User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 07:21 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewercs2
Hey Devildice..... Speaking of bad days.......
I saw a Watkins Shepard truck the driver tried to make a u-turn in the middle of the highway where the highway patrol turns, center median... He didn't make it... Trailer was stuck on the west bound hammer lane DOT bumper on the road which put his rear tandem axle in the air and the tractors bumper was sticking out in the east bound hammer lane. This poor guy was really having a bad day! He saw my truck and looked right at me... :shock: The talk on CB was about how many tickets, damage to the road, to the vehicle and the loss of his job. All I could think was glad I didn't do the W&S route and get only 10 days of training!
I need to hook up my laptop and camera to record the stuff we see on the road...

pb
Congratulations Dewercs2!

arty:

I wanted to tell you that on my thread as I did not want to high jack DD thread but since you are non social over there these days I had to tell you over here!

I am glad that you did not go without training that you received from Davis.

For many it may work out that they are not in a bad situation until they gain the experience but as we all know for others it does not work out that way!

GFI uses a ice chest with ice to keep his stuff cold!

And now I am going to give DD his thread back! GFI wanted to call you I have to relook your number up! He said he thinks there may be a little extra pay for passing a Level 1 inspection. Not much but anything is better than nothing!

Goin Fer It's Wife
Old 08-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
dd,

Sounds like it was your turn for trouble. I figure now is better then in the middle of a snow storm somewhere! ......How are you keeping stuff cold? Ice or a plug in cooler?
What year is your truck?
Yeah it's my turn for a little trouble. Hopefully this will be the last issue for a while. My truck is a 2005. I do not have a way to keep anything cool yet. I have a Coleman 12v cooler but it's at home.

Quote:
I did my drop in Alabama and almost past out from the heat. I was bunging back down and got really dizzy. I just took a knee for a few and then made it back to the cab for water.
I didn't mention this in my post, but when I made my drop down in Fort Madison, IA last week, it was 104 degrees. When I was folding my tarp up, I started to get dizzy and went and knelt down under the trailer in the shade. Well I started to dry heave and I know that was a sign of heat exhaustion. I made it to the cab and got some water. I sat there for close to 30 minutes before I attempted to go back out. Not a good feeling I tell ya'.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Fer It
Devildice
Quote:
oh that's real nice.... Rolling Eyes I bet the neighbors enjoyed MY cookies!!! Wink
Now Now by the time you would end up getting those cookies they would be stale and old....yuck....we can not have that!

Goin Fer It's Wife

blah, blah, blah...... :wink: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member

08/17/07
I got to the KW dealership right at 11am and they said the valve just got in 5 minutes earlier, perfect timing. They got me in the shop right away and after a little adjusting I was out of there.

Called into Davis to report the status and they said I needed to get to Lovell, WY before 2:30pm to pick up the first of 2 loads. The second load is in Belle Fourche, SD and both of these loads will drop at one location in Michigan. The part that sucks is that I can not pick up the belle Fourche load until Monday, that’s 350 or so miles to run over 2 ˝ days!!!!!

The only good thing is that the total miles I will be paid for when it’s all done and said is just under 1700.
Anyways, I am rolling down to Lovell and I am following a Watkins Sheppard (SP) truck as we cross into Wyoming, there is a bunch of road construction. Well just as we come out of the construction and cop pulls out of a parking lot behind me and his lights are flashing. Oh course I am like “oh shit” he’s going to nail me for going a few mph over the posted construction speed limit. I start to pull over and he passes me…..whew!!!! He gets behind the WS truck and pulls him over. I start to slow down and ease around them (it’s a 2 lane highway) and he motions me to pull over behind his cruiser. Crap, he IS going to nail me. After speaking to the other driver, he comes over and tells me that both the other driver and I blew passed the Port of Entry and they called him to stop us. He had us follow him down the road where we could turn around and then headed back to the Point of Entry.

I just know I am about to get my first ticket. When I go inside, I am apologetic for going past and explain that I knew there was one coming up according to the atlas, but I did not see them. The DOT lady is laughing and says that it has happened a lot lately because the road construction blocks the signs. She looked at my permit book and told me to have a nice day……..again, WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member

08/18/07
I decided to stay the night there in Lovell, WY and hit the road at 9am this morning. It has been an easy day of driving today since I have 2 days to go 350 miles. As I cruised down HWY 212, I stopped several times to view the historical markers, scenic views, and Custer's Last Stand.

It’s amazing how much we forget or neglect about our history as we get caught up in the “rat-race” world of concrete and asphalt. It’s nice to stop and “smell the roses” so to speak once in a while.

I am sitting about 2 miles down the road from my customer at a little truck stop on 212 & 85 in Belle Fourche, SD. I went over to a local store across the street called Pamida, it’s like a generic Walmart and stocked up on some food and other little things so I am now good to go for a couple of weeks.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Board Regular

DD,

Don't forget the gatoraide..you need to hydrate before you hit the heat and pace yourself. Coffee isn't hydration btw.Glad you didn't get a ticket and thanks for keeping us updated.Sounds like your enjoying the Scenery.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
08/17/07
I got to the KW dealership right at 11am and they said the valve just got in 5 minutes earlier, perfect timing. They got me in the shop right away and after a little adjusting I was out of there.

