BANNED
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBit
So, they are intending to goven all trucks back to 68 mph...and never mind all the lil four wheelers that are still whizzing by and the truck that is unable to go any faster.............Split speeds sound so dangerous.....
I rarely go over 60, I haven't had a problem yet.
I dont know how you do it, i couldntr drive 60mph in Arizona even if it saved me 2 miles per every gallon spent..
Old 03-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Hit a switch and disable the truck...........hmmm where do I get one and how much? I have a nephew that is learning to drive...could use that when I want to go somewhere.......

Seriously though I hope this doesn't go through.....we had governed trucks before and seems they didn't pull in the mountains the same after it was done

We have a genius in Tennessee (state legislator) who decided that all trucks in his part of the state should do 55 mph. So they changed the speed limit on I-81 to 55 mph for trucks. If you are not familiar with the area, there is little in that area except hills. So if you follow the speed signs you will shift more and burn more fuel since you cannot get up enough speed to top some of the hills without downshifting. Some people simply should not be let out of their cages. This guy must be a lawyer drumming up business from all those speeding trucks. :roll:
Old 03-19-2007, 01:24 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Since they changed the speed limit on 40 to Knoxville and 75 up there i rarely did 55 and i have rarely seen a truck that does, and i am yet to see one pulled over. I have been passed by tropers doing 70 together with others without any problems.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Rookie
Default Since

Less than 2/10 of 1% of truck accidents occur at speeds over 70 mph, this could potentially stop 2/10 of 1% of all accidents... And cause another who knows how many accidents. It's stupid, it's chronyism, and it's big boys trying to edge out small-timers. Their reasons have nothing to do with safety. Their reasons have everything to do with making becoming an owner/operator more expensive. That is their only reason. IF writing to your elected officials, make certain to mention that you are a registered voter.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Board Member

This came up while at a training session for my company a few months ago.

The head of safety for my company flatly stated that this pushing this in the name of safety is a red herring.

The McMegacarriers are attempting to eliminate a recruiting handicap (slooow trucks) via government intervention. There are portions of 80 & 5 out west where its safe to do 80 on a clear day. There are also sections and where 30 could be too fast in a rig.

But you can't legislate common sense and caution. Lord knows CA has tired but all they have would up with are bloated statutes, clogged courts and a class of parasite attorneys who shake down small business.

IIRC OOIDA pointed out that it also raises constitutional issues in that you have the feds regulating an area (speed limits) that is reserved for the states.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

IIRC OOIDA pointed out that it also raises constitutional issues in that you have the feds regulating an area (speed limits) that is reserved for the states.

True, and I'm not a Lawyer, but with States getting Federal Funds for Roads not sure if that'll work.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
Now rights are God given? Whoa. Learn something new everyday I guess.
Good grief! Of course they are. - From the declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776:
Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:08 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
It's your choice to drive; it's your obligation to follow the rules. Even the mandatory 68mph max rule, should it come into effect.
I don't mind 68mph SPEED LIMIT. If you read my first post on the subject, i don't drive over 65(with the few exceptions) even in a higher speed limit zones.
I just against anybody tampering with MY equipment, and reducing my options(once again, read my first post). :roll:
That is exactly how I feel about it,

I don't know why the different states don't just enforce the speed limits they have, instead of just taking the easy way out and cutting everyone back they should be out enforcing the speed limits for both cars and trucks, start cracking down on the dangerous, aggressive drivers, the ones who make the roads unsafe. Raise the fines for this type of driving. When we had photo radar several years ago in Ontario everyone slowed down, it was much less stressful driving through Toronto back then.

I like the idea of doing something to make our roads safer but I don't think this idea of limiting every truck on the road is the way to do it.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="GMAN"]
Quote:
So they changed the speed limit on I-81 to 55 mph for trucks. If you are not familiar with the area, there is little in that area except hills. So if you follow the speed signs you will shift more and burn more fuel since you cannot get up enough speed to top some of the hills without downshifting.
Is it true that if you get caught speeding through there, you get a second ticket, for "environmental pollution?" That's the rumor, but I don't actually know anyone who has gotten a ticket for this.

I just got on a dedicated run to Knoxville and back every blessed day, so imagine my jubilation upon seeing this change. It must have just happened in the past few weeks. I used to run I-26 from Asheville every week, and I-81 was 70 mph right up to a couple three miles south of Bristol. That 65 mph sign with the orange flags on it is still there, so I know I'm not hallucinating. That was February, maybe six weeks ago.

Is this 68 mph thing some real bill we can go comment on in a meaningful way? I haven't seen enough info in this thread to form an opinion.

I'm getting VERY damn sick and tired of the big companies lobbying for rules that screw up MY life. I like the fringe. I drove 10 years for a little 10-truck fleet that didn't have a lot of rules, other than get this there by then, and don't call me unless something goes wrong. Now I'm driving for an O/O I know. I'm a safe driver. I get the job done. Get off my ass, and leave me alone.

Why can't they just leave it alone? :sad:

I'm articulate. I've been out here for awhile. What can I do?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Board Regular

Someone please explain to me why a BMW has the ungoverned horsepower to go 200 miles an hour but a truck can't go 70 miles an hour?

The reason is because it is a privilege to drive any vehicle, not a right, and that we are responsible for our own actions. If we, in any vehicle, travel beyond the speed limit, we are the ones who must bear the consequences. Sure, there will always be that 1% in any population who has no regard for acting responsible, but we must not allow that 1% to shape the legislation for the rest of us.

It is not the goverment's responsibility to make decisions for us. They must only have the power to only grant us privileges or take it away if we fail to display the ability to be responsible.

When the Fish & Game Department of Alaska decided to change the rules for the crab fishing industry (last year they changed from a 3 day sprint season to a crab quota based on vessel size), hundreds of vessels sold their quota to the larger vessels and left the business. Regardless of the new rules, the fishermen ran as hard as they could to get back to port and return to their homes as soon as possible.

It is my belief that the American trucker will share this idea about a federally mandated governed speed of 68. Furthermore, I believe that the American trucker, who is the most experienced and most educated user of the American roadway system, deserves to be allowed the responsibility to operate at any velocity he or she so pleases. With any abuse of power, duly deserved is the revocation of said privilege and the fair penalty of acting with abandon. Our nation's commercial drivers are professionals and should be looked on as such. Our government and law enforcement are that which are capable of recognizing an abuse of power and a discernment of unprofessionalism. Please, do not allow for communal restrictor plate trucking.

How's that for prose?