User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Question about FUEL SURCHARGE.

I'm told that there is a law that 100% of the fuel surcharge is to be paid to the one that pays for the fuel in the truck. I've heard there is a very stiff penalty if it is not paid. But I have NEVER heard just what agency enforces that it is paid to the O/O.

The company I recently left was paying percentage (80%). But I've found that they were also paying that much of the "stop pay". Now, I've heard that they were only paying that percentage of the fuel surcharge too. I can't prove it. I only have someone else's word for that.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

No! There is no such law! It didn't pass. :sad:
Old 01-06-2007, 05:53 AM
Senior Board Member

The politicians didnt think that was important and that was probably best. Not all shippers pay fuel surcharge, so you have to factor that into the rate. The problem becomes, rate agreement does not state fuel surcharge, but lease operator thinks every load has a fuel surcharge, so he thinks he is being cheated/taken advantage of. Some companies offer their lease operators some BS amount of fuel surcharge and pocket/redistribute the rest. I recently had a shipper call and say they are readjusting their fuel surcharge to start paying on fuel at $2.30 per gallon instead of $1.15 per gallon. The new transportation manager said, get onboard or get less freight, I'm taking less freight and regretting it for the last 3 weeks, but it is that slow time of year. We are going to hunker down and wait them out. They will call again. How do I get an owner operator to understand this situation. I've told a few and that all responded thats BS, that sucks, F.. 'em, etc. None of those responses keep us paid. My point is sometimes O/Os dont see the whole picture, they see what they want to see then start quoting regs and calling lawyers etc. Do be informed, but try to be well informed.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Stiff penalty? Sounds like CB talk. I also get a % of my extra stops, but I am not being shorted, because I've agreed to it, under a legally binding contract :wink:

Maybe them taking 20% benefits you with higher rates. I'd gladly take 10% of the FSC if I was recieving high rates per load. Its all a "seesaw", just make sure in the long run, you get the fatter (heavier) side!