User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04 View Post
Hope ya got out of there....or else you are buried in SNOW!!
I sure did and barely!:thumbsup: However, I did get "caught" in some crappy weather on I-15 in south Utah at the 70/15 jct. Road was shut down for a few hours :thumbsdown:

Last edited by devildice; 10-30-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

The local news in Cheyenne was forecasting 2-3 feet of the white stuff by Tuesday evening/night. Knowing that, I vigorously searched for a load. It wasn't looking too good so I told myself that if by noon Tuesday I didn't have a load I was going to DH south and out of the path of the storm.

Come late Tuesday morning I had a load from Thornton (Denver area), CO lined up going to Mendota, CA. The rate was just O.K., I mean, I would make money on it, but nothing to jump up and down about. The important thing was that I would be (hopefully) out of the area before the storm hits.

It was late afternoon when I finally got loaded and rolling down the road. The question was do I stay on I-25 south down to the 40 to avoid any possible weather......or should I take my chances on I-70? If I take the 25 it adds about 200 extra miles onto my route. I decided to go for I-70. By the time I got to the summit of Vail, the temp was in the low 20's and it was snowing, but the roads were just wet.

By Grand Junction it was dry and temp was 43 degrees. I had planned on making Parowan, UT before shutting down but ended up calling it a day in Green River. It was a cool 40 outside and I slept like a baby without having to idle the truck. The following morning I got rolling down the road and again it was in the 40's and dry. That changed real quick and before I knew it the temp had dropped to 19 and the roads were snow/ice packed. The chain law was not in effect but there were several drivers pulling over and throwing iron. Since my chains are strictly for decoration, I decided to just take it slow and steady barefoot.

As I was approaching the I-70 junction, there were reports over the the CB that I-15 south was closed. Sure enough it was shut down. We sat there on the road for roughly 2 hours. It turned out that the weather caused several accidents with both big trucks and 4wheelers. It wasn't until damn nearly the UT/AZ state line before the weather got better.

I eventually made it to Barstow, CA and shut it down for the day. I was hoping to get farther, but the weather and road closure really put a damper on those plans. I had about 250 miles to go to the job site so I was up and rolling by 4am local. I made the delivery and bounced to the Pilot in Mareda, CA. I had a few load offers but there were all going Bloomfield and Denver, CO. Needless to say I have no intentions on going back that way anytime soon so here I sit. I am hopeful I can catch a decent paying load before the weekend comes.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Senior Board Member

You know I either have completely rotten luck or really good luck, there's never any middle ground. Here lately I think "Lady Luck" has been riding in my jump seat.

I got awaken early Friday morning by a phone call from an agent offering me one of 2 loads from United Rentals in Modesto, CA going to either Round Rock, TX or San Antonio, TX. Of course I picked the San Antonio load and the best part is that it paid 1.99 mile which is a decent rate for California.

I bounced about 75 miles up the road to Modesto and loaded one S-45 Genie "man lift" weighing barely 14k. 2 chains and 1 strap later I was rolling down the road. The entire run went smoothly and without incident. The best part was that the weather was perfect. I got to the house Sunday evening and made the delivery early this morning.

I am now sitting back at the house for a few days of rest and relaxation before I think about heading back out.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Senior Board Member

enjoy your time off!!

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04 View Post
enjoy your time off!!
Thanks...I always cherish every moment at home and this time has not been any different
Old 11-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Well I've been home for a couple of days now and have knocked out a huge chunk in the ole "honey do list".

With the holiday season just around the corner, my son coming home for X-mas, and the typical slow down in flatbed freight......I had told my wife before I came home that I was only planning on staying at the house for a few days and then getting back out there and hitting it as hard as the freight would allow me to in order to take some time off when my son comes home.

Today I booked a load from Brady, TX to Greenwood, SC for a Friday pick up. The load is light weight and surprisingly pays very well for Texas. Since I got the major stuff done on the "honey do list" I'll use the rest of my time at home sitting on the sofa opcorn:watching Maury and Jerry Springer :lol:
Old 11-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice View Post
Well I've been home for a couple of days now and have knocked out a huge chunk in the ole "honey do list".

With the holiday season just around the corner, my son coming home for X-mas, and the typical slow down in flatbed freight......I had told my wife before I came home that I was only planning on staying at the house for a few days and then getting back out there and hitting it as hard as the freight would allow me to in order to take some time off when my son comes home.

Today I booked a load from Brady, TX to Greenwood, SC for a Friday pick up. The load is light weight and surprisingly pays very well for Texas. Since I got the major stuff done on the "honey do list" I'll use the rest of my time at home sitting on the sofa opcorn:watching Maury and Jerry Springer :lol:
I am going to be delivery near Louisville, KY either Monday 9 Nov if I can get in early else Tuesday. I see you are going to be in South Carolina, maybe our paths will cross next week.

BTW, I missed that snowstorm last week when I loaded out of Raveswood, WV with a pickup in Wichita, KS and drops in Calexico and Compton, CA. The drop in Calexico allow me to take US54 out of Santa Rosa, NM down thru Las Cruces, NM and onto I10. South of Santa Rosa there was a little packed snow and ice, but it was only for 20-30 miles.

Last week was a very good week for me. I had a restart in London, Ontario on Sunday 1 Nov. I delivered in Cambridge, ON Monday and reloaded in Raveswood that evening. Made my pickup in Wichita Wednesday at noon. Delivered in Calexico Friday morning and Compton in the afternoon. Reloaded in Santa Fe Springs, CA Saturday morning and drove to my brother's house in SF Bay Area. It was about 3500 miles for 6 days running. I headed north out my brother's place last Monday for the Northwest.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:39 AM

*this is an offical announcement*

you now owe me beer for winning the worst day this week contest

have fun running this weekend, i'll be in the LA area until, well until god knows when....LoL

also, check the BCO board, seen a couple bad notes for your reload
Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member

I know that the economy is crap and we are entering the slow season for platform freight, but for the past couple of weeks you couldn't convince me of that.

I guess ole "Lady Luck" was still with me because I have been running constantly and with good rates. I have had as many as 3 loads booked back to back before I even picked up the first. I have not sat more than over night and although I may not be laughing all the way to the bank, I certainly am smiling ear to ear

I decided I (and my log book....lol) needed a break so I booked a load to Laredo, TX and bounce to the house after delivering it for some must needed rest and relaxation.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad to hear that you are staying busy, devildice.