User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Say would you guys do this?

One thing Ive noticed, is since I am new and unestablished, some of the brokers are telling me that great load I was calling about was just snatched......hmmmm magic?
What a guy had recommended on another board was this place called safe trucker, apparently he is an ex-landstar broker, n for 500 a month he says he can get me loads and keep me running (he seems to know a lot about the trucking buiz)
You guys ever heard anything like this, like hiring my own dispatching service eh? For a new carrier struggling to get work think this might possibly be worth it?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Senior Board Member

I never thought about it before, but do brokers use the old "bait and switch" to get more business?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Most shippers work with multiple brokers. You can see it on the load boards when there's like 5 or more loads going from the same place to the same destination. The first broker to get a driver gets the load. But, then you have the next broker 5 minutes later with a driver that will do it for less and all of a sudden you get a call back and they say the load was canceled or the customer is not ready to accept the load.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Say would you guys do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
One thing Ive noticed, is since I am new and unestablished, some of the brokers are telling me that great load I was calling about was just snatched......hmmmm magic?
What a guy had recommended on another board was this place called safe trucker, apparently he is an ex-landstar broker, n for 500 a month he says he can get me loads and keep me running (he seems to know a lot about the trucking buiz)
You guys ever heard anything like this, like hiring my own dispatching service eh? For a new carrier struggling to get work think this might possibly be worth it?
Wouldn't it better to do this on a percentage basis?
What if freight slows down and he can't get you loads for a couple weeks are you still gonna have to pay the $500?

I would do this for a percentage fee only.

$4,000 a week at 3% would be $120,or maybe a flat per load fee $50-$75?

Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member

The fact that you knew it was a great load means that lots of other guys did too. Odds are you just weren't quick enough on the dial, will happen all the time. I don't see much advantage to a broker pulling a bait-and-switch. The rate's either good enough to take or it's not.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
The fact that you knew it was a great load means that lots of other guys did too. Odds are you just weren't quick enough on the dial, will happen all the time. I don't see much advantage to a broker pulling a bait-and-switch. The rate's either good enough to take or it's not.
I didn't mean to imply they were doing it ( bait and switch ) because I know NOTHING about how it all works. It was when he said that the broker said that the load was just taken he has a chance to "sell" you on another, lesser load. Just a thought.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I doubt that the broker was using "bait and switch." Most brokers are not going to waste the time on a load that doesn't exist. Most brokers are only going to list loads that they have at the moment. That doesn't mean that others don't have the same load. Even some of the smaller brokers have more than one person in the office. I am not saying that it doesn't happen, but I see no benefit to a broker doing it.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill
Default Re: Say would you guys do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe4158
Wouldn't it better to do this on a percentage basis?
What if freight slows down and he can't get you loads for a couple weeks are you still gonna have to pay the $500?

Thks Mike for the tip, but doubt they would negotiate the rate, they seemed pretty confident that for the $500 a month he could keep me running with decent freight, and would make it worth it to me.
The negotiation would be on what loads he could find me, after wading a few days thru crap loads I am seriously considering it (wow lots of 1.00 a mile 45,000 lb loads out here; WTF dont these brokers know thats BS? Who could live on that?)
I just never before heard of such a service, didnt even know there was one out there.
I am considering it next onth tho that once I have all my single state permits in hand, can send my IFTA in from the road, and have my permanate CAB, and start from the beginning of the month, might give his idea a try.

I would do this for a percentage fee only.

$4,000 a week at 3% would be $120,or maybe a flat per load fee $50-$75?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
and all of a sudden you get a call back and they say the load was canceled or the customer is not ready to accept the load.
...and sometimes you don;t get a call at all. :shock: :twisted: :sad:
Old 05-09-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
Quote:
and all of a sudden you get a call back and they say the load was canceled or the customer is not ready to accept the load.
...and sometimes you don;t get a call at all. :shock: :twisted: :sad:
I got a load this morning back out to Wyoming. My phone has been ringing non stop today. Some of the brokers hang up on me when I tell them I already have a load. Good thing for caller ID. I give them crap when I call them back!!!