User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Hang in there Henboy, i'm glad to see you havent thrown in the towel! How's the truck holding up? I know hauling those containers was rough on it.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT
Hang in there Henboy, i'm glad to see you havent thrown in the towel! How's the truck holding up? I know hauling those containers was rough on it.
He says he changed the oil. That's usually a positive step :lol:
Old 04-28-2007, 05:21 AM
Board Regular
Default Yes I changed the oil

I was scared when I chaned the oil and they found metal shavings on top of the drain plug.Through research on this site and asking my uncle mechanic it was more likely normal.Some of these TA out of school mechanics should have known that it was normal and not scare me.It is doing Ok for a $7000 truck that came with all the flat bed equipment and a former Landstar Inway truck from the previous owner.Just this pass weekend I learned to change the Hub Seal myself.At Landstar I sometimes haul 2000ibs, and the last time I hauled something over 40k ibs was 3 months ago.What a relief from containers!
Old 04-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Yes I changed the oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1
I was scared when I chaned the oil and they found metal shavings on top of the drain plug.Through research on this site and asking my uncle mechanic it was more likely normal.Some of these TA out of school mechanics should have known that it was normal and not scare me.It is doing Ok for a $7000 truck that came with all the flat bed equipment and a former Landstar Inway truck from the previous owner.Just this pass weekend I learned to change the Hub Seal myself.At Landstar I sometimes haul 2000ibs, and the last time I hauled something over 40k ibs was 3 months ago.What a relief from containers!
You should have an oil analysis run. You may be able to prevent a larger problem. What kind of engine does it have? I bought a tractor for $6000 once, ran it for 2-3 years and the top-end went. Cheapest rebuild I found was $10000 for B model so I sold it to the junk man for $3000. I wish I had kept it and fixed it later. My point is dont let that big problem sneak up on you and shut down your revenue.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Henboy, but it isn't normal to have metal shavings in the oil. You may have minute particles, but not metal shavings. Like Load It, I suggest getting an oil analysis. It isn't expensive and could point you to something that could be repaired now without spending too much money. If you wait too long to check it out, it could cost much more to repair. You may want to drop the pan and have the lower end inspected.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:27 AM
Board Regular
Default check out this link.I will get the oil analysis done.

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=26243