View Poll Results: Should I go the O/O route?
Yes, It is a great idea! 12 48.00%
No, it is a dumb idea! 13 52.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

This is just my opinion and maybe I'm way off base here. But, I wouldn't buy a truck and become an O/O in the current marketplace. Theres already to many trucks out there. The more trucks the less the rates pay. Supply and demand. How many O/O you talk to are really making any amount of significant money to offset all the headaches, aggravations, rules, regulations and hassles just to have another "wife" to be married to so-to-speak, in the hopes you'll be able to make a truckload of money and be able to get ahead more so than as a company driver?
Bottom line is you still can't ignore the supply/demand issue and as long as there is a glut of trucks out there your chances of making any significant amount of money as an O/O is virtually bleak(unless you have your own well-paying direct accounts). Then throw in seasonal slowdowns, and/or any kind of world crisis that affects the industry (whether directly or in directly) and your window of opportunity closed even more.

As a company driver I think it's foolish to drive these days with all the regs, rules, sacrifices, traffic etc and not be making at least $1000+ per week - minimum. As an O/O I wouldn't do it for less than $2500 per week -NET - minimum. It's alot of responsibility for anything less.

So with all that said I voted No.

"Never say never because you just never know"
Old 12-16-2006, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawHAMMER
...maybe I'm way off base here.
Based on the poll results so far, you are not off base at all.
I see an overwhelming 2:1 ratio there that says I must be crazy.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:46 AM
Senior Board Member

You're crazy because you have no business plan. Sound like you're just testing the waters on becoming an o/o. So, for you, its crazy. I was an o/o on just about day one, and in my case, it was logical.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
...you have no business plan.
Well that is what I thought that I was doing, trying to come up with one. Is that so crazy?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Board Regular

Dual,

A few years ago I lost my dream trucking job, we lost the contract with Ford MoCo after 10 years. I worked 3pm to 1am, Mon-Fri, drop and hook on both ends. I was making $60-70,000.00 a year, driving some decked out Pete's and KW W900's.

I had a decision to make, find another job as a company driver, or buy a truck.

I bought a truck. I had just enough money to pay cash for a truck, and I did. But, before I did that, I found a company to lease on to. I picked a run, running the same damn hours I was used to, 3pm to 1am. I locked in the route, and bought that truck. I bought the plates, and insured my new little tractor. They handled the rest.

I didn't have a pot to piss in back then. Long story involving an ex wife, but I had enough to buy a truck and pull someone else's trailer.

I am glad I did it! And I would do it all over again, except for the ex wife! :wink:

With in a few years, I had my own authority and a small fleet of trucks and trailers. Would I do that again? No, I would still have gotten my own authority, but would pass on the small fleet. I ain't a babysitter. I failed in that regard.

Get your truck, because if you don't, you will regret it for the rest of your life. And you will make money out here, as long as you do your job. Because it is still work, and the responsibilities are greater. Just remember that you are a business man first, a truck driver second.

Good luck, and keep a level head!

On edit: I did not have a business plan back then, as I figured I knew enough about this racket to make a go of it. And yes, it is a racket. And guess what? Things are still going good!

Don't listen to the nay sayers, that bunch will never do anything for the fear of failing. Everyone told me I was nuts back then, now they want what I have. Not the hours, but the stuff. The problem is, is that they will not take a chance. They have their nine to five, and that is fine. But you don't get nothing for free, and you must be willing to make the sacrifices involved. Many do not have the balls to do it, and will slam MEN like yourself that will take that next step.

Keep a level head, and be willing to make the sacrifice, and you will be just fine.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Rookie

Best advice I ever got,.....put it all on paper, and understand it before you get into it.
Success will be yours.