User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman
The difference in fuel consumption is less then 0.05 a mile 65 vs 75 on this truck.
LMAO, you have to be kidding me. Even day to day fuel mileage can vary .5 MPG, you're telling me your fuel mileage only varies .05? Something tells me either you don't check as often as you should, or you trust your computer too much. They're ALWAYS off BTW.

Quote:
Going against the wind with a heavy load and up hill will burn you more fuel.
Just like going faster will. You're "wasting" more HP, which causes you to burn more fuel.

I'm *NOT* telling you how to run your business. I realize that some businesses require faster trucks, that's not what I'm arguing. If it works out that you make more money going faster, then giver.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Senior Board Member

I have to agree about the computer mpg,I had one of those on one truck and it was always off,if you are basing those figures off that,try and do it using hub miles vs. pumped gallons.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Board Regular

FYI Swift Lease Purchase Trucks are governed at 68mph. If you bring your own truck to Swift it is not governed but you have to average about 68mph over the course of the trip.

Owner Ops who are Trainers (Mentors) are governed at 65.

Swift does not pay .81 cents across the board. it pays .81 cents empty, .92 cents loaded. With fuel surcharge it averages about 1.20

Base plates and permits are free and insurance is about $70 a week depending on what State you live in. Tires can be bought using the Bridgestone or Michelin National account pricing.

If you bring your own truck to Swift, you can work for other companies besides Swift and still be leased to Swift, you just can't use Swift's Authority or Permits.

Swift terminals have their own fuel which they charge their O/OPs .10 to .25 less than the local big name truck stops.

Yes, I am an Owner/OP with my own truck with Swift for 4.5 years and there are plenty of happy drivers here. I get all the miles I want, I even have to turn down some loads because I get tired of running. My truck is not governed and never has been. O/Op Division is not forced dispatch, where ever I want to go I tell them. I never drove for Swift as a company driver. I have worked for brokers before and have been company drivers for Stevens Transport and US Xpress and have also worked local in Los Angeles, so I have seen both sides of the coin.

The bottom line is if it works for you and you're happy who cares what anyone else thinks. No matter where you go, where you work, or what you do, there will always be people who are happy, and then some who aren't. Welcome to the real world.

So drivers, get your facts straight before you open your pie hole.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:58 AM
Rookie

If you drove from LA say 5587 west 102nd st to lets say 168 Wilson St Brooklyn, NY
Which is about 2810 miles Assume you logged legally and what not.
If swift or whom ever was going 65 and you or whom ever was going 75
You or whom ever would beat them by 5 ½ to 6 hours

Lets do another say 5587 west 102nd st Los Angeles, CA going to 4581 e smith road, Denver, CO
1037 miles
Assuming the same stuff as last one up top
You or whom ever would beat them by 2 ½ to 3 hours

Granted some times you got to run fast to turn those loads but unless you doing 2000+ trip .Going faster does not mean beating the slower truck by much
Old 05-12-2007, 05:24 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid2874
If you drove from LA say 5587 west 102nd st to lets say 168 Wilson St Brooklyn, NY
Which is about 2810 miles Assume you logged legally and what not.
If swift or whom ever was going 65 and you or whom ever was going 75
You or whom ever would beat them by 5 ½ to 6 hours

Lets do another say 5587 west 102nd st Los Angeles, CA going to 4581 e smith road, Denver, CO
1037 miles
Assuming the same stuff as last one up top
You or whom ever would beat them by 2 ½ to 3 hours

Granted some times you got to run fast to turn those loads but unless you doing 2000+ trip .Going faster does not mean beating the slower truck by much
Had an O/O load same place, going to the same place, and he left before I did. He had the faster truck. I was 9 trucks ahead of him the next morning to be unloaded at a one dock warehouse.. We loaded in NC, and unloaded in PA. I stopped at Whites T/S and took a couple hours nap, and he said he got lost who knows where. This was after I had to listen to him brag cause he was a O/O with a Fast Cabover, and I was a company driver in a governed truck.. He was complaining about the long line and said he did not get a chance to eat breakfest yet. He did not like it when I said well I did get some sleep, and had breakfest there at Whites before driving the rest of the way.

So cause you have a fast truck, does not mean you'll alway beat the slow truck there.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid2874
I've learned that a long time ago! My truck is not governed, and i use it, once in a while(to break out of the pack, quick pass...etc), but prefer to run around 65, doesn't matter, what the limit is.
That's funny to watch, the same trucks, pass you 3 to 4 times, just across PA!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie
So cause you have a fast truck, does not mean you'll alway beat the slow truck there.
Absolutely true, but I will beat the slow truck there, and I usually beat the faster trucks there too. The key to this whole thing is to keep the damn left door closed.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie
Absolutely true, but I will beat the slow truck there, and I usually beat the faster trucks there too. The key to this whole thing is to keep the damn left door closed.
Exactly!
Old 05-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill

Hmm is that really right? I can lease to Swift and still have my own authority and book loads thru other brokers????? Hmmm if so how does that work out, would I just call the Swift dispatcher and say I want to run on my own a while....ummm sounds confusing, but peaked my interest.

Just confirmed its true...hmmm talked to a swift O/op about it.