User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 02:21 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default noob question about o/os finding loads

OK so i really don't know a whole lot about being an O/O with their own authority compared to leasing on with a company, but i am trying to figure it all out.

My question is this: How do you go about finding loads? Ok so that is a general question but one i don't really understand. Being leased to a carrier you get their loads so there really isn't anytihng to find on your own. So how does the process work when you don't have access to a carier's boards? Do you go through a number of brokers or just find one good one? Or do you cold call companies that need stuff shipped? I really just don't get this aspect.

I would like to be an O/O some day in the future and any info you guys can provide will be great help in showing me the picture. thanks.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Somebody may pick this up but the information you want is all over the board already. I'm leased on so I couldn't tell you too much.

You could read this:

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...=finding+loads

You could also read Steve's blog. He started from scratch and I believe it covers everything right down to how to shit in your truck. :wink: :lol:

I clicked on the search feature and punched in 'finding loads'. Play around with the search button up there, the info you want is already on the board now. If you go that route you can come back with interesting, specific questions that I'm sure everyone will want to discuss and debate. But, like I said, someone may spell it out for you here, too.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

You subscribe to one or more load boards and post your truck as available in a certain city and town or wherever you are. You can either check out all the loads and call yourself or you can wait and most of the time the brokers will call you. It's easy.

You won't find one broker to handle you. I've been going for 6 months and deal with a different broker every time. There are thousands of them. They all have shippers of there own and you could call them when your back in town but chances are you will be bouncing all over the U.S..
Old 05-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When you run your own authority, you can find your own shippers. It takes time to make sales calls. Some find it easier to just use brokers. I try to limit the number of brokers that I do business, but it is difficult. I do have some outbound freight which comes mostly from a couple of sources. The problem I sometimes have is getting right back to take another load from a shipper. There are certain areas I go where I can usually get a load back to the house from one particular broker.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:44 AM
Rookie

The best way to do it is by subscribing to a few load boards and post your truck. Like Steve said you could call yourself or wait till they call you. If you have a spouse at home you could have them look for loads as well. If you have never booked a load with a broker then I will explain how it works. You see a load that meets your criteria and you call on it ( the way freight is moving on the load boards in some areas you need to call quick) if you like the load then they will send you their contract. You sign the contract and fax over all your paperwork ( ie insurance cert, copy of mc, and signed w9) they will then fax over your comfirmation page that you will sign and fax back. They will then dispatch you. You deliver the load and take the confirmation that they sent you with the signed bill of lading you send them along with your own invoice and wahla you are done. Hope this helps