User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 03:46 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

my oldman grease his truck every 2 weeks. He always said he like greaseing his truck himself cuz you can look around for other problems while your under the truck.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 06-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Senior Board Member

I believe in greasing every 5 working days.

This is for dump trucks.

Grease is cheaper than parts and it's a lot easier to install.

Don't forget the fittings on the clutch cross shaft at each side of the bellhousing, and also be sure to grease the clutch throwout bearing.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Excuse my ignorance, but does some of the truckstops do the greasing and how much do they charge? I have no problem taking care of the truck, but I'm not much for doing stuff like this myself.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:45 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most truck stops that have a garage should be able to lube your truck. Prices will vary, but I believe I usually pay about $18 for just the tractor.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:00 AM

There is no way I'll ever let some minimum wage drop out in a truck stop garage grease my truck.

I'll never be convinced they know where all the fittings are, or how much grease to put in each one, nevermind how much is too much to put in each one.

I went and spent around $200 on an electric grease gun and grease once a week. I look for other problems and do a thorough inspection while climbing under and around the truck. I keep a pair of coveralls inside a garbage bag in the side box just for this. When the coveralls get too slimed, I toss them and buy a new pair.

Other PM is changing oil every 12-15K, checking all oil and fluid levels daily, changing belts and hoses when showing wear, keeping the radiator and grill clean (keeps temps down). I check tire pressures every time I fuel (gotta get some of those crossfire things). Every time I grease I check the transmission and differential oil levels and adjust the brakes.

I carry spare belts and hoses of every size and type I might need along with air hose splices and a variety of fittings. I also have a spare alternator, several gallons of water and oil, spare fuel filters, and enough tools to do pretty much anything short of an in-frame on the side of the road.

I probably forgot a few things... will add more later if I think of anything.

Dan