User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2007, 04:00 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A little advice, Please!

Me and hubby own 2 trucks, Hubby drives truck #1 for a company that is not taking on new trucks. Truck # 2 has been pulling a reefer (nightmare), the driver just quit and we have been thinking about Leasing on to a flatbed Company. Any suggestions on a company that might keep a driver happy for awhile. We are in TN, any help greatly appreciated. :roll:
Old 01-23-2007, 07:20 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

lANDSTAR COMES INTO THE PLAY AS WELL AS CRST MALONE AND JONES, PEEPS GET MENTIONED NOT ONLY HERE BUT EVERYWHERE AND THEY ALL SEEM TO BE IN THE TOP FIVE....

ASK GMAN FOR DETAILS REGARDING A FLAT-BED...
Old 01-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: A little advice, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverloose
Me and hubby own 2 trucks, Hubby drives truck #1 for a company that is not taking on new trucks. Truck # 2 has been pulling a reefer (nightmare), the driver just quit and we have been thinking about Leasing on to a flatbed Company. Any suggestions on a company that might keep a driver happy for awhile. We are in TN, any help greatly appreciated. :roll:
Try Buchanan hauling and rigging out of ft Wayne, In
I made good money with a O/O leased to them.
http://www.buchananhauling.com/index.php
Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Board Regular

Sale the truck and get rid of the headache! You are never gonna keep a driver happy and with the slim profit margins in what you are trying to do it would probably be much easier for your hubby to focus on making better money his self. I know too many O/O's who have bought second trucks and tried to lease them on and hire drivers and end up singing the same blues you are. The truth be known, if you could find someone that would run it hard you might make a lil money, but those types of drivers are hard to come by!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamboner
Sale the truck and get rid of the headache! You are never gonna keep a driver happy and with the slim profit margins in what you are trying to do it would probably be much easier for your hubby to focus on making better money his self. I know too many O/O's who have bought second trucks and tried to lease them on and hire drivers and end up singing the same blues you are. The truth be known, if you could find someone that would run it hard you might make a lil money, but those types of drivers are hard to come by!
Wow! I agree! :shock: 8)
Old 01-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Finding and retaining good drivers is probably the most challenging part of owning trucks. You can never pay a driver enough to keep some of them happy. CRST Malone will train experienced drivers to pull a flat bed. Landstar also used to have training for flats. There are some other carriers who lease on owner operators, but most will require some flat bed experience. I don't know where you live in Tennessee, but CRST or Landstar might work for you. Both carriers will rent you a trailer if you don't already own a flat. Freight is still soft in many areas as are rates. If you don't have previous flat bed experience, I would probably go with CRST Malone. For the best rates, you will need to be proactive. The truck will have a dispatcher, but if you only run their system, you may not do all that well. The same can be said about Landstar, except they don't have dispatchers. Most carrier's with whom you lease will assist you in finding drivers, but good ones are difficult to come by. Mercer is another carrier who does a lot of flat bed freight, as does Bennett. Again, I am not sure if they will train you in securement. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:10 AM
Rookie

Thank you all for the reply, We decided to get our authority, and do some local stuff with a dropdeck (rock, equipment, if we can't keep a driver happy I guess I will have to learn to drive. Ha ha! :lol:
Old 02-05-2007, 03:22 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I never owned a truck but a wise and succesful man told me have 1 or have a bunch because 2 will kill ya.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
Quote:
I never owned a truck but a wise and succesful man told me have 1 or have a bunch because 2 will kill ya.
We must know the same wise old man....he told me have 1 or have a hundred...anywhere in between and you'll hang yourself!!!