User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Arky, you can get your base plates through Landstar, if you wish. Otherwise, you will need to take a copy of your lease and go to your state IRP office if you want to get your own base plates. It will likely cost less to get your own plates in your home state. Most states use an estimate of miles when you register. The only way to tell for sure is to go to their office and fill out the form. They will tell you the figure once they input all the data. It should cost less with the smaller vehicle than a class 8 truck. If you are leasing to Landstar they usually their base plates through Illinois. They can give you the cost for Illinois. Illinois is one of the higher states for base plates.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by floored
Wish I could register my truck somewhere other than CA, my plates run about $2400 a year :cry: But since I only run in CA I don't think I could get them elsewhere?? Anyone know a loop hole? lol

Floored, it might cost less for you to base plate your truck for all 48 states rather than just California, even if you only run California. If you have a way to establish residency for you or your business in another state, you could probably use another state. Otherwise, I think you are stuck with California. :cry:
Old 05-12-2007, 03:46 PM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by floored
Wish I could register my truck somewhere other than CA, my plates run about $2400 a year :cry: But since I only run in CA I don't think I could get them elsewhere?? Anyone know a loop hole? lol

Floored, it might cost less for you to base plate your truck for all 48 states rather than just California, even if you only run California. If you have a way to establish residency for you or your business in another state, you could probably use another state. Otherwise, I think you are stuck with California. :cry:
When I had my OTR truck I had purchased base plates for it through CA (per my carriers lease) and it was also $2400 even though the truck ran all 48. So I was suprised to learn it was the same rate for the truck that stays in state. From what I can tell the weight fees are what kill me. Anyway I was thinking of getting my LLC in Wyoming, maybe they have more affordable base plates? But then would I have IFTA to worry about?
Old 05-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk2001
hey, what's up with the Oklahoma plates? I know alot of big companies get their plates in OK because of tax breaks or something like that. anyone know about this?

Heard a funny joke when I was coming home with the truck and talking to someone in OK....dont remember it all, but something to the fact a lot of truck drivers were buying little plots of land, puuting up only a mailbox, and calling it a residency lol
That topic came out of me wanting to buy my trailer in OK if I got the plates and permits to come with it.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I just did mine in NH for $1,100
Was it with "estimated" miles?
Cause my first NJ plates, cost me just that. But already the next one, was$1,650.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:21 AM
Board Regular

thanks Gman. I've owned a few dump trucks over the years and am driving for Maverick currently but this is all new territory to me. I'll call Landstar next week and talk to them.

thanks for the help,

Arky
Old 05-13-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBooth
I just did mine in NH for $1,100
Was it with "estimated" miles?
Cause my first NJ plates, cost me just that. But already the next one, was$1,650.
Yes, it was estimated. Since I haven't been driving a whole year yet the lady who helped me fill out the form at the registry said it could be done this way. She said next year, I need real figures.

I kind of assumed it would be the same every year? I see on the form the price for each state. I didn't really read the form, I just went into there office and the girls did it for me. It's very informal and relaxing in NH. It's an office environment and you sit down at there desk and they can do everything.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The first year your fees are based upon estimated miles. Your subsequent years will be based upon actual mileage. Changes can occur from year to year based on where you run. If you primarily run in the higher tax states, your base plates will likely run more than if you were to run in the lower tax states.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Arky, you can get your base plates through Landstar, if you wish. Otherwise, you will need to take a copy of your lease and go to your state IRP office if you want to get your own base plates. It will likely cost less to get your own plates in your home state. Most states use an estimate of miles when you register. The only way to tell for sure is to go to their office and fill out the form. They will tell you the figure once they input all the data. It should cost less with the smaller vehicle than a class 8 truck. If you are leasing to Landstar they usually their base plates through Illinois. They can give you the cost for Illinois. Illinois is one of the higher states for base plates.

when u say a copy of the lease you mean with the carrier you are leased to??
Old 05-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

I am seriously considering buying a plot of land next year in OK.....say 100 miles of OK city.......hmmmm dont you have to have a shack or some type of structure to call it my corprate HQ's :idea: :idea: :idea: