User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 03:25 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well I ran across US 50 and all I can say is WOW :thumbsup:. Although matcat's pics look nice, they don't do any justice as the scenery in person was breath taking!!! Those are the kind of secondary highways I enjoy running the most. There were a few curves, some long pulls (didn't phase me much as I am loaded pretty light), and I hit a lot of rain on Monarch Pass, but as everyone said it wasn't that bad and definitely worth the ride.

Thanks again to you all for the heads up!! :bow:
Old 07-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice View Post
Well I ran across US 50 and all I can say is WOW :thumbsup:. Although matcat's pics look nice, they don't do any justice as the scenery in person was breath taking!!! Those are the kind of secondary highways I enjoy running the most. There were a few curves, some long pulls (didn't phase me much as I am loaded pretty light), and I hit a lot of rain on Monarch Pass, but as everyone said it wasn't that bad and definitely worth the ride.

Thanks again to you all for the heads up!! :bow:
Were you able to breathe up there DD?? Sometimes "Flatlanders" find the air up there sorta on the thin side!! :lol:

Now that you have done it warm...go again in the winter! It is incredible to drive up through there with 7 to 8 inches of fresh powder on the road, just you and the truck rolling along! Awesomeness to the top!! :love: :love:

After that...you tackle Red Mountain. The first time over Red Mountain, you go up from the Durango side....just so you have a chance to get your feet wet. Then take a trip the other direction...running up and over from the Ouray side!! You won't regret it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Old 07-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Were you able to breathe up there DD?? Sometimes "Flatlanders" find the air up there sorta on the thin side!! :lol:
Ha, ha....you're hilarious!!:rofl::rofl: But yeah, I somehow managed to breathe just fine.

Quote:
Now that you have done it warm...go again in the winter! It is incredible to drive up through there with 7 to 8 inches of fresh powder on the road, just you and the truck rolling along! Awesomeness to the top!! :love: :love:
hmmmmm .....not so sure I would want to run it in the winter. What's that old saying......"if ur scared say ur scared".......

Quote:
After that...you tackle Red Mountain. The first time over Red Mountain, you go up from the Durango side....just so you have a chance to get your feet wet. Then take a trip the other direction...running up and over from the Ouray side!! You won't regret it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
hate to sound dumb, but I am not sure where that is.....
Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Guess it's that time again......

Myself along with 4 other drivers loaded some Marine Harrier Aircraft support equipment at the Naval Air Facility in El Centro, CA on Monday the 29th of June headed to MCAS Cherry Point, NC. The Marines had told us that we could either deliver by 2pm eastern time on Thursday or wait until Tuesday as they were taking Friday thru Monday off when they returned to NC.

As I got got rolling down the road I started to calculate my time and distance to Cherry Point, I figured out that if I wanted to deliver Thursday I would have to run a little hard and do nothing less than about 750 miles a day. By the time I had reached the I-10/I-20 split in Texas, I decided to just swing by the house for a few days and deliver Tuesday. Talking with the other drivers, they too had all decided to do the same thing.
Hey Chief, Still hauling trash for Jarheads!! OoRah!!!!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:46 AM
Board Regular
Default Try out this new Dedicated Run

DD,

BTW, I got a call from my company's Operations Manager last Friday while I was off for the week. We are starting up a new dedicated run and he ask me to take the first turn on it. I think I am the guinea pig and maybe I won't get it(or want it) permanently, but it cool to be thought of. Anyhow, I picked up today in Renton, WA empty containers to deliver in Tucson, AZ where I will reload full containers for deliver back to Renton next Monday. It works out to be 3200 miles and I am paid for 2 extra stops even thou it just a drive around to the other side of the facility on both ends. I have family and friends in route which is icing on the deal. Sweet huh?!?

So the new ride is working out good? You have been coast to coast and the Rockies so you should know now what it can do.

Later
Old 07-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:

hmmmmm .....not so sure I would want to run it in the winter. What's that old saying......"if ur scared say ur scared".......

hate to sound dumb, but I am not sure where that is.....
If you're talking about what I think, that's a pretty tough drive even in a car... very narrow road, lots of tight 5 mph S-curves, steep grade. Just before coming down into Ouray the road is cut into the side of the mountain with a sheer drop off of a few thousand feet. Plus there is one section that is only 1-1/2 car widths wide. It's really a single lane in that part.

Packed with tourists in the summer wanting to scare themselves s**t-less on the most amazing road in the state. Heck, even the motorcyclists ride down the center of their lane...
Old 07-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
If you're talking about what I think, that's a pretty tough drive even in a car... very narrow road, lots of tight 5 mph S-curves, steep grade. Just before coming down into Ouray the road is cut into the side of the mountain with a sheer drop off of a few thousand feet. Plus there is one section that is only 1-1/2 car widths wide. It's really a single lane in that part.

Packed with tourists in the summer wanting to scare themselves s**t-less on the most amazing road in the state. Heck, even the motorcyclists ride down the center of their lane...
That's the route!! My first time across there was in a ITH Paystar5000, with a 549 gas-hawg engine and a RR 13 speed, pulling a 5000 gallon acid transport! Awesome drive! Let's you know that you are living!! Silverton is one of the best spot's on earth...in my opinion!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske View Post
Hey Chief, Still hauling trash for Jarheads!! OoRah!!!!
:lol2:
Old 07-17-2009, 02:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske View Post
DD,

BTW, I got a call from my company's Operations Manager last Friday while I was off for the week. We are starting up a new dedicated run and he ask me to take the first turn on it. I think I am the guinea pig and maybe I won't get it(or want it) permanently, but it cool to be thought of. Anyhow, I picked up today in Renton, WA empty containers to deliver in Tucson, AZ where I will reload full containers for deliver back to Renton next Monday. It works out to be 3200 miles and I am paid for 2 extra stops even thou it just a drive around to the other side of the facility on both ends. I have family and friends in route which is icing on the deal. Sweet huh?!?

So the new ride is working out good? You have been coast to coast and the Rockies so you should know now what it can do.

Later
Sounds like a nice little run.....congrats!!! Yeah the ride is doing good. I think I will have it turned up to 550hp though.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Well I made my drop in Ennis, TX on time. I was originally going to bounce some 250 miles to the house to drop my son off and relax for a day or two when I got offered a load out of Gainesville, TX heading to Austin, TX. So instead of deadheading 250+ miles home, I deadheaded 100 miles north and picked up 42k of roofing paper/material that paid me $3.77 mile. It paid decent because it was a short run and it had 3,200lbs of hazmat on it. It was an easy load and easy run that put a few extra bucks in my pocket and left me only about 75 miles to deadhead home.

I am now at home and am waiting for an agent to call me back tomorrow (Friday) on a nice paying load. If all goes well I will head out in the morning, if not, I will more than likely be home throughout the weekend and get back on the road next week.