User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 01:44 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

well i make decent money but all it takes is for my company to decide to move to china where most the product i make is shipping to.......

is the southeast a bad area for trucking?

would i be better off buying a truck and just leasing on w/o a trailer?

or do i need to invest in to flat beds?

i am green when it comes to this industry i guess it can break you or make you? i hear some say its not worth it but yet some people make alot of money in it?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:22 AM
Board Regular

Let me ask you one question are you married or have any children :?:
Old 12-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Rookie

no im single still living at home
Old 12-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kausion
no im single still living at home
Ok well then my advice is to go OTR unless you don't want to because most dump truck jobs are low paying and you will get experience in all sorts of weather and situations and it makes you a better driver plus the company will pay for your CDL training you just are required to work for them for a year.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:51 AM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

"Dump trucking" is good business here on the West Coast. I got my transfer set built for 30k (I do not own my boxes, I lease them), and the truck gets paid by a tonage rate or an hourly rate of $80. Most guys at the company I'm at do 10-15k a month during the good time of year, some even hit 20k a month. Right now its raining and with the holidays many of us are sitting (which for someone like me who is used to running my tail off OTR) and it sucks.

I have no clue what to tell you if you should get into this where you live. I suggest you flag down some dump truck guys in your neck of the woods and ask them your questions. I work with a broker here, although I will soon buy my own box and work with numerous brokers in the area to try and keep my truck moving, instead of being married to the one I'm with now (I lease my boxes from them, can only work for them as long as I have thier boxes).

I think its easy work myself. I am 6 months pregnant and I rarely break a sweat doing this. I am however planning to switch my truck from the current set up (transfer) to a straight 10 wheeler dump truck because I want my truck to run for hourly work only, not tonage since the rates my broker is paying is no where near the hourly rate.

BOL to you
Old 12-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Rookie
Default Dump trucks

I did a whole business plan to start a dump business or take one over in Georgia. As to this state, one of the things is that GA does not allow a triaxle on the ground. Max straight dumps allow 60000 and it's strictly enforced. Another poster said dump trailers are not for rookies. I support that comment to the nth degree. I can't tell you the number of experienced drivers who have turned them over in a curve in front of a stone spreader or some other "leaning" place. You can make about the same hourly wage you are making now and with a CDL B (but why not get the A anyway if you are going to school.)

Don't even think about buying a truck now. The prices are high because demand in GA is huge right now (coupled with the emissions laws and folks buying up 2006 engines). Again, if you really want to do it, you can be home most nights, work 6 days per week and gain some experience and you should be able to get on with someone given all the construction around here. Oh, and be ready for night work if someone is hauling asphalt.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Rookie
Default Most important!

Do your homework fuel,license,ins, and truck w/payment all of that, then check and see what some of the people are paying(contractors etc.).Competition in the dump truck bizz is fierce too. Weather,politics are a major factor. Like most say get some exp. driving for someone to get the feel or learn the ropes whatever. I live near St.Louis and owning a dump truck around here is feast or famine, I've owned tandem dumps and dump trailers, at least with a tractor in "slow" times you can hook to a different trailer and survive.If you can find a job in Georgia driving dumptruck for more than $16.50 per hour paying overtime(around here non-unoin dumptrck drivers get about $17.00 an hour,union drivers get about $25 plus benefits about $42.50 total). I'd think there wouldn't be any un-employment in Georgia. Hourly rates have there good points as well as tonnage. One other point I'd like to stress to, have a BIG capital investment if you are going to jump into it and plan for the un-expected because it will happen. If you get your own operating auth. expect to wait 30 to 90 days on your money,unless the contractor files bankruptcy on you watch who you work for. You can files liens etc. but it cost money also lawyers etc. It's a rough business the new ones starting out have tough time so don't expect other people to be so gracious to help because you're taking bread off of their plates so to speak.