, i.e., neither a rate increase nor decrease. Yeah - revenue neutral for the customer, but not for the driver. The carrier wins by screwing the driver It is impossible to have every shipment be revenue neutral as it depends of the level and location of services, but in total the charges under the current and future pricing tools should be the same.but not the compensation
United Van Lines has a history of trying to take what rightfully belongs to the I/C - their accessorial pay. They did it last year when they introduced the fuel surcharge caps, and they continue to do it by trying to get accessorial charges lumped in with the transportation charges, so they can demand a cut of it. They are a pathetic carrier, and a scourge on the HHG industry.

I won't even go into the other changes that are afoot. They claim it isn't deregulation, but it reeks of it.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Senior Board Member

I wouldn't call UVL pathetic, as there are much worse carriers to pull for. Not necessarily pointing fingers, or naming names, but they all have their strong/weak points. I NEVER hear positives about Graebel, but then there are people that also seem to do alright with them (you). I pull for the highest revenue generating agent in the Atlas Van Lines system, (as in the teens of millions a year)...downside, is the agent I pull for is a big self-hauler, and they are a full pack and load hauler as well. Just depends on what/who's bullshit you can put up with. I'm more than happy here. So, you lose what...$1k a trip? If that? The I/C's in the HHG industry have been taking pay hits annually from the introduction of this, and the loss of that..part of the business, I guess...as long as I'm not pulling for England, I'm happy

Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal 95 KW
So, you lose what...$1k a trip? If that?
Quite a lot more than that. If I do 30 trips a year, that is a $30,000 pay cut. All thanks to United. And I don't even pull for them. :roll:

Quote:
The I/C's in the HHG industry have been taking pay hits annually from the introduction of this, and the loss of that..part of the business, I guess...
It didn't used to be. But, thanks in large part to the efforts of United Van Lines, it is becoming the norm. This is going to affect you as well.

Like I said - I'm not even gonna go into the other part of it.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Senior Board Member

I never stated that it wouldn't affect me. You cannot place the blame 100% on UVL, for the new Tariff being placed into action. What I was talking about, was the big hype when Tariff 400N was brought into play. I couldn't find the article I was lookng for, but here's an excerpt from HouseholdDrivers.com, with the breakdown of the paycut that was taken when this tariff was set in motion.

Quote:
Skip said:
Skip remembers a time when an 18% fuel surcharge was charged to assist with the high cost of fuel. In 1983, the moving companies of America chose to roll that 18% fuel surcharge–formerly delegated to only the transportation unit–into the tariff as a transportation rate increase. At that point, they then received half of the fuel surcharge. Clever, huh?
Now to modern times! This tariff 400N was touted to drivers as having long carries and stair carries built into the Item 135 charges. In addition, a 3.8% increase in transportation charges was included to help compensate drivers for the long carries and stair carries removed from the new tariff. Excuse me!! The transportation companies receive half of this 3.8% increase. A lower increase from previous years (an increase that is generally negated by an increase in sales discounts). It seems to me that all they're doing is sliding money from drivers' accessorial charges into the transportation charge, thereby decreasing the drivers' compensation while increasing the companies' bottom line.
Well... The truth be known, a 10,000 pound shipment from South Beach, FL to San Diego, CA with many long carries and an elevator at origin, paid the truck over $1,000.00 under the old tariff for those two services alone (these figures are from a shipment I hauled last year). This particular shipment, I could not get into the complex before 9:00 a.m. and had to be out by 4:00 p.m. I had to hire six men in order to meet their timetable (four more men than is needed for a normal 10,000 pound shipment). It cost over $800.00 in labor to load.
Well... Rating the same shipment under tariff 400N, if I take the Item 170 charges plus an origin and destination washer service from the combined new tariff Item 135 charges, only $73.00 goes to the truck. Let's do the math! $1,000.00 - $73.00 = $927.00 this means I received a $927.00 pay cut for the same shipment! Pay attention, $927.00.
• Question: How many comparably sized shipments with no long carries or stairs do I need to load and deliver before I break even?
• Answer: 12
• Question: How many pounds do I have to load and deliver before I break even?
• Answer: 240,000
• Question: At 112,000 pounds loaded and delivered per month average for the past year, how many months will it take me to break even for that one shipment?
• Answer: Just over two months
Remember, we're breaking even for only one 10,000-pound shipment with excessive long and/or stair carries.
Last year I encountered 17 shipments with more than 500 feet of carry (a straight truck couldn't have gotten closer) out of the 78 total shipments I hauled–that's almost 22% of total shipments hauled. In order to break even, I would have had to haul 204 shipments with no long carries or stair carries in addition to the 17 labor-intensive shipments. I for one stand to lose greatly with this new tariff.
What we really need is an exemption (go back to the 400M tariff way of charging for apartments, condominiums, high rises, and mini-storage warehouses) in situations where inside long carries and stair carries can be excessive. Skip's number one rule of staying in business: if it costs me more to do a job, I have to be able to charge more for the job–averages be damned. Bottom line is, we are in a position where there is no provision for jobs that are extremely labor-intensive when we use Tariff 400N.
Look at the shipments you've hauled in the past and do the math yourselves. Will you make money or lose money? It seems to me that the Household Goods Tariff Bureau should have asked a few drivers to contribute their knowledge and experience when developing the Tariff 400N.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Well, as long as you guys, are willing to haul, for that pay, they have no reason, to pay you more!
Market is very weak, and everybody is affected! :sad:

And since your expenses still stay the same, or more, that 30 grand, comes from your bottom line. Brace yourself guys, we have a real rough times ahead!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:14 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal 95 KW
I never stated that it wouldn't affect me. And, if I recall, it was the American Movers Association that came up with the whole deal,
Household Goods Carriers Bureau, led by United. If it weren't for them, this wouldn't have happened.

Quote:
and the carriers as a whole pushed it through. Not just United.
If I remember correctly (which I do), Graebel stood their ground and refused to implement the FSC cap at the beginning of the busiest time of the year. Now, they are trying to figure out a way around this stupid Tariff 600. They will likely end up completely rewriting their I/C contract so that they can split apart all the things that United is lumping together with this new tariff. Graebel has stated (yet again) that they will not do these underhanded things to their I/C's, just because United wants to do it to theirs.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Pay cut or not, it's still better than yanking a reefer, flat, or dryvan around!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

It's all a big screwy ordeal, I believe somebody once told me (a Bekins Driver) that Bekins was one of the only carriers out there, not operating under 400n, b/c the owner didn't belive in screwing his I/C's out of money that is rightfully theirs. Don't know if there is any truth to that statement, or not but it sure sounds nice lol.