User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckdobe
Pardon, it's been years since we've had one. Remember having a 14615 tranny... that's what pointed me to that #...
that's a number I pulled off an old JWAC 3406B brochure. The torque on the 400hp 3406B may have gone up to 1450 later on when they switched from the jacket water after cooler (JWAC) to the air to air after cooler (ATAAC).
Old 02-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Try to post pics of the truck as it goes through the process Dobe, that would be interesting.

Dobe, you had me a little excited with your post I had to take a cold shower! :lol:
Old 02-13-2007, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

I love older trucks, have a 97 and a 77 kw and they both run better then most anything else on the road, that stuff about new trucks getting better mileage is horsecrap as well, show me an 08 getting within hald a mpg of either of my trucks pulling the same trailer and i`ll give the truck to ya.

frame stretch can vary greatly, i`ll tell ya one thing I added 8 inchs to the hood and 20 inchs to the rear of a 379 a couple months ago and that guy walked away 25 grand lighter :lol:
Old 02-13-2007, 04:19 AM

It's funny because I remember when my dad bought his 86 Pete new and we still call it "the new truck" when he retired and went to sell it people were calling and asking why so much for an old truck. I love old peterbilts just freakin love em, my dad gets mad at me because it just makes more sense now to get a later model truck just for the driver comfort factor. My dad bought my 79 in 88 and its in great shape but I just can't part with it sure the new stuff spanks me up and down the road(BC3 400) but all I need to keep "Old Aluminum" rolling is a handfull of wrenches when I look over at the new truck guys they have laptops plugged in and the cummins mobile tech out there. My only advise is to find something close to what you want once you start streching & cutoff's swapping suspensions you may open a can of worms that you will never finish.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
I love older trucks, have a 97 and a 77 kw and they both run better then most anything else on the road, that stuff about new trucks getting better mileage is horsecrap as well, show me an 08 getting within hald a mpg of either of my trucks pulling the same trailer and i`ll give the truck to ya.

frame stretch can vary greatly, i`ll tell ya one thing I added 8 inchs to the hood and 20 inchs to the rear of a 379 a couple months ago and that guy walked away 25 grand lighter :lol:

So what your saying is, that older trucks get the best fuel milege,
I have good drugs, but not as good as yours.....
Old 02-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Board Regular

Good drugs?? I absolutely got better fuel mileage with both my '93 379 (425c+++) and my '96 W900 than I do with my '07 W9. My '93 was just a hair better, my '96 was a full mpg better doing the same job w/almost the same specs (the '96 was turned up and weighed more).

As for the can of worms w/the stretch; it can't be helped, I don't go anywhere w/out my shower and potty. 250" just won't get it. I'll have my quote for new factory 350" this week, since the truck is 20 I thought it deserved new rails. :wink: The cut-off rears are a maybe. I have to change the ratio and will just be putting new chunks in. In my area the difference between rebuilding and replacing is around $1k.

I'll definately be taking a bazillion pix of the process. I can't wait to pick her up and take her home. That'll be a fight! Who's driving the new one and who's driving the 'new' one??? :shock:

This spring will be spent redoing the bolt on stuff, air dryer, air compressor, water lines, fuel lines, anything and everything. Summer will be the dash and some of the interior. I can't finish the interior in the cab until after the house goes on b/c I'm opening the back to unibilt size and they have to reinforce a bit. No need to do custom upholstery just to have it torn right back out.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Truckdobe- Ricky Bobby here, from over at LargeCarMag. Anyways, I was wondering if when you get this old truck re-done if you have plans of keeping the '07, or if you plan on selling it and running the older one? Also what do you haul and do you have any problems with wheelbase, and weight?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 02-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Board Regular

Going to sell the '07 when it's done. The '07 is a really nice truck if you like all of the new stuff, we just don't. Floating gas pedal is the pits! And, since they changed the tilt and it doesn't tilt to were we like it, why have tilt at all? Don't use the cruise, so we don't need that. Just like the simpler things in life.... :lol:

We've never had weight issues, even all the years we were independent. Tried to stick to partials most of the time and had a good list of brokers that kept us moving around profitably. We did have enough wheelbase issues to be annoying b/c of jobsite deliveries and such on heavy equipment... Leased on last year, haul jet engines now, so weight is not really an issue. They prefer that we be able to scale 36k and we can.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Board Regular

I have a 1985 FLC, 350 BCC, with a 15 speed overdrive trans. I avg 5.0 mpg hauling logs avg gross weight is 90,000 up and down some good hills. My engine is not strong, but then again it is only a 350.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Board Regular

you can't toy with the rail pressure any more either on the old heaps
In NJ the smoke test is strict and it must not tach out over the original specs.

The old motors did their job but the gave 4-5 mpg when nobody cared about fuel mileage.

one of the worst was the 8v92
lucky to get 4 mpg

cant beat the electronic motors and cruise control.