User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I watched the re-run episode last night. Was un-impressed with several things. First and foremost was the tanker that spun-out on the hill. :? Why the heck would you put a set of singles on the back axle of a stuck truck? If your only gonna iron-up on only one drive axle, you hang the crap on the front axle. That way, while your spinning the iron to shreds, all that dirt your kicking loose, goes under the rear-axle, and provides traction for it.

Second thing I was not impressed with, was the grader operator pulling that truck out. :roll: Who taught that joker to "Yank" on a stuck truck like that?

Seems like the "BBR" mentality has gone through the roof, out there on the Ice, since they decided to make a TV show out of a job.
Next thing you know, their gonna be sending TV camera crews out with the loggers. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Senior Board Member

You know what they say,....

"That's entertainment"!!! 8)

Every truck driver shoots a gun out the window when another driver gets too close :roll:
Old 07-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Senior Board Member

the only way that grader was gonna move a b train uphill was to yank on it ya friggin rocket scientist
Old 07-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
the only way that grader was gonna move a b train uphill was to yank on it ya friggin rocket scientist

Excuse me Brian.......You have been doing this how long? You have been pulled out...how many times?

If that were My truck...and I saw that being done to it...I'd be giving the Owner of that Road maintaning company an ear full and a half.

I have had trucks weighing 60 to 80 thousand pounds, buried to the frames in mud, and not allowed a Dozer or Grader operator to yank on the unit's like that. I didn't even own any of them. A steady pull, with both units working together, works better, and is safer, than yanking the way that operator was allowed to yank on that Train.

I have spun out on Blewett Pass, in a Gas Tanker, weighing 105,000#, have slapped on a set of single chains, and pulled out of the situation, without the assistance of a grader.

You are right...it isn't Rocket Science.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:10 PM

on the show they said they get $1,500 a load, and the double loads and extra wide they get$2,500-$3,000 per load, and the top guys get about 40 loads in 2 months, so i guess they make about $60,000 gross in 2 months, also there is a chance you might die.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Senior Board Member

do it on an ice covered 8% grade in -30 weather where the driver already started digging in and i`ll give you everything I own :roll:
Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 PM

I worked in the oil fields back in the 70's and watched a grader snap a wire rope like that pulling out a tanker ... the wire rope stretched and then snapped ... the end went through the windshield and decappeted the driver ... happend in a second ...

Old 07-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
do it on an ice covered 8% grade in -30 weather where the driver already started digging in and i`ll give you everything I own :roll:
You are on dude. Schedule us a Truck date for late January. Maybe you can arrange for the film crew to be there.

WAIT...Just exactly how much do you own? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Okaaay..you don't own all that much.

Maybe you could get a job with say...Mercer Trucking, over in Spokane? I could fly up to Washington in late January and meet you on Stevens Pass.....say 2/3's the way up the west side. You will need to make sure it is a B-train...Mercer has a few of them...and load it down good and heavy, get the full 105K on it and make sure it has a decent number o fchains hanging on the rack....or should I bring the set's that I have down here in Texas up with me?? You stop the truck on the steepest, nastiest portion of the road..and I will chain that sucker up, and drive it away, while you stand there and watch. I won't even make you buy the plane ticket..or pay me for teaching you how to properly chain up a stalled truck on a steep, slick grade.

You will however, have to buy me a Hot Cocoa up at the Ski-lodge. Heck..for 2 cups of Hot Cocoa I could teach you how to drive that Train up to the maintenance shed behind the lodge and turn it around up there. I've only delivered a couple 30 or 40 loads of fuel up there...over a few seasons. 8) 8) 8) :shock:
Yes Brian...I have spun out on Stevens..while chained up. I just put on new chains, and eased on up the hill. I have also spun out on White Pass, on Manastache Hill, on Sherman Pass, and on Cabbage. Not once did I need to be "Yanked" out of the situation. LOL..believe it or not..I haven't spun out on Snoqualmie...but then...I know the trick to getting over "The Qual". (Psssst...you don't drive in the right lane-----stay all the way to the left going up through the curve......don't tell anybody else though!!!)

Brian..It has absolutely Nothing to do with how much force is applied, when it comes to getting a truck unstuck. It has everything to do with the manner in which you handle the equipment. To much throttle, with to low a gear and to little traction, just makes things worse. Had that B-train driver put that first set of singles on the front axle...or better yet..had he put chains on both axles..he could have walked that truck right out of that situation, without the grader, and with out making all those other trucks sit on that ice for 4 hours, as was stated on the program. He didn't start digging the holes he made, until he spun that back axle with chains on. Had he put those singles on the front axle..he would have still spun a bit...but he would have been spinning that gravel back into the rear axle...and given it traction...instead of throwing gravel under his front trailer.
Was that hill an 8% grade? Hard to see it as such on the tube.

You run on out to Stevens Pass...stop on the westbound shoulder, on the west slope, about 2/3's the way up, right there where there is not much of anything but space and tree tops. That stretch of the road is about 8% grade. Then ask yourself why the state made that section of road so much wider than the rest.

Maybe someday I can tell you about the company that had that set of trailers (which we have discussed so well here), when they were brand new. And why that company bought them in the first place. I do know what name they fuzzed out on the show, so that it couldn't be read.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:58 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

How the hell did you manage to spin out on Sherman? :P
For me the worst hill in the winter was 4th of July Pass-I never spun out on it but UPS always seemed to and they were always ahead of me :P