User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 01:48 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default HELP!! Which APU to buy???

I've read quite a few articles on these units, and have looked at the studies, and was mainly influenced by the one in Land Line. I am looking to buy an APU for the truck. I am torn between the Thermoking Tripac and a Rigmaster. I have been told that the Rigmaster is the best, and most comparisons show that, and for $8500 installed, I just want to make sure. The only reason why I have not purchased one yet is due to the fact that I see more LARGE companies using the TK Tripac?? My father drives for Wal-Mart and thats all they use. He loves his unit and swears it's a great performer??? I guess what I'm asking here is....
1. What unit have you purchased?
2. How well does it operate?
3. What has been the fuel gains?
4. Any complaints you have about the unit?
5. How much did it cost you for the unit?

Thanks in advance for any and all info and help.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:17 AM

I know Interstate went to Thermo King and Prime went to Rig Master.

I might suggest the Pro Heat though. Never had one but they have been around a long time. Have had 2 APU's in past and both went out of bussines shortly after I got it. This is the reason I am recommending Pro Heat.

There are new ones coming out all the time. Here today gone tomorrow. Just because some one major like Thermo King doesn't mean that wont quit makeing them soon. Cummings use to have one a long time ago and they stopped making them. Now they have a new one out.

Just my 2 Cents.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:22 AM

I am also shopping the APU market. They just seem way too expensive for what you get, but I really would like to have a no-idle solution. I have a four year old pickup truck that cost me $6,000. It just does not seem right that a little APU would cost more than my pickup truck? :?:

Anyway, I have a small sleeper, so I am very interested in the Webasto fuel fired heater with the Blue Cool cooling system. I like the zero maintenance aspect, but I wonder if the Blue Cool part would actually work.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member

http://www.pwenergysolutions.com/PW/....aspx?tabid=84

Old 02-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Senior Board Member

i`m on my second pro heat and no problems with either unit, I doubt you could go wrong with any of the bigger name units out there, a big plus on the thermoking unit is the ability to get it fixed anywhere TK reefer units are serviced.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Facts: the company I used to run with had about 250 trucks, they used both TK and Pro heats.

The pro heats had more problems then the TK's. The customer service at TK was better

The TK uses seperate inverter for power, seperate heater for heat, requring it only to run to recharge the batteries when they are low. However it has to run when using AC> till the cab reaches set temp then it shuts down running only fans till cab warms up then kicks in again to cool.

Pro heat runs all the time, if you want a seperat inverter you will need to put it in yourself to avoid needing to run your unit for ac.

TK monitors engine temp and keeps it between 35 and 90 degree's. I'm not sure if Pro heat does this or not.

Opinions:

I loved the tri pak when I used it. Had to have one peice fixed when it was defective from the factory and customer service was OUTSTANDING.

It makes more sense to me to run a unit that is not required to run all the time in order to do it's job. with the 1000 hour service interval on the TK and not running all the time you're looking at an oil change and such about every 3 to 4 months dependong on how hard you use it, how much you sit, etc.

I never ran the truck prior to having a generator on it so I can't tell you the difference in fuel economany.

I was told by a tech at TK that the tripak has an add on ability to keep your fuel warm as well. I have not confirmed this with any sales reps, nore have I seen anyone using it. But something you might consider asking.