User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 02:07 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

What are you looking for?

It takes time to build a relationship with brokers and shippers.

We deal allot with CH Robinson. I have heard allot of bad things regarding CH, from people that I would not allow in my yard, much less my house. I know why they complain, they would screw up a free lunch.

When we first started with CH, the rates were OK. But after a few loads, with no problems, the rates started going up. Now after more then a couple of years, they call us. And it is not uncommon to get near, or over, $3 a mile from them. My average is around $2.40 a mile. That is, when things are rolling. Right now, you are lucky to even get freight, at any money.

And, we deal direct with some regular shippers, same thing. We just do our job, do it right, and be polite. If there is a problem, we handle it like adults. Same deal, the rates have steadily gone up.

I guess my point is, a good broker is what you make them. Make them happy (money) by doing your job, and you will soon know how happy they are with you when you check your bank account.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:20 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Dealing with brokers is a two way street. I had another carrier find a load for me not long after I had committed to another load. The load the carrier found for me paid more, but I had given my word that I would take the other load. The carrier couldn't understand why I didn't just cancel the other load and take the better paying load. This individual told me that she did it all the time. I was shocked that she would do that. It is bad business. After this conversation, I spoke with several brokers who confirmed what this carrier told me. There are a lot of carrier who are late, don't show up or cancel a load after committing. This puts the shipper and broker in a bind and makes everyone look bad. It also reflects poorly on all carriers. There are also brokers who will book a load with a carrier and then find someone who will haul the load for less. They will then cancel the load or not even bother to call the carrier. The truck only finds out about the canceled load when they get to the shipper. A few months ago I booked a load with a broker. The load cancelled. They offered to pay me for a truck ordered not used. It wasn't much money, $250, but I had not even left the house. I will use that broker again. Most won't bother to offer anything. I also had another broker in Ontario, Canada to commit a load to me when I was in Phoenix a few weeks ago. The load picked up in California. I drove within 70 mile of the pick up and called for directions. I was informed that the load cancelled about 10 minutes before I called. The load wasn't supposed to have been brokered to an outside carrier. I will never haul a load for that broker. I also have no recourse on any payment for my time. These are two examples of a good and bad broker.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:48 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Dealing with brokers is a two way street. I had another carrier find a load for me not long after I had committed to another load. The load the carrier found for me paid more, but I had given my word that I would take the other load. The carrier couldn't understand why I didn't just cancel the other load and take the better paying load. This individual told me that she did it all the time. I was shocked that she would do that. It is bad business. After this conversation, I spoke with several brokers who confirmed what this carrier told me. There are a lot of carrier who are late, don't show up or cancel a load after committing. This puts the shipper and broker in a bind and makes everyone look bad. It also reflects poorly on all carriers. There are also brokers who will book a load with a carrier and then find someone who will haul the load for less. They will then cancel the load or not even bother to call the carrier. The truck only finds out about the canceled load when they get to the shipper. A few months ago I booked a load with a broker. The load cancelled. They offered to pay me for a truck ordered not used. It wasn't much money, $250, but I had not even left the house. I will use that broker again. Most won't bother to offer anything. I also had another broker in Ontario, Canada to commit a load to me when I was in Phoenix a few weeks ago. The load picked up in California. I drove within 70 mile of the pick up and called for directions. I was informed that the load cancelled about 10 minutes before I called. The load wasn't supposed to have been brokered to an outside carrier. I will never haul a load for that broker. I also have no recourse on any payment for my time. These are two examples of a good and bad broker.
It can get tricky out here.

We have had a few of those last minute loads canceled. And our feeling is, that the broker got some sucker to do it cheaper like you said. Hell, we know that is what they did. We hagle our freight, squeeze every dime out of them that we can, within reason of course.

And ditto on the keeping your word. Very important out here. I would rather lose a few bucks, then hack off a broker that we have a positive relationship with. Leave them hanging, and they will eventually do the same to you.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Not long ago, I got a contract from a company. It was a single page. Most everything was in one paragraph. There was nothing in the contract about not competing against the broker. Although, I would not go direct to any shippers they sent me unless I had a problem with my money. About the only thing in the contract involved my minimum amounts of insurance coverage. I don't need to worry about getting paid. All of their loads pay COD. I hand them a check from the receiver, they write me a check, less 10%. I know exactly what these people are getting. It is very refreshing.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:08 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I also had another broker in Ontario, Canada to commit a load to me when I was in Phoenix a few weeks ago. The load picked up in California. I drove within 70 mile of the pick up and called for directions. I was informed that the load cancelled about 10 minutes before I called. The load wasn't supposed to have been brokered to an outside carrier.
Did you sign and fax back on this job? Do you make sure there is something about TONU on your contracts? How does this work? Is it possible to CYA regarding this?