User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Regular maintenance

What kind of regular / periodic maintenance should be performed on a truck to try and limit downtime to the extent possible, and to try and increase up-time / productivity as much as possible ? Let's assume that it's a 4-5 year old truck.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Every time I'm under the hood I'm checking all fluid levels. Oil, coolant, clutch fluid, power steering fluid.

Grease at least once a month, check brake chambers and brake throw every time your under the truck. I also regularly check the ride height. I make sure all tires are at 105 psi at least once a month. Rarely do they drop more then a couple psi. During the monthly inspection I'll also check all the battery/starter connections make sure they're tight and clean. I'll also lubricate all the hinges/shocks and clevis pins. It really pays off to lube the pins. Trust me on that one.

Every year I get an alignment, and a valve set.

I do oil changes every 30,000 miles. Every oil change I check the tranny/diff fluid level. I also swap the 2 magnetic plugs on the diffs to see if there's any metal collecting on the bottom one.

Every 2 years do the air dryer, power steering fluid/filter, and change the coolant and coolant filter. I'm going to start changing the hydraulic clutch fluid every 2 years as well. Diff oils get changed about once every 2 years. Tranny oil I believe is good to 500,000 miles as long as you use an approved oil.

The clutch gets adjusted about once every 3 months. Having a clutch brake is nice!

Whenever I take it in for the 6 month inspection, I tell them to have a good look at the 5th wheel and adjust if necessary.

Every winter I do the usual winter stuff, make sure my tires are in good shape and test the coolant.

That's all I can remember for now!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:08 AM
Senior Board Member

If it has older batteries I'd consider some high quality units such as the odyssey or optimas. The odysseys have more power, but are more pricey. These will outlast regular batteries several times over.

Also, with better batteries, your starter will last longer.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Board Member

If you do a good circle check you will catch most problems before they strand you on the road.

The only things that have stranded us are:
-An alternator (once, we carry spares now)
-A Turbo
-Blown Tires (failure to check pressure)
Old 06-17-2007, 02:24 AM
Senior Board Member

well some manufacturers suggest you change oil, rear dope & trans at different miles. see when yours should be done & do it. also if any belts or hoses are old or worn replace, but put old one's in side box as spare. have at least one spare of every size hose & belt on truck. this way you will never be stranded because of it. i carry several gallons of water too. that is just my choice. most dont. check all fluid levels before leaving out on trip. also watch where air lines & hoses are touching one another or rubbing anywhere. they will rub a hole eventually. i just had one rub thru on air line going to the fan clutch. after replaced. just slice an old peice of hose down the middle and wrap around where the rub spot is & fasten with plastic ties. this will keep from rubbing another hole thru air line. there are so many other things to do. like carry spare lights & fueses of every type on truck & trailer. the list goes on..
Old 06-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The two most critical things to check are grease and oil changes.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree g-man. every 12000 my oil gets changed & I grease everything front front to back. maybe thats why ive had 8 years & never had a breakdown away from home other than a 1 time sensor going out. also maybe the reason I was able to hit 1 mil miles & still going. :lol:
Old 06-18-2007, 02:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

A little grease, fresh oil and filters can prevent a lot of problems, heavyhaulerss. 8)
Old 06-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
A little grease, fresh oil and filters can prevent a lot of problems, heavyhaulerss. 8)
At what intervals should greasing be done, and air filters changed ? What are the main areas that should be greased ?
Old 06-18-2007, 03:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I know some owner operators who grease their trucks about half way through their oil change cycle. If you change your oil at 15,000 miles, then grease at around 7,500 miles. I met a guy a few years ago who parked his truck the same place I parked and he greased his truck every week. I think that is a bit too frequent. I would look around for all the fittings. The front end and drive train will likely see the most wear, so I would pay close attention to those fittings. There are fittings around the steering box and transmission. There is on fitting on my International which can easily be over looked unless you are used to doing maintenance on them. It is up around the transmission or bell housing. You always want to pay attention to fluid levels in the rears and any leaking around wheel seals. I check my air filter and change when it needs it. I would say about every third oil change at my intervals. If you run in dusty areas, you will probably need to change the air filter more frequently. At one time, I changed my air filter when I did the oil change. At about $36 it is a bit pricey. Changing that frequently isn't usually necessary.