Old 01-29-2007, 12:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
First off, thank you for using some of your time on a Sunday and answering my questions. Having said that, I got some more.

I'm a little confused, you said if you bought another step it would be 48 or 50 but in this last post you said you like the added flexibility of the 53. Plus if you like an 11' top deck that means you would need a 53 for the containers.

Quote:
I spec'd this trailer for my personal applications.
I kind of understand this but, let's say I have a few local shippers that I use to get out and for that application I only needed a 48' with a 10' top deck. However, once your out and need to pull a load off the board or one of your own broker contacts to return it seems to me the more versatile the trailer the better, which in my opinion would be 53' w/ 11' top.

Please bear with me, sometimes I apply what I've learned in construction to trucking, one of which is being as versatile as you can.

Quote:
The better paying loads tend to be the higher paying ones,
Truer words have never been spoken! :lol:
Did you mean to say higher ones as in height?

I am always glad to answer any questions. I believe I stated that if I bought another flat bed that I would go with either a 48' or 50' rather than a 53'. I think I will stick with the 53' on the step deck. However, I would consider a 51' or 52' step deck. With the shorter length you could hang off the end, if needed. You can't hang off of a 53' without being over length. You don't need a 53' step deck to pull containers. You only need to have 40' on the bottom to pull a 40' container. I can haul 2-20' or 1-40' container on my lower deck. I have 42' on the bottom. I could haul the same containers if the trailer was 2' shorter and still have the 11' top.

I like being as versatile as possible. We were getting more of a premium for a 53' step deck before more people bought them. The more who buy them the less specialized you will be thus the rates may not be quite as high. You can still do the LTL freight with them, regardless. You will never be all things to all people. You need to find something you enjoy which is versatile or in demand enough where you can earn a good living. One reason van freight is so cheap is because there are so many of them. Flats pay better because there are not as many and some people are not willing to work that hard. The same with steps. You will still need to tarp or lose some good paying loads. I don't like to tarp, but keep 5 tarps on my step deck. I had to use 4 on one load a couple of months ago. Had I not had those tarps, I would not have gotten that load.

You can do well with a 48' step deck. I usually don't use my entire deck for most loads. It is those which occasionally come along that require more deck that I need it. And as I stated, the LTL freight can sometimes use the extra 5' of deck.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

After talking to MD, PA, ON, MB, CT, NY to determine their laws and after talking to Lode King, Chapp, Transcraft, Doonan, Wilson, XL Specilaized and more, we take delivery of a 53 Wilson Roadbrute combo on Feb 10. Heres what I spec'd. ~$35,000. Supposed to weight 10,700lbs.

Sorry, I don;t know how to post the pic, but here's a link...click "alternative views, then look for "CFD 900 with lowered deck"
http://www.wilsontrailer.com/flatbed...te/index.html#

>48 or 53? or other?
53 because we required it.

>Length of top deck?
Not sure you have much choice. Think that depends on the mfg.

>Dove tail?
That's a tough one. I like the beaver tail ramps that convert the trailer into a full 43' lower deck when flipped up. But, IIRC, it adds about $3500 to the cost of the trailer. In the end we decided to use the ramps we already have.

>Steel frame or combo comp?
Combo for durability and weight.

>What type of floor?
Aluminum for weight, but they can be damaged.

>Fixed spread or sliding?
Must be sliding if you want an 10' spread AND want to run all states and provinces. Sliding axle adds about $3500 to the price tag IIRC.

>Container locks?
Naww. Containers don't pay squat.

>Recessed Chain ties? (not sure if there standard)
$24/per pair...we ordered 10 pair.

>Kingpin location? 18,24,36
We ordered 24...with the 36 we were worried about the truck hitting the trailer. 18 would have been OK except we were already fighting to keep the kingpin distance (trailer wheelbase) legal in as many states as possible.

>Coil package?
Naww. Coils are heavy and don't pay squat either.

>Ideal weight?
Whatever all your specs get you.

>Anything else throw it in there but please state why.
We, like Gman prefer the large rims because of the tires and brakes. With the small tires you should really have a tridem and then you 're getting into more cost and weight. We purchased a Wilson RoadBrute CFD 900 because they have a model with a 36" deck (instead of the standard 41"). They accomplish this by poking the tops of the tires through the deck.

Call each and every state and province and double check their laws regarding dimensions. That is the biggest headache. Most states require no more than 41' from KP to center of AXLES, however, CA requires 41' to center of rear AXLE (big difference). MD requires 43' to center of rear AXLE. To be legal in CA with a 53 requires a whopping 10' of rear overhang.

MOST, if not all states allow 40,000 on the rear axles if you have a 10' spread. Under 6' and you only get 34,000. IIRC, all provinces west of Ontario only allow 22,000lbs (11,000 each) if you are bigger than a tandem spread. AND, anything over a 6' spread requires a permit.
:roll:
With regard to axle weights, western Canada and the US have went in totally opposite directions.

My ultimate SD would be a screaming deal on a used $8000 48 but failing that it would be a 53 combo with a beaver tail, 22.5" rims, sliding winches, wide load lights, and a sliding rear axle that went from a 10' spread to a TANDEM (not 72") spread for western Canada. Don't even know if they make one. Axles would be positioned (CA legal) so the rear axle is 41' from Kp when in tandem spread (10' overhang). Don't know exactly what dimensions a tandem spread is, but it probably works out that the rear axle will slide ~6' to achieve the 10' spread (4' overhang)[/quote]

Good luck finding someone to build that trailer.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Rookie

An interesting and informative thread.

I have a question for rank. Has Ca changed their bridge law recently ? In my '05 Motor Carriers' Road Atlas it says, for semitrailers in Ca., "- - - 40' maximum from kingpin to center of rear axle on 2 or more axle trailers" If you go there with 41', you will be over.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

NFRay
Old 01-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRay
An interesting and informative thread.

I have a question for rank. Has Ca changed their bridge law recently ? In my '05 Motor Carriers' Road Atlas it says, for semitrailers in Ca., "- - - 40' maximum from kingpin to center of rear axle on 2 or more axle trailers" If you go there with 41', you will be over.

If I am wrong, please correct me.

NFRay
You may be right, Ray. I didn't look into Cali that much because we didn't think we'd be out there enough to make the rear overhang worth it. I think that's what Wilson told me....not positive though.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Thank you rank, I was hoping you would join in as well.