User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Mom of two needs advice - I promise not to get mean w/you

Ok, guys (and ladies), here's my question.

My husband just bought his first truck a couple months ago. He is currently leased to Greatwide and hauls dedicated for Wal-Mart. I got my CDL permit and am going to go take my test here shortly.

We have two kids, no we are not taking them on the road, that's plain silly. I plan on hiring a full-time, live-in nanny. She is a good friend and trustworthy. Thing is, will it be worth my time to work as a team with my hubby? He's been driving for 4 years. I've driven the truck from Dallas to Austin several times so I can do that fine. I did it just to prove to him

Our son will be a junior in high school next fall and my daughter will be in 4th grade, they are both home schooled and that won't change. I plan on only doing this for a year to make some money to open up a ladies boutique as I do not want to go in debt to do so.

My question to you guys, is that something feasible? Do you guys know of anybody that does this now? Any feedback, good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

I promise not to get ticked off at any responses, after all, I'm asking, right? Oh, I almost forgot, how much do Teams make?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Yeah sounds workable to me....see teams like that always on-the-road.
$ wise dunno....tooo many variables, at the worst case scenaro would hope combined you make 1.5 times what your husband currently makes....best probably double his for you both to split huh?
Old 05-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't know what Greatwide pays, but in talking to owner operators who have leased to Walmart, they don't seem to make that much money. When you team, you basically double (or should) the revenue of what a solo or single driver should make. Since you don't have any experience, I would not expect you to be able to drive as hard as your husband, starting out. Another thing is your experience, or lack of experience. Most carriers have minimum driving experience requirements. You may want to check on that before doing anything else.

Opening a retail store is expensive. I don't know if you have experience with this type of store or it is just something you want to do. But, I doubt if you will be able to earn enough to open any sort of retail store in only one year of running team. In addition to inventory, there are a lot of other expenses, such as rent, utilities, advertising, payroll. I don't want to discourage you from pursuing your dream, but it is best to look at both sides of an issue, especially when it comes to spending money.

As a final note, I think it is best for children to have at least one parent at home, when possible. I think there are too many parents who are not there for their children when they really need them. I understand you feel you can trust this nanny, but it is still not mom. You can always pursue your dream of opening a boutique when they are out of school.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Rookie

I don't know what Walmart pays their company drivers. Hubby's check w/Greatwide is 2000-2500 per week, gross.

As for the retail store. I already have all the inventory for it, I am basically doing this for operating expenses such as lease and utilities. I quit my full-time job w/JP Morgan to stay home but I'm not the kind to just sit around.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico
I don't know what Walmart pays their company drivers. Hubby's check w/Greatwide is 2000-2500 per week, gross.

As for the retail store. I already have all the inventory for it, I am basically doing this for operating expenses such as lease and utilities. I quit my full-time job w/JP Morgan to stay home but I'm not the kind to just sit around.
2500? is he home often? or is he not making the miles
Old 05-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Rookie

[/quote]

2500? is he home often? or is he not making the miles [/quote]

He's home every day. Drives mostly nights.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico

I don't know what your husband's operating expenses, but you need to know what his true net is before you will have an idea of what you will make. Let's assume you can do 2,000/week yourself running team. At $0.30/mile you can gross $600/week. You may or may not be able to make that much running for Walmart. You are not giving us enough information to give you an honest answer. Most teams work for a company. As a team, you basically split the money for the week. The company assumes that each runs the same number of miles, whether they actually do or not. If the team is paid $0.30/mile then you split the rate but are paid for all miles. In other words, if you run 4,000/week as a team the team is paid $1,200. The money is split between the team, so each earns $600 for the week. As an owner operator you are in a little different situation, but the principle is the same. You will need to work that out with your husband.

I think you might find it easier to accomplish your goal of covering some of your basic overhead than including the inventory. Without additional information, we are basically shooting in the dark, but to give you an idea of what a new driver with no experience starting with a major carrier, should make around $28-32M during the first year. Out of that money, you will need to take out your taxes and personal road expenses. You can save some money by eating out of the truck. When you start running team will you be running the same routes or do longer hauls?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Rookie

GMAN,

Thanks for your input. Hmmm, we wouldn't be staying with Greatwide, we would look elsewhere. We would be doing long hauls OTR, not dedicated like what my husband is doing now. He's also off two days a week. Not happening if we team, I know.

I'm kind of confused as to what information you are wanting. I can look at my hubby's settlement papers if you tell me what to look for.

As for my boutique, I would run it myself, overhead is not a problem. I do have some money socked away as well. Also, it's not a huge store. It's only going to be about 1500 sq. ft. and I've already looked at the demographics in the area and have figured out how much money I would need for the first 3 years. The lease is not expensive at all 1200/month. We have no debt.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Rico, I am glad you have given your idea of a boutique some thought. I always like to see people become successful in their own business.

You asked about how much money you could make driving team. There is no way to give a definitive answer without knowing more about revenue and expenses in your particular situation. I do know about expenses of running trucks. If you run a truck for $0.90/mile the revenue stream and earnings will look much different than if you are running for $2/mile. You mentioned the gross your husband does each week. I thought you would keep the truck where it was currently leased. I spoke with a couple a couple of years ago who were leased to Covenant. They ran team. I was told that after expenses they made about $0.28/mile. Most teams should average somewhere between 5-7,000/week. This couple had their own truck and were leased to Covenant. They would have made more as a company team. I suggest talking to some carriers who run teams. Some pay better than others. Your lack of experience could impact the company where you lease. If you don't know where you might go there is a company's listing on this forum. It will list some of the larger carriers and their requirements. Do you have an idea of where you want to lease?
Old 05-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Last week I delivered to a dirt hauling operation here; after I made the delivery I took my 10min break to rehydrate and was BSing with the owner inside.

Dirt has been slow and he has been doing on-call day cab work for the Wal-Mart DC east of town. He said that while he gets ok money for being on call, the main contractors (CRE and Greatwide) don't earn much. Looking that the slick website Greatwide has they don't actually say what they pay anywhere.

WMs model is not set up to need or reward team drivers.

Talking to the team company drivers for our Truckload division they earn 1200-1400 per week EACH plus decent bennies that are 1% of take home. I suspect that this is on the high side, but it should give you an estimate

It is hardcore team driving that is not for anyone, 5500-6500mi per week.

Given that they are effectively LTL line drivers running a coast to coast lane they keep the down time to a min. From the dock worker/driver side I know our surpervisors get in hot water if the trailers are more than 30min late on a regular basis.

I second G-Mans view about having at least one parent home for your kid in grade school