User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Registering a tuck in IL

I am about to buy a truck and I am so confused regarding the registration fee ! mileage fee! the federal tax ! can someone explain this to me . How much will it cost to register it !
Old 02-25-2007, 02:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You will need to pay the heavy highway use tax before you will be allowed to tag the truck. It costs $550/year and is prorated from July. This is an annual fee which must be paid in addition to other taxes. Some states require you to pay sales tax, others may have an exemption if you have a motor carrier number. You will need to get a title in your state. I have no idea of what it runs in Illinois, but in my state it runs about $8.50. Illinois is one of the most expensive states in which to tag a class 8 truck. In fact, it may be THE most expensive. If you run under your own authority you will need to have IFTA stickers on the truck and get an apportioned plate. We also have Single State Registration, or did. They are supposed to be replacing it some time this year, so I have no idea of what it will cost. I would expect you will need to pay somewhere between $2,200-2,800 as an Illinois resident. If you lease to a carrier, you may be able to get your base plates and permits for less. The state raised the taxes on apportioned plates about a year or so ago. My base plates and permits run about $1,700. The costs can vary each year. It is based somewhat on where you run.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:31 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Illinois is one of the most expensive states in which to tag a class 8 truck. In fact, it may be THE most expensive.
I'll second that. My truck is currently tagged in IL, and I'm switching to WI this year. The state swap alone will save me about $300.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Senior Board Member

I am an Illinois resident.

My base plates are in MO for $1700. Its upwards of $3000 (neighborhood) for base plates, almost a 100% increase from a few years ago.

Thanks blogojevich :roll:
Old 02-25-2007, 08:23 PM

How can you just switch the state you get a base plate from? Do you need residence in the other state? Does it affect insurance?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Board Icon

If you are leased to a company, you should be able to get a base plate in any state that your company has a physical location in (a warehouse, yard, etc).

If you are running under your own authority, you can only get a base plate in the state that you are based out of.

My particular company has warehouses all over the country, so I have quite the choice on where to get my base plate.