User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I've heard of guys at my company getting detention pay. It's pretty rare that we sit, most of our customers are either drop and hook or very fast. They tend to avoid the slow shippers/receivers. However..

A few months ago I had a load for a "major retail chain" with 2 drops. First drop unload was wed morning, second thurs morning at 10 am. First drop went great, tight as all hell(most guys have to get a daycab to get the trailer in) but it was ok, fast unloading. Second drop, I get there RIGHT at 10 am, on the load offer it says "DO NOT DEVIATE FROM APPOINTMENT TIMES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" etc.. Perfect, send in my macro, and I'm happy. Knock on the door. Knock again. Dude comes out of a different door, says "yeah they know you're here, just wait a bit". An hour goes buy, another hour. Finally I get pissed, and go for lunch. I go in the "front doors" and talk to some people. They page the person that's supposed to unload me. Wait close to an hour. Finally they get back, apparently I was supposed to be there yesterday. Uh no, I was 500 miles away, and that's not what any of THEIR paperwork says. They say go to the back and they'll break the seal and back me in.

I get back there and what do I find? They're loading a different truck that just got there! Idiot me, I should've blocked the dock. I talk to the lady(we'll call her Mrs. Bitch) and she informs me that I was supposed to be there yesterday, I say no, today, says right here on the paperwork. She was completely jarred. I explained to her that it was probably because of the holiday. The load was loaded a day late, therefore it's going to get there a day late. Not even a double team could get it there at their regular day.

Finally, 3:30 and I'm done unloading. Send in macro that I'm unloaded along with "I refuse to go to this place again". Add it to my list!

I didn't get any detention pay, pretty typical, but it's rare that I'm detained that long. Another time I was at USF holland and sat there for 8 hours! I didn't care, because I just slept in their yard a little bit in the way of everyone. Boy were they pissed! Add them to my list....

There's NOTHING in my contract that states I must go where dispatch tells me. I drive my truck, not them.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Senior Board Member

I've almost never had a problem on getting detention pay, for the "customer" load, brokers....that's a different story! :sad:
Old 01-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9200IH
Prodigy
I also am a nice guy and I would think if I called someone "spanky" I might not get treated the best after that.

Maybe after the guard said "yeah this ain't no hostage situation" you said OK thanks allot I will see you in a couple hours. Things might of been better for you.

Mike
Why should you have to kiss someones a#s after they act like a smart Alec to you? That's right just let them walk all over you, so the next gut has to take even more flack! Respect is something that is earned. Disrespect me and I will gracefully give you the same in return.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Respect is a two way street. We are all in business. I think everyone should conduct themselves in a business manner. However, I won't take a lot of guff from anyone. I am always respectful to people, but won't allow myself to be taken advantage. If it happens once, that is the only time I will put myself in that position. Most people are courteous. There will always be some who will show themselves. There are some who think that just because they are big you will do whatever they want. Walmart has quite a reputation with a lot of drivers. :x
Old 01-29-2007, 12:48 AM

Any story that starts with "I was delivering to Wal-Mart" or "a single engine plane" always ends badly.Smartin' up and stay away from both.
BTW G-MAN Steel whs. in Ind. my one and only time 15 hours for 12 skids of steel for loading docks.Twice as long to load as to drive to delivery.I did get det. pay, $50.00 whole American WOW!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:49 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Oddly whenever i delivered to either Wal-Mart or Sams Club i never got any problems as long as i came on time...

I delivered once in Missisipi and was late for my 4p.m. appointment due to DOT inpection in Arkansas and the guardshack got me in at 6 the same day. I must say that together with the recieving clerk i was very pleased with the service provided. some say different but that was me.

Now Wallgreens and CVS pharmacy is where i draw the line... :evil:
Old 01-29-2007, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

I have actually collected detention (I was suprised) on 3 separate occasions. $35/hr after two hours.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:44 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9200IH
Prodigy
I also am a nice guy and I would think if I called someone "spanky" I might not get treated the best after that.

Maybe after the guard said "yeah this ain't no hostage situation" you said OK thanks allot I will see you in a couple hours. Things might of been better for you.

Mike
I was looking at my first post and I omitted the part where... after 2 hours of sitting I called the guards on the radio and asked how much longer it would be and he was a dick. That's why he got called spanky. Why would I complain about how I was treated if I provoked him without reason??

I agree with GMAN, respect is earned, not given. And out here in "the real world" people who work in DC's, factories, warehouses, retail stores, etc. don't give a f**k about truck drivers, they go home every night, drink beer and beat their wives and children. They get off on playing games with drivers.