User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I spoke with Melton today. They started with the fleece purchase. I thought she said that I would make almost as much as a company driver. I could of sworn she said that but I was thinking I must of misheard her. So I asked her if that's what she said. Yep that's what she said. But in the end I would have my own truck after a balloon payment of course.

I told her that I could buy my own truck, but she started telling me that my payments would be tax deductible. Unbelivable. It's like a mortgage broker telling me that I would be paying 9% on a mortgage but that the payment is deductible.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Rookie
Default Leasing ain't for me

I really appreciate all of the wisdom and experience you guys bring to this post. You are some pretty incredible, intelligent gentlemen and I thank you for sharing so much here.

I have been driving for US Xpress for a year now. I wanted to make more money and inquired about a lease for the heck of it. What I was told made me certain that a lease was the last thing I wanted to do. It's giving the company $22,000 to use their truck and at the end of the year you have renew the lease or make plans to buy it. I would rather buy my own truck and lease it to the company or find a good broker or try Getloaded.com.

Reading this post helped solidify that notion in my mind. I have a lot more research to do before making the leap and I'm not in a hurry because going into business is more than a notion.

Don't drive angry!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Senior Board Member

, but she started telling me that my payments would be tax deductible. Unbelivable. It's like a mortgage broker telling me that I would be paying 9% on a mortgage but that the payment is deductible.[/quote]

lease payments are tax deductible
Old 04-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Yep, lease payments are tax deductible. You dont get depriciation (sp?) though.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 04-12-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
, but she started telling me that my payments would be tax deductible. Unbelivable. It's like a mortgage broker telling me that I would be paying 9% on a mortgage but that the payment is deductible.
lease payments are tax deductible[/quote]

Yes I know that, but my point was she's telling me that I can make just about what a company driver makes without payments. And one of her answers to why shouldn't I just remain a company driver, was that the payments are tax deductible like that's supposed to make it better. She also said it again when I told her that if I wanted a truck I'd pay cash. Again with the tax deductible thing. Obvioulsy it's better to have no payments than a payment that is deductible
Old 04-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Board Member

When hubby was driving for Arrow, we checked out Melton and when I went over to talk to them I asked for a copy of the lease and they would not let me have one to take home and read....that is a red flag. So we never contacted them for any more info.

Arrows lease, if you survive, will end up with you owning your truck and you can take the lease with you to look at and let an attorney look at. Arrows LP, for what it is worth was not a bad deal. BUT you are still better off to get your own truck.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 04-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: California...yup beautifull Hollywood just over the hill
Default Re: Leasing ain't for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrat
I have been driving for US Xpress for a year now. I wanted to make more money and inquired about a lease for the heck of it. What I was told made me certain that a lease was the last thing I wanted to do. It's giving the company $22,000 to use their truck and at the end of the year you have renew the lease or make plans to buy it. I would rather buy my own truck and lease it to the company or find a good broker or try Getloaded.com.
Don't drive angry!
U knw if you just want to make $ in trucking, I would train there, I trained there roughly 6 years (started training after only 1 like you would) and made almout 2G a week there (not always of course but enough to widen my eyes at the paychecks), its set-up with the auto-shifts for trainers there to make big $ I believe more then any other company trainer program IMO, or is it just the company structure and discipline you want to get away from? being in their LP program, you would find out, they still OWN you under their LP program driver as much as being their trainers IMO.
Some guys didnt want to be their trainer cuz of the extra company scruitney, you had to kiss up even more then a normal driver, but IMO it WAS worth the extra $.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Leasing ain't for me

pepe4158

U knw if you just want to make $ in trucking, I would train there, I trained there roughly 6 years (started training after only 1 like you would) and made almout 2G a week there (not always of course but enough to widen my eyes at the paychecks), its set-up with the auto-shifts for trainers there to make big $ I believe more then any other company trainer program IMO, or is it just the company structure and discipline you want to get away from? being in their LP program, you would find out, they still OWN you under their LP program driver as much as being their trainers IMO.
Some guys didnt want to be their trainer cuz of the extra company scruitney, you had to kiss up even more then a normal driver, but IMO it WAS worth the extra $.[/quote]

It's a good company for a new driver but one would definately have to move into other areas to make money. I don't want to be a trainer because I know I don't have the patience or tolerance for it. So thats out of the question. I need my space and privacy. But I appreciate the info on the subject. I talked to a couple of lease owners and they are too happy. Some are going broke, others are barely making it and so I'm going to stay clear of that. What did you mean by IMO?
Old 04-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Board Member