User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2007, 08:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How much do you make.

I plan on getting into the trucking business specifically dump trucking and was wondering what some of you fellow dump truck drivers and other drivers bring in yearly after all overhead cost. How much do you pocket? I live in florida and a fellow dump truck driver and close friend to the family said he brought in 80,000 dollars with one truck a couple years ago when business was alot better then it is now. So Im just curious what others are bringing in. This business that I will eventually start is more of an investment then anything else im not relying on the truck to keep my bills going. But Im hoping to learn everything I can and get the business that I need to maybe become a broker one day. Discuss.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Rookie

I love these types of post. No one ever responds. I suggest "acting". Find a load board online and act as if you have your own authority and try to get the rates for loads in the lanes you would want to travel. Never take the word of other truckdrivers :roll: especially when it comes to how much they make. I've heard many trucking stories. I love the ones claiming to make insane amounts of money. No one wants to admit they take cheap freight. I watch loadboards all day for a living and watch cheap freight move one after another. It's sad but true. So, I suggest doing your own research, what works for one carrier may not work for another. Everyone has different variables such as equipment, overhead, etc that makes them profitable.
[email protected]
Old 06-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Rookie

Real estate is an investment, The trucking buiness is work your either in it on it or under it .
Old 06-01-2007, 01:22 AM
Rookie

Well said jacko. lol
[email protected]
Old 06-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Senior Board Member

You know I don't mean to be rude or anything, but this reminds me of a couple of years ago when I was selling my condo. This was in the frenzy of S.E. Florida real estate. Some guy was buying it for cash. At the time he was offering the highest price gotten for a condo in that development.

Anyway during the inspection I got to talking with the guy, keep in mind at this point the condo was already under contract with him. So we get to talking and he asks me what the rents are going for in that place as he planned on renting it out. I was taken a little aback. I mean I don't think that was the time to be wondering what kind of ROI he would be looking on getting.

So in the same vein, and again I don't mean this to be rude, but your question is basically how much am I going to make? That's a simplistic way in my opinion to be doing your research on a business you plan on investing in
Old 06-01-2007, 02:13 AM

the ?? is to vague. will you do your own maintanance, tires? will you buy a new truck or pay cash for a good used one. do you have work lined up with several outfits and if so what are they paying how much work do they have for you? how much money did your friend net out of the $80,000 I don't really give a rats rearend what someone grosses a year its what is left after ALL expenses that matters. why did your friend get out of the dumptruck business?
Old 06-01-2007, 02:14 AM
Board Regular

When you buy a truck, the only thing you've done is bought yourself a job!
Old 06-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Senior Board Member

trucking business.. hmmmm expect to go from feast to famine :lol: & back & forth....
Old 06-01-2007, 04:19 AM
Rookie
Default well, I bought one in Feb

I Just bought a Transfer and here in California where business was supposed to be slammen ITS NOT!!! ITS JUNE TOO!!!!!!
No one -hardly even the Brokers are out. If your town is large enough and you are great in "sales" (because you will have to be if you want to be a broker), Youll do fine but only if there is work. We make $88to 95 hrly here but THERE IS NO WORK!!!!
Im sitting on $3k a month just for truck and Insurance.
Brokering takes a long time to get into and its a big pain. No life and plan on your phone ringing constantly and be able to tell people "no" ALOT.
Dont forget the houseing market is a huge part of this business; RIGHT NOW ITS DOWN.
So your friends $80K looked good a couple years ago but could be $25K this year. Is there an abundance of trucks there? Have you called the quarries? and do they need extra trucks or you to go out for them? Big landscape yards , will they work you? Does your wife have a fulltime job? Can she cover your fuel bill, if your Tranny goes? Do you have $10k in the bank? Whats your buddy saying now about work? Is he running full tilt? Does he need more trucks? Who have you talked to? all these questions matter.
The guys are right too, your either in it or under it and if you broker-plan on never sleeping.

Its a tuff business right now...please remember that fact.

ok had to edit reread the part where you said an investment. Which confuses me now but ok...Lease one- dont buy one that way everything is a write off and are you going to drive it? if so get a transfer, might as well if your going to get a dump truck, they are better than just 10 wheelen. they work more often. A