User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 11:59 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ontarian Owner Operator in need of help and advice

Hi to all, hope all is great with all Canadian truckers.I have been a trucker for over 3yrs and have been an owner operator for approx 3 month, and have my own truck and 53ft trailer. I am currently working in Scarborough and doing about 2-3 loads a day from Scarborough to Brampton, I make $150 per load plus 10% fuel. I live in Kitchener and drive everyday to Scarborough and back(90 min trip). Unfortunately there is no way my family will move to Toronto. I am looking so hard for local loads mainly in Southern Ontario, I have been to and searched almost every single Load board websites on the net and I could hardly find a single local load in Ontario. I have no idea where else to look for. If anyone can help me how can I find local loads and or dedicated runs in Ontario that pay by the loads. I am not very happy with my current job mainly because I cannot get any loads going into the Waterloo Region which would just make my life a whole lot easier.
Please I am desperatly asking for anyones help or advice, it would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thank you and may God Bless you and keep you all safe on the roads.

Jose.
[email protected]
Old 10-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Ontarian Owner Operator in need of help and advice

Quote:
I am looking so hard for local loads mainly in Southern Ontario, I have been to and searched almost every single Load board websites on the net and I could hardly find a single local load in Ontario.
There's almost nothing for Ontario on those boards. Did you try Mill Creek....they're in your neck of the woods aren't they?
Old 10-28-2006, 02:20 AM
Board Regular

Jose, Mackinnon transport has a load brokerage division and they're located in Guelph. They are mostly flatbed but they do have some vans and they might be able to point you in the right direction. Also you drive right by the OTA office they should have some info on load brokers in Ontario. BTW you're working too cheap if you're working a full 12 hour day you should try to gross $800 to $1000. Just because you're not burning a lot of fuel doesn't mean your time is free.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Rookie
Default Ontarian Owner Operator in need of any help

Thanks for all your help, its very much appreciated. I would love to make $800-$1000 a day, but how is that possible. I've called hundreds of companies and brokers, and none of them will pay me by the load, they will only pay by the mile which would be almost impossible to make $800-$1000 a day locally. I understand the only way I can make that kind of money is being paid by the load, but how can I get brokers and or companies to pay me by the load. I was at MacKinnon Transport Inc and Mill Creek Freight website and read that they only pay owner operators by the mile. It is so hard driving everyday to Scarborough and back to kitchener, I hate it but I have no choice. I would appreciate any more help or leads.

Thank you and God Bless
Jose
Old 10-29-2006, 01:26 AM
Board Regular

Jose if you're an o/o using their authority [having their name on your door] it's most likely going to be paid per mile. If you work under your own authority and use them as a load broker the loads will probably be flat rated. To make good money you have to sidestep the load brokers and get your own customers and that means pounding on a lot of shippers doors. I personally would solicite local work from the brickyards and drywall plants in your area. It would mean you'd have to get a 5 axle flat but it would be easer to get the kind of money you want and keep close to home.