User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Question to Owner Operators who run own authority

Question is specifically to Owner Operators who run with their own authority.

I am working on the Invoice module for Nautilus (See my website) and have some questions for you.

Since I am leased on and do not invoice anyone I really am flying blind on this one and need your input.

When you invoice a broker. Do you show just the amount owed to you for the load or do you show the total amount for the load and the broker percent and what is owed to you? In other words do you include the complete brake down on the invoice or not?

Do you always know how much you going to get paid when you are dispatched on a broker’s load?

If you have your own customers, do you discuss the rate before you take the load? In other words do you know what it pays right there and then, before you take it?

If you get paid per pound (per box, per unit, per whatever) do you include that on the invoice? Or would you like to include that information on the invoice?

Do you (would you) like to list all the trailers, containers, PO numbers; names of the person signed the bills etc on the invoice? Would you need to include the commodity?

Do you ever include more then one trip on a single invoice?

Dream mode on: If the world would be your oyster, what would you want to see on a perfect invoice?

I would appreciate you input.
Alexander N Owner Operator
www.alexandern.com
Old 04-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Board Regular

When you invoice a broker. Do you show just the amount owed to you for the load or do you show the total amount for the load and the broker percent and what is owed to you? In other words do you include the complete brake down on the invoice or not?

Only the amount owed to you.

Do you always know how much you going to get paid when you are dispatched on a broker’s load?

OH Yeah, or someones going to be mad in the end and it wont be the broker!

If you have your own customers, do you discuss the rate before you take the load? In other words do you know what it pays right there and then, before you take it?

Yup, same as above and it wont be the shipper whos mad this time!

If you get paid per pound (per box, per unit, per whatever) do you include that on the invoice? Or would you like to include that information on the invoice?
&
Do you (would you) like to list all the trailers, containers, PO numbers; names of the person signed the bills etc on the invoice? Would you need to include the commodity?

The important thing is the Pro# or load # given to you by the broker and then include a copy of the bill of lading which should have all of the other info already and 1 load per invoice.

Dream mode on: If the world would be your oyster, what would you want to see on a perfect invoice?

A check for the load coming out of the printer right behind my copy of the invoice!
Old 04-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Rookie

LOL. A check that comes right out of the printer. That would be nice. I would not be even driving, just printing.

Thank you for the info. Clears up a lot of things on this end. Thank you
www.alexandern.com
Old 04-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you run your authority, you are no longer just an owner operator. You are a carrier. Ideally, I like having a place for an Invoice number, pro number, confirmation number, purchase order, bill of lading number, pick up and delivery dates, shipper and receiver information, terms including the line haul amount. I prefer sending a single invoice for each load unless there is aging interface attached. In some cases the PO, confirmation number, etc., may be the same number and some may not have all of the other numbers. A description of the product is not necessary in most cases, since you will usually attach a copy of the bill of lading with the invoice.

A good rule of business is you don't move until all the terms have been agreed to and the paperwork has been signed. I NEVER accept a load until I know how much it pays and when I will be paid. I do business with both shippers and brokers. Most brokers don't want you to know how much they make, so there is no need to put that on the invoice. I only invoice for what I am owed.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Senior Board Member

I always put the commodity on my invoice as well as every piece of information about the load I can muster just in case the BOL gets lost or separated somehow. It also helps me so I only have to look at the invoice on my computer and not cross reference it to the my copy of the BOL in my files.

My invoice also has a printed name of whomever signed for the load. Once again, just covering all my bases. My laptop with all my invoices is always with me but the BOL are not. They are filed away at home.

My pie in the sky wish would be some way to email or fax from within the invoicing program. Right now I use a spreadsheet and have to save it then open up either my fax program or email to send it to a customer. I would also want a way to attach my logo to the invoice. I do that now but in your fancy program that would be nice also.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Thank you all for your input. I am on my way to TX and then back to WI for home time. I will try to incorporate all your remarks in.

Attaching logo is easy and faxing can be done provided you have fax modem on your machine. If I can send the invoice page from the program to printer I can also send it to fax.

Would it be beneficial to you to attach a scanned copy of BOL to the trip record or to invoice record so you can store it on your laptop?

I got to run now but I will be back with more questions. Once again thank you all for your input. I am an O/O and writing this software for all of us, but since I drive some 4,000 miles a month things are not happening as fast as I and many who use my software would want to see happening.

Be safe out there. Will catch you on flipflop
www.alexandern.com