User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2007, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Not so Ultimate PM

I just hate when companies get marketing guys to do a bang up job promoting a product but the guys who are actually supposed to deliver that product aren't up to it- the Ultimate PM.

Basic oil change...more $ Premium oil change...more $$ the Ultimate.

I always get the Ultimate because I want a mechanic fingerprinting my truck looking for problems that could leave me on the side of the road if left unattended. I always wondered if the TA mechanics actually do half the stuff on that long checklist they give you, particularly the brake adjustment. Usually, they want you nowhere near when they work on your truck.

This time, I found a TA that let me watch the PM and I asked ahead of time if they'd give me the measurements on the slack adjuster travel which the service writer said they'd do. When he got to it, the mechanic had no clue about how to check slack adjusters. All he knew was to tighten them all the way down and back them off a quarter turn. I had to get another mechanic involved.

Come to find out the first guy was a 'lube tech'. He knew how to do oil and filter changes and how to check fluid levels, grease the fittings, but not much more. This is the guy who, according to their checklist is supposed to be checking and adjusting my brakes, checking belts and hoses, a total of 61 items.

The second guy was a 'certified tech' and I got him to level with me about everything. The quality of your PM, whatever its name, whatever you pay, has everything to do with the actual mechanic. You can request a certified mechanic, not a lube tech. I once went to a Petro and watched this mechanic torque the snot out of my slack adjusters and couldn't get the nut to turn. Finally, he got another mechanic involved who knew you have to pull a pin to get the nut to turn...I'm starting to get a little concerned about who I let touch my truck.

Where do you go for your PM's? 48 staters don't always have the luxury of going to the same trusted guy everytime. Petro, TA, Speedy Lube or whatever it's called... any preferences? Do you sit in the waiting room while any ol' guy is working on your truck?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I use Speedco,can't say I follow them thru every aspect of their job.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:33 AM
Senior Board Member

I guess about the only thing Speedco could do wrong is to cross-thread something. It's an LOF, but then nobody is checking out your truck mechanically. I used to know how to set the timing on a car back when we did such things, I once replaced a clutch plate...I'm still a truck mechanics dummy, however.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I usually have a local truck stop to do my pm's. I park my trucks there and they do a pretty decent job on the changes. They are as cheap as anyone else and I can and do stay with them to make sure everything is done properly. I have also used TA and Speedco. I just prefer my local truck stop. Since they don't seem to mind when I park my 4 wheeler or trucks for extended times, I feel that it is only right that I spend as much money with them as I can. I also usually have them change any tires, when possible. I feel that unless we support the independent truck stops we will be subject to only the big chains.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member

That's what I was wondering Gman, just what you all are doing. Maybe I shouldn't expect anything more than a LOF and just go for the Rapid, Express, Basic...
Old 02-09-2007, 04:17 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I get mine done at my Pete dealer. A little costly, but at least I know the techs are qualified.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmotors
I get mine done at my Pete dealer. A little costly, but at least I know the techs are qualified.
Gee! TF Motors!!
There is that finger again!!! :shock: Who pissed in YOUR Post Toasties???
Old 02-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Senior Board Member

That's why I do all the work myself. It doesn't matter which dealership you're going to, they all do shortcuts here or there.

I'll give you a PERFECT example.

On volvos the tractor protection valve is right at the back of the cab. A couple days ago, it started leaking, AGAIN. Pulled it off, and it was cracked/corroded and was leaking right out of the valve.

Go to volvo to get a new one. $180, how nice. I ask a few people, yup they go about every TWO YEARS.

Back to the truck. Well no wonder, they're made of cheap aluminum(most valves are). Not only that, it's right at the back of the truck exposed to a lot of crap, the worst being TIRE SPRAY.

Do you honestly think *ANY* mechanic will rectify this problem? NO, they're just going to slap in the new one, make sure it works, and off you go.

I just spent a while smearing the whole aluminum part of the valve with RTV. Now it should last forever.

Another example is the base for the coarse fuel filter. Exact same thing, that cheap white metal stuff. Mine leaked after a while. Now I have an upside down plastic jug covering it. It's right in the drivers side wheel well. Asked them about that too, yup they seem to go every 3 years or so!
Old 02-09-2007, 04:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Maybe I shouldn't expect anything more than a LOF and just go for the Rapid, Express, Basic...
That's what i do! I just tell em i want oil and lube, cheapest possible!
Cause it doesn't really matter, what the ad said, but i do watch it.
And if it's something more serious than that, i take it to the dealer! 8)
Old 02-09-2007, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfmotors
Gee! TF Motors!!
There is that finger again!!! :shock: Who pissed in YOUR Post Toasties???
You would be irritated too, if someone took your photo if you were wedged in the backseat of a convertible. :lol: