User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Progressive insurance for newbies

As many of you know, I started with the newbie insurance from Progressive for people who have no experience and was restricted to a 300 mile radius from my home. My policy was paid in full and is coming due for renewal this August. I have since got other insurance without the radius restriction.

I got a call from Progressive about renewal. I told them I had gone with someone else. This wasn't some telemarketer who called me, it was a real agent with a mind. Some facts I didn't know about my policy.

Depending on your driving record and education dictates what radius you first get. In my case it was 300 miles. Others may start with 150 miles. You can keep calling up and get your radius increased to a maximum of 500 miles if you've been a good boy. The premium will be higher.

You can make 4 trips anywhere outside of your radius in one year if your back WITHIN your radius in 7 days. You don't have to go home, you just have to be within your radius.

You can lump your 4 trips together for a 4 week trip out or 2 trips and be out for 2 weeks.

After you have used up your 4 weeks you can do as many as you like but you have to pay a premium for each additional week you want. He could not tell me how much it was.

Thought I would pass this on. I didn't know all these facts.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Good post.

So were you restricted to a radius? Cuz if youe were, you blew it out of the water LOL.

I assume you went with someone else because you got a better rate? If it's not prying to deep, I'd like to know what you're paying. We are paying an outrageous, almost crippling $37,000 CDN (Markell) for 3 trucks ('95, '98 and and '01).

The price really jumps when you go to the US. The '95 was $1500 (Economical Mutual) if it stays in Canada.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Good post.

So were you restricted to a radius? Cuz if youe were, you blew it out of the water LOL.

I assume you went with someone else because you got a better rate? If it's not prying to deep, I'd like to know what you're paying. We are paying an outrageous, almost crippling $37,000 CDN (Markell) for 3 trucks ('95, '98 and and '01).

The price really jumps when you go to the US. The '95 was $1500 (Economical Mutual) if it stays in Canada.
Yes, I was restricted but was in a great area for my 300 mile radius. I used up my 4 trips and bought more. I was only with Progressive for a little while when my cargo insurance agent asked why I didn't go with them. I gave them all my insurance for car, motorcycle, boat and snow mobile My cargo is $1,100 and my liability is I think around $5,500.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Good info Steve...thanks!
Old 05-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Progressive insurance for newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
After you have used up your 4 weeks you can do as many as you like but you have to pay a premium for each additional week you want. He could not tell me how much it was.
I'm wondering why he wouldn't tell you. Maybe it's because it's not worth the extra work for the agent. I only have 14 months on my license and I have two agents telling me I can get insurance. One called me back today with a definitive yes.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Board Regular

Steve, you don't buy any collision at all? Seems like you're dead in the water if it took $20,000 to $30,000 to get it back on the road.

What are your deductibles?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:35 AM
Board Regular

http://www.ooida.com/Benefits/truck_insurance/own.html

Has anyone delt with this?

I know they require no credit checks...
Old 05-31-2007, 05:14 AM

Yes, I have collision on both the tractor and trailer with a $500 deductable and also uninsured motorist and under insured motorist.