Called into Davis to report the status and they said I needed to get to Lovell, WY before 2:30pm to pick up the first of 2 loads. The second load is in Belle Fourche, SD and both of these loads will drop at one location in Michigan. The part that sucks is that I can not pick up the belle Fourche load until Monday, that’s 350 or so miles to run over 2 ˝ days!!!!!

The only good thing is that the total miles I will be paid for when it’s all done and said is just under 1700.
Anyways, I am rolling down to Lovell and I am following a Watkins Sheppard (SP) truck as we cross into Wyoming, there is a bunch of road construction. Well just as we come out of the construction and cop pulls out of a parking lot behind me and his lights are flashing. Oh course I am like “oh $&!+” he’s going to nail me for going a few mph over the posted construction speed limit. I start to pull over and he passes me…..whew!!!! He gets behind the WS truck and pulls him over. I start to slow down and ease around them (it’s a 2 lane highway) and he motions me to pull over behind his cruiser. Crap, he IS going to nail me. After speaking to the other driver, he comes over and tells me that both the other driver and I blew passed the Port of Entry and they called him to stop us. He had us follow him down the road where we could turn around and then headed back to the Point of Entry.

I just know I am about to get my first ticket. When I go inside, I am apologetic for going past and explain that I knew there was one coming up according to the atlas, but I did not see them. The DOT lady is laughing and says that it has happened a lot lately because the road construction blocks the signs. She looked at my permit book and told me to have a nice day……..again, WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was good that you were apologetic and polite about the situation, but it seems that WYDOT knew it was a problem and should correct it. Can't win a pissing contest with the law! :sad:

This reminds me when I first started out in 1993, I don't know what I was thinking but I drove passed the weigh station entry on I5S at Woodburn, OR. As soon as I realized my error, I started slowing down to park on the shoulder. Well, the weighmaster was faster than me and was already exiting the scale office and walking to the fence that separated the scales from the highway. I get out and talked to him where he requests my log, license, and truck permit binder. After handing all that over, he instructs me to drive down the road to the next exit, go northbound to the next exit, and come back to his scales. I think that was like 15-20 miles(It seems like a 100!). I scaled and parked my truck. He gave me a big lecture, which I deserved, about how it would cost over $1000 and a criminal conviction if he wrote me a ticket.

Another time one night on US30 eastbound between Montpelier, ID and Kemmerer, WY there was this really light, powdery snow on the road. All the trucks were creating these hugh dust clouds driving thru it, so everyone was driving slow and NOT passing. I think there was a convoy of more than 20 trucks when we got to the Port of Entry in Kemmerer. Well one driver thought he could slip by in that weather and not stop at Port. When everyone else parked and went into the office, the DOT officer told us we best get a hold of that driver to come back. If he didn't coming back voluntary and had to be chase down, then that driver would at least be spending a cold night at this officer scale. Us truckers relayed a message up the road to that driver, I think he got 10 miles down the road before turning around. Mr. Slick was the butt of all our jokes on the radio that night! :lol:

Last one, I posted on this website at http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=28123 some time ago. I got luck that day!!

Sorry that you got shutdown again for the weekend. Guess this week's miles aren't looking so good, but hopefully no more equipment. You seems to be taking it well, thou.

BTW, when are you due to go home so you can properly equip your new ride?

BOL
Old 08-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske
BTW, when are you due to go home so you can properly equip your new ride?
I am in th computer to be home by the 31st.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
dd,

Sounds like it was your turn for trouble. I figure now is better then in the middle of a snow storm somewhere! ......How are you keeping stuff cold? Ice or a plug in cooler?
What year is your truck?
Yeah it's my turn for a little trouble. Hopefully this will be the last issue for a while. My truck is a 2005. I do not have a way to keep anything cool yet. I have a Coleman 12v cooler but it's at home.

Doesnt do you a lot of good there

Quote:
I did my drop in Alabama and almost past out from the heat. I was bunging back down and got really dizzy. I just took a knee for a few and then made it back to the cab for water.
I didn't mention this in my post, but when I made my drop down in Fort Madison, IA last week, it was 104 degrees. When I was folding my tarp up, I started to get dizzy and went and knelt down under the trailer in the shade. Well I started to dry heave and I know that was a sign of heat exhaustion. I made it to the cab and got some water. I sat there for close to 30 minutes before I attempted to go back out. Not a good feeling I tell ya'.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

08/19/07
There really is nothing much to do in Belle Fourche on a Sunday, at least not the part I am at. So I was nothing less than a lazy bum today, well sort of. I cleaned the inside of the truck out the best I could with what little materials I have available. I went back over to the Pamida store and looked around, watched a couple of movies, and planned my route out to a “T” as to where I will fuel, where I will shut down for the night, etc. It was a pretty boring yet relaxing day.