User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 02:44 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

my plan is or was to run west coast and make a income of minimum 15k to the truck. but i will tell you the truth i am petrified of depending on those load boards. i have no security blank with those since i have never used them. i am almost thinking about buying a nice day cab and running power only loads for schnyders power plus program or maybe even getting a trailer and running oregon to washington shorth trips.
but what ever i do i AM going to keep my plates and insurance under my name. I am NOT the guy to work for someone else i never have been and never will be. its just a matter of going big (otr with a nice truck and a 1.10. min to run the truck) or staying on the porch with the puppies and running local (which i came to a 95. cpm to run the truck but i can only make about 1.20 so it really doesn't sound that good either.
i am about as confused as they come.
over the road with a 8k min to just run the truck (plates, insurance, trailer, truck payment, maintaince, road tax's, internet web site bill's)
or local day cab light truck with a 430hp at least and yanking cans again but this time spicing it up with power only loads from the boards and maybe even getting a trailer to pull some short runs here in the north west.
some one shoot me or help me make up my mind before i go and do something stupid.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Steve is getting 1.80 and people here were jumping all over him. If you get 1.50 put on helmet and boxing gloves when you post it here. :?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:50 AM
Senior Board Member

You have your own authority pulling local containers now? But then it seems you don't have a truck yet. It's late, I'm confused. Mostly to lazy to read the posts again.

You should be able to get a used step deck for about $25,000. They seem to hold their value well so if it didn't work out you wouldn't lose your shirt.

I haven't a clue about rates out there on the left coast, but have to beleive you could hit your target of 15,000/month with a step deck (if your truck doesn't break on you). Even better once you get to know some brokers and better yet if you can follow the rates around the country.

Just don't spend too much on the truck. We just bought a '98 T8 with a 410 N14 and studio bunk from an old O/O who's moving into the office. 200,000 miles on the rebuild and it's a nice clean tight truck. $15,000.

If you can keep your expenses to $1/mile and average $1.30 for all miles and do 8,000 miles a month, you'd net about $30,000 in a year (before taxes and all the health stuff you guys have to pay). That's probably less that what you're making know but at least you will have tried. And who knows you might average $1.50.

But you've got to keep the expenses down IMO.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon
Steve is getting 1.80 and people here were jumping all over him. If you get 1.50 put on helmet and boxing gloves when you post it here. :?
I think Gcal was talking about $1.50 for all miles but I'm not sure.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Board Regular

i have my authority, still. i was running an old pos truck pulling containers and was getting loads from a local broker who was charging me 20% (yea i know i was stupid) it came out to 1.28 avg (loaded one way and empty back using schnider trailers.
anyway my truck took a crap and i sold it so now i am debating weather to pull local (Oregon and Washington) and be home at night with a day cab or getting the authority for the west coast and getting a sleeper to do otr. problem is i really need to be home alot due to home life so that is why i am thinkn9ing the best thing for me and my situation is to get a day cab and run local power loads only and also get a trailer (park it until i need it) to do a load from the boards here and there to help off set the low rates i get from this broker or at least till i land a good lane that i can depend on.

and yes 1.50 per mile would be my total avg WORST CASE situation. loaded and empty. thats my goal. what i would like to see is at least 1.85 (thats what i posted my truck up on the boards for to see what i get in response) now if that is far fetched that is were you guys come in with all those miles and years of driving.

as for step decks...i have never dealt with one and wouldn't know were to start. getting my own trailer period is worrying me cause all the experience i have is driving other peoples rig and using other peoples trailers that were drop and hook. i have done a live load and unload only a hand full of times for gordon trucking but that was it after i left there i never touched freight again it was all drop and hook for crap rates.

basically my problem is do i risk it all otr and load boards or stay put do what i know and have experience and settle for less. my family situation is that if i go my wife has to quit her job and deal with the kids but if i stay around i can afford to make less cause she will off set the bills with her income. so i am worried i will not make what i plan on otr. but local i know i will make little but it will be enough till i get either a lane local from some one worth a crap or get a trailer and figure out how to go over the road.

come on throw me a bone and some advice.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Board Member

OK I get it now Gcal. Sounds like you should be home.

I really can't comment on anything other than steps and double drops. Maybe I'm wrong but I think van rates are too low for anybody to make it off a load board with van.

I would watch the load boards and call about the day cab loads in your area to see what they pay. A few weeks of this will tell you about the rates and how plentiful the loads are. I find that the more expensive the product, the better it pays. i.e. machinery pays better than lumber and steel.

THen do the same thing with the regional loads. THen you can make a decision. If your wife does quit her job so you can go regional, I think she would have to look after the dispatching, billing and permits.

Working regional, I beleive you could safely assume 8000 miles a month at a cost of $1/mile before taxes and benefits. All you've gotta do is determine if the rates and quantity of loads in your area will support your financial needs.

Sorry to ramble. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:03 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank
OK I get it now Gcal. Sounds like you should be home.

I really can't comment on anything other than steps and double drops. Maybe I'm wrong but I think van rates are too low for anybody to make it off a load board with van.

I would watch the load boards and call about the day cab loads in your area to see what they pay. A few weeks of this will tell you about the rates and how plentiful the loads are. I find that the more expensive the product, the better it pays. i.e. machinery pays better than lumber and steel.

THen do the same thing with the regional loads. THen you can make a decision. If your wife does quit her job so you can go regional, I think she would have to look after the dispatching, billing and permits.

Working regional, I beleive you could safely assume 8000 miles a month at a cost of $1/mile before taxes and benefits. All you've gotta do is determine if the rates and quantity of loads in your area will support your financial needs.

Sorry to ramble. Hope this helps.

every little bite helps. thanks and no that is not rambling to me it is information for me and i need as much as i can before i make another decision.