User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Just finished my first run as owner/operator!

Hurray! I finally quit my job as company driver; got a job with a new carrier and then went out and bought my first used truck in Ontario, Canada! My new baby is a 2004 International 9400 with a hi-rise sleeper, Cat C-15 435 hp 1650 lb/ft torque, 13 speed transmission, 3.73 rears. It was built in December 2003, but went on the road for the first time only in January 2005 (sat at the dealer's for 1 year), and when I bought it had ... 160,000 miles on the odometer.

The purchase price in Canadian funds was $64,500 and the dealer agreed to put down $3,000 towards the down payment with me giving them just under $6,000. The financing is for 42 months at 9.75% interest and my payments are the manageable $1,565/mo (no tax on top). It took a while to get this deal done, but it was worth it. The dealer agreed to: replace the rear fenders, touch paint the rear steel rim tandems, transfer the extended warranties (engine, transmission, differentials) to my name at $0 cost; and also presented me with a free "owner/operator's package" (a jacket, a pair of gloves, a leather folder).

On my first run with a light load (Brantford, ON to Montreal QC to Perryville, MD), the truck showed 7.1 mpg. My cruising speed was 59 mph. Truck News, a Canadian trucking magazine, is going to publish my two stories about this frightful experience of quitting the comfort of a company driver's job and switching to the uncertainty of being an owner/operator.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 04-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Good luck with your new truck

$57,782.75 U.S. money for those who are wondering.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Senior Board Member

way to go, good luck, and keep us posted
Old 04-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Hey Tracer
Glad to hear about your new venture. Keep us posted as much as time allows as to your adventures like Steve B does. It's a wealth of knowledge learning from others experiences.
Just wish the time was right for me to do it, but I'm thinking another 3-4 years and then all the pieces to the puzzle will fall together.
I will follow with great interest.
Steve
Old 04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Senior Board Member

The truck even though it was in great shape took a lot of small work to get it ready 100%. You really have to be mechanically inclined - and enjoy tinkering! - to do this stuff.

Here's a quick rundown. (1) The CAT engine had lots of rusty spots. I bought a Rust Inhibitor and sprayed the engine. It looks much better now (spray doesn't hurt electrical components, painted surfaces etc.). It cleaned up the rust and covered the 'sick' spots with special film to prevent additional rusting. (2) Headlights were misaligned; no information in the truck manual on how to aim them properly. I bought a Phillips screwdriver at a truckstop for 3 bucks and by the method of trial and error adjusted them properly. (3) Cruise control worked erratically. Couldn't turn it on after the truck was shut down. The guys at my carrier's shop couldn't help; so I drove the truck to the nearest TOROMONT CAT shop and it took them 2 minutes to determine the reason was ... the switch near the clutch pedal which tells the engine computer to activate/deactivate the cruise control. I replaced the switch but it didn't help: the clutch pedal still doesn't go back all the way if you release it slowly. Will probably have to replace the $10 'clutch return spring'. (4) The steering wheel was sitting at an angle. I took the truck to an alignment place and they aligned all the wheels and adjusted the steering wheel. It's much better now. (5) The front left tire had 'hollows' in the tread because it had been mounted improperly; the tire guy said I'd probably get a few thousand miles more out of it before it had to be replaced. Our shop took the tires off, flipped the tires on the rims, and remounted them properly. (6) The outside mirrors were screwed up: showed too much of the ground (any position!) and were loose. I asked the shop to tighten them but when I checked again myself, the mirrors were still shaky. Will probably replace them later on with aerodynamic ones. (7) The engine developed a strange noise when under load, sounds like an empty aluminum plate jumps up and down on a metal surface. I thought the engine might have its valves misadjusted or something. Called up CAT and the guy on the phone said it was probably a leak in the engine eghaust (!). Booked an appointment at CAT for next Friday. Hope it's not something that costs a lot.

The plans for the future include: (1) installing the AirCell Intake Spacer for fuel economy and a couple of extra horses of power (www.aircellfleet.com); (2) installing the FS2500 bypass oil filter (www.fs2500.com); buying the GearMaster (tells you when to shift; (www.gearmaster.com); fixing the mudflaps in front of the drive tires; fixing the front bumper.

Regarding the maintenance: our Shop charges owner-operators a reduced hourly rate to do all the work, but I quickly found out they know little or nothing about CAT engines because most of their fleet trucks have Detroits. They even have no software to check the ECM on my truck. So, I decided to do my regular checkup and chassis maintenance at our Shop (they require it every 12,000 km or 7,500 mi) because of the reduced rates; but will use TOROMONT CAT for engine related work (PM1 is between every 15,000 mi and 30,000 mi).

From my first trip experience I can say I am real happy about the engine (despite the minor noise): it pulls like crazy. 1,650 lbs/ft of torque in a CAT is way better than 1,550 lb/ft in a Mercedes engine (my previous company truck). I was going at 1,300 rpm at 59 mph and with a light load (15,000 lbs), the truck rarely slowed on hills in PA, DE and MD. Still trying to figure out how low I can go with RPMs... Called CAT Global Support and the guy on the phone could only say that if the truck doesn't slow down at the RPM you're at, then it's a good choice, basically saying as long as you're above 1,100-1,200 rpm it's okay. What?

So, on the way back from Maryland to Canada, once I crossed the border, I experimented by setting the cruise at 1,250 rpm. My road speed was about 57-58 mph on QEW freeway between Fort Erie, ON and Hamilton, ON. I was afraid to look in the rear view mirriors (!) - the lineup behind me was unbelievable. But this was a 6 lane highway, and I was in the granny's lane, so if car drivers are afraid to pass a slow moving tractor-trailer using the 2 other available lanes (!), it's not my fault, right? My first concern right now is the huge fuel cost.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 04-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Congratulations on the new truck, Tracer. I sounds like you found a good truck. I have had very good service from International trucks. Any CAT dealer can hook up to your trucks computer and give you a printout. My local dealer has done that for me and hasn't even charged me for it. If you keep your maintenance up you should get many miles out of your truck.

You should be able to down shift between 1,100-1,300 rpm. I read an article once that recommended down shifting at 1,100 for maximum fuel economy.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Board Regular

Congratulations, Tracer. You might want to reconsider the aero mirrors. My International has them and the lenses are very loose, almost to the point of unsafe. Our shop claims there is no way to tighten them, I haven't forced the issue because I will be getting a new tractor in a couple of weeks. Not sure if they could be tightened up or not, maybe someone else will chime in, but I prefer the regular mirrors.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:37 AM
Board Icon

Yay, Tracer! :P Congrats on the truck. Keep us posted. 8)

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 04-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer
basically saying as long as you're above 1,100-1,200 rpm it's okay. What?
Try to keep it between 12 to 1400rpm, and don't be afraid, to drop it to 1100, for a short time(cresting the top of the hill).
Old 04-29-2007, 03:34 AM
Senior Board Member