Old 01-10-2007, 06:01 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcal
now with my skills i would stop at the truck stop with the most drivers there and figure that is the place to fuel since they are all there. but i know i need advice in this area so some one help explain this to me again. please
Many drivers have no idea how much their fuel is really costing them. That is why you see so many drivers fueling in Indiana, where there is no fuel tax taken at the pump.
You mean Oregon right? Indiana takes 16 cents per gallon, and ex-tax is one of the cheapest places to buy fuel.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Another question on fuel tax.......what's in place to keep everyone honest? not that anyone would think of cheating, noooo
Old 01-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC
Another question on fuel tax.......what's in place to keep everyone honest? not that anyone would think of cheating, noooo

Heavy fines and regular audits.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcal
OK does any body ever watch "mind of mencia" on comedy central? you know when he makes fun of retarded people and makes that "dee de dee!" sound?
well thats what I fell like right now reading this DEE DE DEE!!! SOME ONE EXPLAIN PLEASE.

Now i see Oregon referenced in your posts "states that don't issue credits for overbuying fuel, such as Oregon"

i live here in this crap hole. and i will be traveling alot to California. i think (will know for sure next month) i landed a dedicated route to near Delano ca. its only loaded coming out and mt going back, unless i find somehitng off the boards (which i will desperately try) and it pays 1.35 per mile coming out loaded. but mt i need to find something going back they will not help me there.

now my question is were do i buy fuel to save money.

there are about 300 miles to the border to California from were im at and then about 540 miles driven in California. now with my skills i would stop at the truck stop with the most drivers there and figure that is the place to fuel since they are all there. but i know i need advice in this area so some one help explain this to me again. please
OK - Let me give this a try! Right now, I think your cost would be about the same, maybe a little cheaper in CA. Here's what happens - When you by fuel in Ca., 33/cents a gallon goes towards your IFTA "escrow" account. When you buy fuel in Oregon NOTHING is contributed because they don't have a state sales tax. If your truck gets, say, 5 MPG, then Ca. is going to want 33 divided by 5 or 6.6 cents/mi. for every mile you travel in their state. So for every 540 mile leg, you will owe them $35.65 which comes from your IFTA account. BUT - you also travel 300 miles in OR. with fuel you bought in CA.! Therefore, you are OWED a credit of 6.6 cents times 300 or $19.80 per leg. You stated that you live in OR., so they get THEIR mileage tax when you renew your IRP. If you buy all of your fuel in OR., then there will be nothing in your IFTA account and you will owe CA. bigtime. This is where a lot of O/O's make a mistake when buying fuel in the northwest. They see the pump price being 15-20 cents cheaper in Oregon, but they end up having to make up the difference at the end of the quarter when the IFTA man comes calling.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:04 AM
Board Regular